Describe your back pain with IBS...

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All-

Going on day 11 with unrelenting mid to upper back pain (and gas, bloating, and constipation). Occasionally, throughout the days I have gotten abdominal pains that can be anywhere from upper L abdomen under ribs to lower L pelvic area. The back pain concerns me the most. It literally feels like a sharp stabbing pain on my left side that starts from just to the left of my spine at my bra strap line and wraps around under my ribs. The most intense spot is my back, though. Almost like an intense muscle strain or pinching feeling. It even mildly hurts to breathe. It was sore enough to keep me awake last night. Occasionally, I'll feel some dull referred pain on my right. It's so deceiving...it makes me feel like I'm having a back issue, but it all started when the constipation did. Can you all share your back pain issues related to IBS? Anyone else have this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I feel as if there is a ring of bowel in my lower back which gives pain when stretched. My back feels heavy.

• Posted

The lower part of your bowel wraps round your lower back. Often IBS patients get lower back pain because of this.

• Posted

hi charcey, i don't like the sound of what you're describing. it's sounds nasty and very painful. have you twisted anything, coughed, lifted anything or done anything to your bank you can remember? i am not being rude asking this but asking what the doctors would ask. what can you try for pain relief and have you spoken to anyone about the amount of pain you're in? it may be a good idea to either see your chemist or speak to the 111 service if you're in England to get some advice. try some heat because it might help your back to feel a bit soothed. back pain is nasty but doctors can do something so can physios. good luck trying to sort this, it doesn't sound good though. 😥

• Posted

i have a pain on the left side of back between shoulder blade and spine i have had it 3 months and sometimes it feels like a tightening cramping muscle i also have ibs which gives me a lot of pain under ribs stomach and chest

doctor thinks my back is muscular so am awaiting physio

seeing this post has now made me wonder if ibs could be affecting it

• Posted

I have the exact same for around the same amount of time. I also have muscle spasms you can feel in my back they're very tight and taut... do you have that if you feel back there/have someone massage? I have pains in ribs but it feels like nerve back maybe bc of back. I sit for 9+ hours everyday at a computer with terrible posture and wondering if that has anything to do with it. I had gastro issues too at the start of all this but that has mainly vanished. Ive had scans of abdomen like Xrays, ultrasounds, CT, etc. all comes back neg. so im not thinking it is a back issue. going thru physio but just started. I hope you get some relief soon. Would love to know how you get on with this... do you have a desk job?

• Posted

good day, i've been having this crazy pain under my rib, all my back, it affects my lungs(it doesnt all my lungs to take in more oxygen which inturn affect my heart from beating properly, anxiety over the roof. ive been in and out of the hospital without any real difference, im kinda scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.