Desperate for help! Can't swallow anything!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

I'll try and make this as short as possible...

I've never had any history with heartburn.

Six weeks ago I started getting an irritated "swollen" feeling around my throat.

Doctors put me on Omeperazole 2x a day, did nothing.

Got put on Lansaperazole (Sorry if I'm spelling these wrong) but they made me twice as bad.

Got put on Ranitidine, did nothing.

Got sent for a chest xray, nothing showed.

By now I can eat little amounts, plain stuff, no sauces... Constant acid in my mouth, forced belching after every sip/mouthful. Got given Gaviscon, it did nothing. 

Had mildly spicy enchiladas on Saturday night... I don't like spicy food so believe me when I say they were mild.

Had horrendous constipation followed my explosive diarrhoea followed by vomiting. 

Started choking on my meals Sunday 19th August.

Didn't eat for 24 hours. Tried a tiny thumb size slice of bacon and I swallowed it and choked on it.

Had an endoscopy that was very traumatic, again, showed nothing.

Got taken to hospital in an ambulance after they bruised me internally and I was in agony!!! Was kept overnight and given morphine. Surgeon recommended this weird rare stuff that tastes like lemon drizzle and begins with C (Clarifim? Or something? I'll edit this properly when I can find the energy to go downstairs and grab the bottle.) It was so rare, 3 of the doctors around him had never even heard of it. It helped me swallow liquids as by this point I was badly dehydrated from not being able to keep fluid down.

Got discharged Thursday, was assured this stuff would work and stop the spasms. Been five days now and I still haven't eaten a damn thing. Went back Friday as I was still in pain. Got given more Omeperazole and was told to take it 5x a day along with an anti sickness tablet. Anti sickness tablets made me feel like I hadn't slept in a month so stopped taking them after three mornings of doing nothing but sleeping. The 5x doses of Omeperazole seem to be doing nothing.

I'm losing weight like no tomorrow (13lbs down in a week.) Managing to drink some Complan meal replacements and last night I managed about a quarter of a tin of spaghetti hoops before starting to feel like I was suffocating.

I'm not sleeping, I'm not eating, I can't go out as my mouth floods with thick white frothy foam that I can't swallow without choking. I carry a sick bowl around with me everywhere I go in the house which I have to wash out 4-5 times a day. It's worse at night and I usually choke up some acid and foam all throughout the night.

Severely depressed. I'm 24, overweight and was actively trying to lose the weight before this happened. I had a happy, normal life with a great social life, family and boyfriend. Now they're all sick of me being ill ALL THE TIME. I can't drink or go on nights out, I can't go for meals, I can't even cook anything and sit down to eat. The last solid food I had was a piece of grilled chicken which I chewed and coughed up. The hospital had me try a ginger biscuit smushed in milk, and that didn't go down either.

I'm absolutely desperate. I've tried loads of recommendations from other forum posts such as baby gripe water, anti-gas tablets, fibre supplements... Nothing is working.

Basically, I feel like someone has their hands around my throat at all times and is pushing on the base of my neck. Once I "pop" the air in my throat (force burp, which I do about 500x a day roughly) my stomach gurgles and replaces it straight away.

Couldn't even eat a Mr Whippy or some melted down fudge at the sea side today for my dad's birthday. Silently cried the whole way home as I know I'm making everything dreadful.

Sorry I know I said I'd keep this short... I'm beyond desperate for help, I just want my life back! Before I was sick that night I could at least eat small portions! Now I can't eat anything at all. I can't believe the endoscopy came back clear, I was 100% sure I had a Hiatal hernia...

Any help... Anything at all is appreciated while I wait for my doctors appointment tomorrow....

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

try some gravol, anti nausea med....sometimes believe it not it works.
    • Posted

Is this prescription? I am also gaining weight despite not eating after the initial 20lb weight loss... Very worried about that. rolleyes
  • Posted

Please keep posted

Hope they figure it all out

Don’t despair - be positive 

• Posted

I'm so sorry for what your going through. I've been through some some of the same struggles. For me I found out by accident. Were to stop all PPI meds. I'd eat breakfast & lunch after five id drink white wine mixed with water. (Mostly water) the wine will restore digestive system naturally. At times it'll give horrible reflux I'd just keep drinking. In time I found that Everytime I had reflux the wine would flush it our the south end ( gross sorry) I averaged wine 6mths outta the year and vanilla ice cream the other half. Eventually my stomach went back to normal. Where I don't need either. I've take every PPI out there. Had 2 endoscopy and radiation digestive test. Eventually i learned DRs do not care. You'll need to find what works for you naturally. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Got given an anti depressant and another anti-sickness. The anti sickness left me breathless and disorientated so stopped taking, and the anti depressant at least helps me sleep. Asked for domperidone and they said they didn't give it to patients anymore. I'm still not eating much, although managing small meals. Severe constipation and when I went the stool was black. Doctor said it's the iron tablets I'm on and that was that. Have to wait till the 18th to see a doctor as an outpatient.. I travel in less than three weeks now and not hopeful I'll be better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.