Desperate for help! Can't swallow anything!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

I'll try and make this as short as possible...

I've never had any history with heartburn.

Six weeks ago I started getting an irritated "swollen" feeling around my throat.

Doctors put me on Omeperazole 2x a day, did nothing.

Got put on Lansaperazole (Sorry if I'm spelling these wrong) but they made me twice as bad.

Got put on Ranitidine, did nothing.

Got sent for a chest xray, nothing showed.

By now I can eat little amounts, plain stuff, no sauces... Constant acid in my mouth, forced belching after every sip/mouthful. Got given Gaviscon, it did nothing. 

Had mildly spicy enchiladas on Saturday night... I don't like spicy food so believe me when I say they were mild.

Had horrendous constipation followed my explosive diarrhoea followed by vomiting. 

Started choking on my meals Sunday 19th August.

Didn't eat for 24 hours. Tried a tiny thumb size slice of bacon and I swallowed it and choked on it.

Had an endoscopy that was very traumatic, again, showed nothing.

Got taken to hospital in an ambulance after they bruised me internally and I was in agony!!! Was kept overnight and given morphine. Surgeon recommended this weird rare stuff that tastes like lemon drizzle and begins with C (Clarifim? Or something? I'll edit this properly when I can find the energy to go downstairs and grab the bottle.) It was so rare, 3 of the doctors around him had never even heard of it. It helped me swallow liquids as by this point I was badly dehydrated from not being able to keep fluid down.

Got discharged Thursday, was assured this stuff would work and stop the spasms. Been five days now and I still haven't eaten a damn thing. Went back Friday as I was still in pain. Got given more Omeperazole and was told to take it 5x a day along with an anti sickness tablet. Anti sickness tablets made me feel like I hadn't slept in a month so stopped taking them after three mornings of doing nothing but sleeping. The 5x doses of Omeperazole seem to be doing nothing.

I'm losing weight like no tomorrow (13lbs down in a week.) Managing to drink some Complan meal replacements and last night I managed about a quarter of a tin of spaghetti hoops before starting to feel like I was suffocating.

I'm not sleeping, I'm not eating, I can't go out as my mouth floods with thick white frothy foam that I can't swallow without choking. I carry a sick bowl around with me everywhere I go in the house which I have to wash out 4-5 times a day. It's worse at night and I usually choke up some acid and foam all throughout the night.

Severely depressed. I'm 24, overweight and was actively trying to lose the weight before this happened. I had a happy, normal life with a great social life, family and boyfriend. Now they're all sick of me being ill ALL THE TIME. I can't drink or go on nights out, I can't go for meals, I can't even cook anything and sit down to eat. The last solid food I had was a piece of grilled chicken which I chewed and coughed up. The hospital had me try a ginger biscuit smushed in milk, and that didn't go down either.

I'm absolutely desperate. I've tried loads of recommendations from other forum posts such as baby gripe water, anti-gas tablets, fibre supplements... Nothing is working.

Basically, I feel like someone has their hands around my throat at all times and is pushing on the base of my neck. Once I "pop" the air in my throat (force burp, which I do about 500x a day roughly) my stomach gurgles and replaces it straight away.

Couldn't even eat a Mr Whippy or some melted down fudge at the sea side today for my dad's birthday. Silently cried the whole way home as I know I'm making everything dreadful.

Sorry I know I said I'd keep this short... I'm beyond desperate for help, I just want my life back! Before I was sick that night I could at least eat small portions! Now I can't eat anything at all. I can't believe the endoscopy came back clear, I was 100% sure I had a Hiatal hernia...

Any help... Anything at all is appreciated while I wait for my doctors appointment tomorrow....

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just eat very plain foods like fish cooed in foil in oven potatoes boiled and mashed so soft to swollow and no hot drinks very cold drinks coffee alcohol or spiced foods don't eat late at night before bed time raise the top of bed higher then bottom sk you don't get food or acid come up in night , did they see anything when they put Cameras down 

• Posted

Hello Gillian, thanks for the advice. Even in hospital when I was dehydrated and hadn't eaten a thing for nearly 3 days at this point I was still getting the acid at night. Cleared out about 6/7 sick bowls full of white frothy foam. Would try fish, but can't even manage liquids at the moment. No, the endoscopy came back clear which I was devastated about as I wanted them to find something so I could start moving forward if that makes sense. 

