Detoxing without benzos

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, hope no one is suffering and in pain. If you are, just remember that most of the people on this site want you and me to get well again. Some people just get sober straight away( lucky them) though the majority of us, it takes time. So please stay on the forum and don't ever feel you're a failure and give up. You can get well again..

3 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Paperfairy and all who are following this discussion,

I haven't posted anything for about three months but have been following your posts regularly.  I switched from Selincro to Naltrexone (half a tablet), in March.  I have managed to drink responsibly on both medications, but the Selincro made me feel very ill, and really disturbed my sleep.  Although I am still drinking, albeit responsibly (no incidences, no drunkenness for two years), I know I still have a medical problem.  I just wanted to share this with you because this forum is important.  It helps me keep things in perspective, and reminds me of the hardships we face as alcohol-dependent members of society.

• Posted

And finally. The Sinclair method ( me with naltrexone ) has totally changed my life, in that I don't drink more than a bottle mostly. Wow, it may have and has probably saved my life. Amazing !

But I suffer with depression and horrible insomnia. I wake up feeling rubbish and so (after an hour) I hit the bottle again mid afternoon ( only recently) as I'm so depressed. This is why I wonder If selenco may be a good step forward. I have done weeks, months sober and they were the best times over the last 4 years. I don't know, I just find myself running around in circles. Sometimes I think AA is the only way( as i was brainwashed by an ex, or is it yoga, meditation, exercise? Please can people give me some advice please. No more arguements as hoping we are all a big happy family once again. Lots of love to everyone xx

• Posted

Usually, Selincro side effects are worse than Naltrexone's (from what I hear). 

Is the depression a side effect of the Naltrexone?

• Posted

Paperfairy, I totlly relate!  We want to get off this dependancy but for the time-being, I've surrendered.  The Naltrexone seems to help (not really in an obvious way, but just the fact that I take a half pill at least an hour before a drink), that delays my indulgences.  I also am now able (with a lot of willpower) to stop after two or three drinks. I hope I can continue in this way.   
    • Posted

Sorry I've just messed up my post. God maybe I've now killed too many brain cells. When I said selenco I meant Campral. I'm sorry. I'm such an idiot. No hope for me really x
    • Posted

lol! I expect you'll fully recover, Paper!

Campral is another valid approach. As I understand, you take it after a week of abstinence and it takes a couple of weeks to kick in. If it works for you, the craving will be gone and your normal drinking triggers will be gone too. 

• Posted

AA is not the only way....BUT it is a way.

AA fills time.

AA gives the opportunity to talk out your problems during sharing.

AA finds you new characters and some friends and some people that could possibly use your help.

AA saved my life and gave me 8 years of sobriety.  I didn't want to go...but was at a place where there weren't any more options for me. 

I went the 90 and 90 because I made it a challenge for me...and I don't like to lose.

• Posted

Yes J and Nicole. You are making progress so well done. Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say !!!

I basically want to know, when I detox on my own, am I missing out on something that diazepam would give me, apart from making the journey easier? God, sorry, I'm so annoying and sorry. Im annoying myself now !!!

• Posted

No, I think you're posing a valid question that desierves a good answer, Paper.
    • Posted

I've never used diazepam and even when I was drinking 3 bottles of wine I could not drink anything the next day and not get any withdrawal symptoms.My key worker was actually amazed that I don't even get the shakes ect.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that had some experience of this

• Posted

'not get any withdrawal symptoms'

The answer to that, is they don't actually know. There is some thought that it is genetic.

• Posted

My mother was an intravenous drug user and got herself off morphine all by herself in the 70's.

Unfortunately she got hooked on heroine again when I was a teenager and died when I was 20 but maybe you are right about it being hereditary because I never remember her having withdrawal symptoms with alcohol either

• Posted

Oh Nicole, thanks for sharing about your mum. I'm so sorry and my heart goes out to you. I think you have meantioned this before, I was probably drunk, maybe I posted my feelings about this, I can't remember as I'm a pathetic drunk. But I admire your courage for survival. It's helped me, you know, to try and be a mum for my 3 children. They are grown up now but your post has given me a kick up the bum!! So thank you. Xx

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

I am one of the " no shakes" folk !  Even when in hospital... for another matter... I stopped drinking, cold turkey, but had no withdrawal symptoms.

I was being monitored because I told them how much I drank.

I think they thought I was exaggerating !

That was about 5 years ago... I am afraid of just stopping now... I have read that effects can be dangerous, especially as you age.

Alonangel 🎇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.