DESPERATELY NEEDING ADVICE ON BLADDER PROLAPSE

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi. I am DESPERATE!  I need advice on pros & cons of treatments to manage a female bladder prolapse, preferably without surgery. I have been considering a Pessary Ring but would like to hear from other users about their experiences. 

Can you feel it after it has been fitted?

Has anyone ever accidentally pushed one out?

If so, under what circumstances?

Does anyone have experience of long term use?

Has anyone had any adverse reactions?

Has anyone had any treatment abroad?

Has anyone had any experience of Kegel8 pelvic muscle exercisers?

Does anyone out there have an alternative solution?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Firstly please try not to be worried or anxious. I always mention this (Alan the Moderator has asked that I signpost ladies to the information) but on the Genitourinary home page there's a section Useful Resources. Take a look at that because it will answer a lot of your questions. Other ladies will respond because I haven't used a pessary although I know of patients who have. Your alternative solution though is surgery.

• Posted

Hi Matron. Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated and I see I have brought up a topic that is of interest to quite a few ladies, whom I would also like to thank for sharing their own experiences and knowledge.

! have some more questions, however.

1) Is it possible for a bladder to prolapse completely out of the body?

2) If the above should happen, is there a problem with the normal function of the bladder?

3) Can I enquire, please, what your medical qualifications & experience are?

• Posted

I was assured by urogyny that bladder won't prolapse right out of your body. Hope she's right!

• Posted

Hi. I wore a ring pessary for around three years. The first few weeks was hit and miss for me in trying to get a good fit. My first one kept falling out when I had a bowel motion and I went quickly back to clinic. Three size changes later I was coping better. I YouTubed how to remove and clean it myself as was having periods still back then. After having a vaginal ulcer and not able to wear pessary decided on a anterior repair surgery. That was a year ago.
  • Posted

Do you just have a bladder prolapse and not a uterus prolapse? Well I have both but have been fitted for a peasary.and thought

That the pessaries were for Uterus prolapse and incintenimce not bladder prolapse??

I have not found one that fits right. Maybe because if my prolapse being a stage 3. At first the peasant would fall out when had a bowl

Did not really feel

Pessary but became uncomfortable. So it that happens you will probably Need to be refitted

• Posted

You can get fitted for a pessary for any prolapse. 
  • Posted

Before my op I had a oessary in for almost a yr. I couldn't feel it and never had any issues of it falling out. Hubby said he could feel it during sex but it didn't bother him.

Cons for me were that I produced way too much discharge which I was told can happen. Also it got in the way of me having bowel movements and I was having a lot of problems to start with so I ended up have the surgery.

My consultant told me it isn't a cure for your prolapse. The pessary just acts like scaffolding inside you.

Also pelvic floor exercises didn't improve my prolapsed enough.

Hope this helps. X

• Posted

Hi there, I did have a pessary fitted for bowel, bladder and uterus prolapse.    I thought it was good and never really felt it, and definitely did not want an operation!  I felt so normal as well so thought I had cracked it.    However, it did feel so uncomfortable one day and caused pain so I took it out and left it out.         One thing I did notice was that if I needed a wee it would leak so I had to be quick with going to the loo.        I am now almost 4 months post op and personally feel very pleased I had the op.    Never have a leak problem like the pessary gave me.              Don't be frightened of a pessary and don't be frightened of the op whichever one you go for in the end.  😊    

• Posted

Hi carol i was wondering what kind if symptooms you had from the uterus bladder and rectum prolapse?
  • Posted

Hi I recommend having the pessary ring. I had mine in for about 6 years. Im now 4 months post op for repairs posterior, anterior and perineum . The ring did a great job for a long time. Once inserted properly I couldn't even feel it. It was only because of problems especially with my bowel prolapsing (rectocele) and I became grade 3 that I wanted the operation to resume a normal life. Try not to be frightened you will be ok. Its a bit of a long journey but stay on this wonderful forum and read up as you will find you are only one of many whom experience this happening. ?

• Posted

I am now wearing my 7th pessary and so far it is fine. There are many different kinds and it is a case of trying a few before you find one that is comfortable. My first one fell out the day after it had been fitted and others have been painful. One became uncomfortable and caused a little bleeding. But like you I am trying to avoid an operation so will continue with the pessaries. I have had physio and now do pelvic floor exercises. Oh and all pessaries have been fitted by the doctor.

Hope this helps. The doctors at the hospital have been very supportive and have seen me at short notice when needed.

Hope all goes well

• Posted

It is worth giving the pessary a try, it may work for you if you don't want to go down the operation route.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.