• Posted

Ask for motilium pills or domperidone - maybe you need some Xanax to relax your muscles or some muscle relaxer

Don’t sleep laying down

Don’t bend over

Keep us posted  

• Posted

Thank you, I will ask for this tomorrow. When I do sleep, I'm propped up on 4 pillows, as you can imagine, it's not very comfortable and I rarely sleep these days. I'm 24 but feel like I'm 90!! 

• Posted

Hi Jasmin.  I'm so sorry to hear how much you're suffering!  You should ask for a barium swallow test if you haven't had that yet and a manommety test because you may have Achalasia.  This is a very rare swallowing disease but the good news is that there are surgeries and procedures that usually help. I don't know if you have this but it's worth checking out.  There may be other things going on as well but that's one place to start.  I hope you get some answers soon!

• Posted

Hi Jasmin so sorry for you, would you have anxiety by any chance. Sometimes we get a lump in out throat it's called globus sensation, Google it. Also acid reflux can cause the lump sensation as well. Also the acid causes a lot of damage to the esophagus one eg is narrowing, due to acid corrosion, I have this. I was told our stomachs are our second brain, meaning if we're stressed it affects our digestive system. Even try YouTube there's lots of people with all sorts of digestion tips. Good luck, I'm sure it will sort itself out. Xx

• Posted

Hi Lou, I was admitted to hospital yesterday with dehydration. Had a camera down my nose and throat which didn't show anything but some slight nasal swelling. Waiting on the swallow and am being seen by some speech and language people so they can watch me eat and drink! I only have anxiety because of this really! Will keep everyone posted. 

• Posted

Exactly the same happened to me last week. I had a feeling of something lodged in the back of the throat but only sometimes after eating. I researched on the internet worried abour my barrets E. This research made me so worried I had a panic attack. Prior to this the gp refered me to the ENT clinic. Two different consultants put cameras down my nose and throat and said all was ok. One doctor diagnosed me with globus sensation a mind induced and false feeling of something stuck in the throat. He said it had nothing to do with the esophagus which is obviously further down below from the throat. Anxiety and stress makes globus worse. For me globus started due to a cough and infection that made me constantly clear my throat.
    • Posted

Did it ever get better? I'm still in hospital and haven't been discharged yet. Still spitting up white foam,  I clear a sick bowl with it at least once every 2 hours. Had the Barium swallow which showed I had residue in my stomach??? When there shouldn't have been as I didn't drink for almost 10 hours and hasn't eaten in 12 days, so will wait for the consultant and see what he says. I'm not in pain! Just sick of always feeling like I'm choking and spitting up food. Managed a small slice of toast and some apple juice yesterday although I did spit out a lot of it. Doctors are baffled as the swallow showed no obstruction and the fluid went down well. I did faint afterwards which was embarrassing though. What  am I missing? The constant thick yellow foam is doing my head in. Omeperazole doesn't work even though they keep insisting on giving it to me. 🙄

• Posted

Hey just an update... discharged myself from hospital after being told i wouldn't be seen for nearly four days. Went back to the GP who put me on 2mg of Diazepam and 30mg of Lansoperasole tablets which melt on the tongue. I bought an anti mucus for my throat but my life is still a living hell. I still can't swallow food, icecream and replacement shakes me breathless. Today I tried a crumpet and I had to spit it all out and try again, took me nearly half an hour... was so unpleasant I honestly don't feel like eating ever again. Still clearing my throat of this trapped air every 2-5 minutes with gurgling in my chest replacing it straight away. Feeling very depressed. Tried some Windeez tablets but they did nothing. Feel at a complete loss. Been told to wait a week for this new medication to work, but I don't have time!!!! I go traveling in 30 days and I'm so beyond upset that I won't get to eat and drink with my trekers. When I eat it sits in my throat and i cough and splutter and choke up bile and undigested food constantly. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it, i haven't eaten a proper meal in weeks!!! 

• Posted

Ask your doctor for motilium 
    • Posted

I did. He didn't think they were needed as I had a bad reaction to the metrochloprimide I was given. I'm struggling so much, I'm eating baby food and even that isn't going down well. Constant belching up trapped air and coughing and gagging with every mouthful. I'm getting severely depressed and the GP won't see me until a week has passed as he said that's how long this Lansoperasole will take to work... I am not hopeful. 

• Posted

Ask your  doctor for a different PPI  OR TRY ZANTAC as WELL AS yours PPI medication 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.