DESPERATELY NEEDING ADVICE ON BLADDER PROLAPSE

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi. I am DESPERATE!  I need advice on pros & cons of treatments to manage a female bladder prolapse, preferably without surgery. I have been considering a Pessary Ring but would like to hear from other users about their experiences. 

Can you feel it after it has been fitted?

Has anyone ever accidentally pushed one out?

If so, under what circumstances?

Does anyone have experience of long term use?

Has anyone had any adverse reactions?

Has anyone had any treatment abroad?

Has anyone had any experience of Kegel8 pelvic muscle exercisers?

Does anyone out there have an alternative solution?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Pessary good if you are shown how to insert &remove it yourself for when you need it eg before exercising. I have managed mine for months with no side effects. Probably better than leaving it in for long periods.

• Posted

Hi golfergirl, thats interesting what you have said about removing it. I dont understand why you would want to. I guess different countries have diferent ways. Pretty much here in New Zealand we put them in and apart from removal for cleaning them they stay in. Best wishes Kath
    • Posted

I think it depends on the individual. At age 74 lining of vagina not what it was when I was 34! Constant pressure from pessary can cause erosion etc so I find self-management works fine for me. I found a great urogyny who instructed me.
    • Posted

How long do you leave the pessary in place between cleanings Kath?
    • Posted

When I had mine in I never took it out. Was told it went in and stayed in. Got changed 6 monthly. So had 2 over the yr.
    • Posted

For the first few years I probably took it out every 3 or so months to clean.Most of the time I was not even aware it was inserted

Around three years ago the prolapses became worse as I started a new job which involved heavy lifting. The pessary would then shift and become really sore. I recommend the use of it and would not have lasted as long as  I did without it

• Posted

Dear Frightened,

By my name you'll see I have a vested interest, but let me tell you what I know.

Pessary use will help to support, fitting can be tricky. It can take up to 3 goes to get the right size, there is nothing worse for the morale than one dropping out - but persevere! More and more Clinicians are being trained in pessary fitting and sizing, so give it your best shot. Some women can get infections with a full-time pessary, but not all. Some pessaries are removable which give a little more freedom if you are sexually active.

Watch your weight - lose any extra you are carrying. this is for 2 reasons. 1. the physical pressure is too much on the weak muscles and 2. The muscles become even weaker because the muscle fibres are replaced with less strong fat cells.  

Pelvic Floor Exercise - if you do not change what you do, there will be no change in your pelvic floor, and you could suffer other organs prolapsing. I know my machine because I know the clinical results, but there are others out there. Realistically don’t go for a manual device, your floor is too weak, an electronic one is powerful and will target the muscles. I believe ours is the strongest machine available and with our new Glide probe it is unsurpassable - but you have to use it.

Correct your posture - sit up, walk tall. Don’t sit on your tail bone. When you pelvic floor exercise, sit up straight. Check out films on You Tube by Michelle Kenway and Tasha Mulligan. Brilliant helpful films that will really help you manage your prolapse.

Buy a toilet stool like the Squatty Potty – it will help take the strain off your pelvic floor when you poo, and make sure you eliminate more fully Amazing health device, but it works so well that everyone soon stops being embarrassed!

Get your GP to refer you to a Physio - if you don't feel the benefit, ask to see another Physio. They can be priceless in helping you correct the weakness in your body and could be the magic ingredient you need to avoid surgery.

Supplement with Vitamin D3 - a common vitamin lacking in women with a weak pelvic floor...

If you can afford them, buy a pair of EVB Support Shorts - giving a whopping 71% extra support to the pelvic floor.

It is devastating I know, but by being proctive you can take chanrge and help your body get strong. Even if you did have surgery (it's no magic wand either) it is the start of a new journey of getting your body stronger and you have to change what you do to get results - I wish you luck in 2017

I hope this has been of help to you.

S

• Posted

wow thanks Stephanie I have just learnt so much from what you have written thank you so much regards Kath
    • Posted

Hi Stephanie. Thank you for your extensive & knowledeable reply. I am going to throw you a hot potato, however.

I understand the Kegel8 runs on a 9 volt battery.

A ;ittle while ago I was diagnosed with Tachiocardia, which is caused by a problem with the Electrical Conductivity of my heart.

Is there any chance of the Kegel8 affecting this?

• Posted

frightened just to add to Stephanie's excellent advice. If you can get a referral to a physiotherapist specially trained in treating ladies with urogynaecology problems then all the better. A lot of urogynaecologists are now having them in their team.

• Posted

I suppose when you are inserting any foreign body into the vagina you risk infection tracking into the urethra no matter how clean you are. There could also be the risk of not emptying the bladder completely and urine tracking back.
    • Posted

Thank you matron, I think I understand. Have had no utis since being shown by urogyny how to insert pessary before exercising & removing afterwards. Rest of time am managing with strong stretchy support underwear.

• Posted

You're doing well with your pessary because as you know not everyone can manage with them. I would hope ladies wouldn't get a UTI when using a pessary and it's often difficult to know whether it is definitely the pessary causing it. 

• Posted

Golfergirl

What kind of support underwear do you use and where did you get it?

Buster

• Posted

Hi Buster. I wear black elastane Skins which are quite firm & support prolapse really well. I found them st a sports shop in the country town where I live. A lot of people wear them for cycling but I just treat them as underwear. They cost about $90 Australian dollars but well worth it. Good luck😊

• Posted

What a great idea golfergirl. The only thing that would concern me is the fabric? I find if I wear nylon as underwear I end up with infections so I stick to cotton. I really like the idea and now the option to wear cycling pants to use for extra support.
    • Posted

I forgot to say that I wear the Skins over my cotton briefs. Can't wear nylon type stuff next to my skin either Cookie!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.