Describe your back pain with IBS...

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All-

Going on day 11 with unrelenting mid to upper back pain (and gas, bloating, and constipation). Occasionally, throughout the days I have gotten abdominal pains that can be anywhere from upper L abdomen under ribs to lower L pelvic area. The back pain concerns me the most. It literally feels like a sharp stabbing pain on my left side that starts from just to the left of my spine at my bra strap line and wraps around under my ribs. The most intense spot is my back, though. Almost like an intense muscle strain or pinching feeling. It even mildly hurts to breathe. It was sore enough to keep me awake last night. Occasionally, I'll feel some dull referred pain on my right. It's so deceiving...it makes me feel like I'm having a back issue, but it all started when the constipation did. Can you all share your back pain issues related to IBS? Anyone else have this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ooh ow, i think your bowel sounds blocked! Try to take some laxatives maybe. I think your in pain like i am finding i get sometimes and i am always advised to take some Fybogel or Laxido or something similar. Drink masses, eat a bland diet and take the laxatives. If you are unsure your chemist sre you best port of call until you get into your doctor's. I would see your doctor to double check what this is though. Good luck i hope you get it sorted!

• Posted

Hi Charcey, How long have you been constipated ,if some time i would suggest you take a suppository to clear yourself,and also go and see your doctor .It is possible that you have ibs ,however i would suggest you go and see your doctor ,so that he can give you tests to rule out anything else.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. First, I was diagnosed with IBS years ago. Second, I am no longer constipated with the help of laxatives. The back pain and abdominal discomforts still persist and I have heard others in the past say this has been the case for them even, after treating themselves. I just want to find out the quality and feeling of that back pain for those who have dealt with that to see if my symptoms are similar. Thanks.

• Posted

Back pain is very normal with IBS so don't worry at all about it. Painkillers and antispasmodics help with the pain. I had short lived IBS back pain which was made worse by my back injury. The lower portion of the bowel wraps around the lower part of the back and when your bowel is in spasm, the pain can radiate to that area. If you are stressing about your pain, the flare up will be a lot worse and longer lasting; try to relax. My very first flare up lasted continuously for three and half months because I was stressing about my symptoms and getting no help from my doctors. Once I was diagnosed and stopped worrying, my symptoms got better. Don't concentrate on how long you have had your flare up because this will cause more stress. IBS thrives on anxiety. Instead, try to distract your mind with things you enjoy; I tried this and it worked for me. When out with friends, my pain subsided, when I got home and started panicking about my symptoms, my pain came back.

• Posted

HI Pippa58442 Thank you for this! I hope you are still on this forum and read this, this is the closest to exact that i have been dealing with... you did not mention if you changed your diet and also if your bowel movements were regular or not during the episode... I would be very curious... Thanks

• Posted

Trapped wind . ibs tablets. & old fashioned castor oil . might just help . not the windies tabs , the IBS tabs

• Posted

IBS tabs are antispasmodics such as Buscopan, Alverine, Bentyl, and Mebeverine. There are others called silliocogel, senocalm and Colpermin. They are designed for IBS symptoms such as pain and bowel habit change.

• Posted

Hi .Charcey 97. Colpermin . was given by hospital when i had flair up. but due to the pain read instructions wrong took them after food . but should be about half an hour before due to eat , doc said it is the aspirin i take that is causing my bowel to be inflamed plus blood pressure meds. also he said due to inflammation, not absorbing iron through the gut .that's making me tired. he said make appointment with GP .I just wonder what else is not being Absorbed as well as Iron ?

• Posted

I am going through the exact same pain in the same areas. I think can this be IBS but have found on forums that this seems to be common. My discomfort is in my side moves around and generates around to my back particularly my left shoulder blade and bra line. It kept me up last night.... I have today kept my diet really simple and just eaten fruit smoothies and a fibre bar. I do feel a bit better today by keeping my diet simple. Im off to the docs on Tuesday to discuss so will let you know what she thinks. This IBS thing is such a boring struggle...

• Posted

That it is, sabab172! I HATE that the symptoms are always changing, which always makes me second guess whats happening with my body. Thank you for the reply.

• Posted

Hi sabab172, could you please clarify if this was attributable to your IBS? I have fairly similar symptoms including abdominal and flank pain, with pain occuring at the base of my left shoulder blade. Concerned it may be my pancreas but my doctor has been leaning towards IBS

• Posted

Sorry you are in so much pain. It sounds as if it could also be diverticulitis... I was once admitted to hospital with severe pain caused by that. In addition to the other suggestions made you might find a hot water bottle or similar heat source soothing. I often find it helps soothe the pain. wish you better!

• Posted

Hi CHarsey , just found new possible remedy, 5htp. or serotonin , for constipation , not tried it myself yet , but sounds like could help. have a look .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.