depression really sucks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive been depressed for a long time now and the medication that i have taken has never worked, i feel like im getting worse and that there is nothing i can do to stop myself getting worse. Ive only told my close friends about it as i struggle to open up to people and its taken all my strength and courage to write this. My  friends that know about it can see im struggling and can see that im getting worse and for their sake i dont want to hurt them anymore, if anyone can give me some advice or give me something to help then i would very much appretiate it as im struggling so much now just to stop my head thinking bad thoughts

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Personally I don't think anti-depression works. I think counselling would be the best for you. Your GP should be able to arrange this for you.

This should get to the root cause of depression, medication only masks it.

• Posted

ive tried counselling and it made me suicidal and ive had a phycologist pick apart my brain for the past 3 yrs and there has been no difference
    • Posted

I have to disagree with you, RHGB.  Clinical depression is an illness and it often has no root cause.  When that is the case, the medication is a life-saver.

I agree that counselling has its place, but it is by no means a replacement for medication in certain cases.

Pat.

• Posted

But the OP himself has said that it doesn't work and unless there is a chemical imbalance, it can't do much.

Counsellors and psychiatrists are a mixed bunch. I had one recently at the stroke rehab hospital who did cognitive tests as part of the final part of my therapy,she was great, there was a lot of pent up frustration within me, where I wanted to say sod it, I can't be bothered with any of them - expecially the neuro consultant doctors/surgeons who have a mighty high opinion of themselves.

But she understodd me, managed to talk me round and also visited the consultants and explained the error of their ways. And although I've finished there now, she left the door open for me, and genuinely meant that if I needed to go back and talk to her, just to email her, not need to go through the system for an appointment.

It's a case of finding a good one.

• Posted

ive tried multipul councellers and none seem to work, i just get to annoyed and angry that they just give up on me in the end
    • Posted

Have you tried a psychiatrist? I'm not sure where you are located, but I am talking from a British perspective.
    • Posted

100% with you pat.

Without medication I would still be in bed facing the wall with no concept time, family or my very being! No amount of talking could have got my brain functioning at that juncture! Let alone give me the energy and mindset to stop facing the wall..wishing to die! Antidepressants certainly got me at least sitting up after a few days!

• Posted

Same with me Lorraine, medication saved my life.

I had no reason to be depressed, there was nothing that talking to someone could have done for me.

I guess we are all different and we must try anything and everything to get some relief.

• Posted

ive tried them but again they dont work, just feel that nothing will work and nothing will be normal again
  • Posted

I felt medication just numbed me, that I wasn't me but my counseller told me think of it as my 'water wings and looking back, when I was really bad it did have it's place. There are lots of different ones available, maybe you need a different one  Counselling helped a little but do think it's about   finding the right  counseller, I had 1 that was brillant but another that I didn't gel with.   The best thing that helpedme  was CBT-Cognitive behaviour Therapy. Not aquick fix but very well worth it. It gradually trains you to look at things more postively. I ffind being creative and being outdoors also helps.My doctor referred me. And you've shared on here so that's a big step. Well done  and all the best.
    • Posted

i cant talk to anyone about this now because ive told those i have cared about and trusted and they left without a trace. i cant talk to anyone anymore as they will just leave me like they did

im physically as fit as you can be, i run everyday, i gym everyday, i cycle everyday, i box everyday, etverything that calms me down i do everyday but it doesnt work anymore and i cant do this anymore.

• Posted

Hi Matt

I aree with Lorraine on that, finding the right med can make all the difference which can take a bit but dont give up, if you have a good doctor keep at it, if he seems uninterested in your health change doctors. It will be worth it You can do this with help tay on this forum for help the people on here are very supportive and have suffered or are suffering the same a you. We wont leave you on here they dont understand if they have never suffered depression. Hang in there We are all here for you.

• Posted

You can talk to us Matt. 

You sound to be such a positive person, all that excercise...that's amazing. 

You CAN do this and you WILL do this....make your mind as strong as your body must be. 

• Posted

my mine is strong and i have the will power to do most but both of those are agianst me on this and i just feel like im getting worse everyday and i cant take much more of this
  • Posted

Hi matt

getting the right medication is the hardest part. Sometimes a combination approach works well.

which AD are you on now and for how long? If your not getting better, it's important to let your doctor know. There is something out there that will work for you matt. Also getting the doseage right can be tricky. Don't let this illness lose hope of getting better. You will! Please get your meds reviewed asap. X xx

God bless and wishing you better x

• Posted

ive talked to my doctor for the past yr on trying to get new meds or sort of what im taking but he isnt budging so i dont know what else to do
    • Posted

Aww matt ♥

You are the patient, if your still unwell after so long, your doctor is obliged to do all he/she can to assist your recovery. It's time to ask for a complaints from along with requesting a copy of the complaints procedure. Trust me that should get them moving! Matt you deserve to be well so fight for it ♥

How are you now? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.