Desperately trying to help my friend

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I’m desperately trying to help my best friend get help with alcohol.

I have been sober for 7 years so I do have a bit of experience but she is much worse than I was.

She is drinking 6 litres of cider and 2 bottles of wine a day.

She has all the signs of liver damage, does not eat, lost use of bodily functions. She will not get help, refuses to leave the house. She’s been to a few councilling sessions(drunk)

Doesn’t sleep, constantly topping up alcohol levels.

Her husband and I really don’t know what to do. Can’t physically force her out of house. Don’t have money for private rehab. 

My fear is she is just gonna die, feel helpless.. Nothing is scarring her anymore. Must be something! Please help. I’m in the UK. Xxx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lisa, so sorry but you’ve done all you can. It really is down to her now. Help is there, but only if she asks for it
  • Posted

What a terrible situation to be in - for all concerned.  To not want to stick around and get help for her daughter's sake is very very sad.  That poor child must be going through hell at that age.  Your friend is on a hiding to hell - and the fact that alcohol can do this is criminal.  I don't think any suggestion is going to get through to her - probably the only thing that will, in my humble opinion, is when something happens to her and she is taken ill and hospitalised; the ramifications of what alcohol can suddenly present are endless.  Then stark reality might hit her in the face, especially when loved ones visit and she has had time to think long and hard.  You are a brilliant friend and she is really lucky to have you. 

I wish her and her family  well - and you too.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I’m sorry that your friend is having such a hard time.  Being a recovering addict myself I understand feel your pain.  

Personally, I think a family intervention is required.  I have had a couple of friends that that was the only thing that worked.  Husband need to issue altimatum of get help or he takes their   child and you will have no place to live.  I’m assuming she doesn’t work and is being supplied the alcohol by her husband.  I know some people will probably disagree with me but that is my two cents.  Someone needs to protect that poor child and stop enabling your friend. 

Good luck, and please let us know how things get on.  

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your advice.. A friend and I have decided to share the care of her daughter, with the support of the father.

He had so much to contend with at the moment. Helping him with his daughter is a massive help.

I have told the mother that this is what I warned her would happen. Her daughter would pull away from her, it’s a toxic environment for her.

Hope this shocks her enough

Tough love!

• Posted

In other words, being cruel to be kind.

Her daughter will resent her, especially the older she gets. She’s chosen alcohol over and above her family, which is hard for her family, especially her daughter to forgive.

Someone must be helping or enabling her to drink to this extent. How would she still be able to drink if she had no access to money and no-one bought her drink? I’m not suggesting to cut her money and drink suddenly, but it certainly worked for me.

No access to money and no-one buying alcohol for me, made me realise how bad the situation was and I had to change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.