Detoxing without benzos

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, hope no one is suffering and in pain. If you are, just remember that most of the people on this site want you and me to get well again. Some people just get sober straight away( lucky them) though the majority of us, it takes time. So please stay on the forum and don't ever feel you're a failure and give up. You can get well again..

3 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I used Diazipam on a sliding scale for 5 days as instructed by the GP. After if helped a with the AWS, I did find that it helped relax me enough to drop off to sleep, tiny dose at bedtime.

I also take a first generation Antihistamine and to be honest that helps relax me as well and sleep better than a small dose of benzo.

Well done on sticking to the TMS routine. There certainly is some really useful advice and support on this site.

• Posted

Agree about the antihistamine.

dormidina are OTC sleeping tablets I buy here in Spain are that and work a treat.

Today I had a lorazepam at lunch time to help with the depression, and will have a dormidina to get to sleep soon.

Good luck to you all xxx

• Posted

I have Promethazine prescribed to me although you can buy it OTC. To take at night and if needed during day for anxiety. It does not help with depression or cravings, mind you I don't think benzos helped me there either.
    • Posted

Hi Pamabo...did someone tell you that Lorazepam was for depression?  Actually Lorazepam works on the same part of the brain as alcohol.  I have been taking it for 12 years...and it is a depressent...and an anti anxiety medication.

Hope you got to sleep...it does help with that!

• Posted

Youre right missy, lorezam was prescribed by gp to help sleep.

By depression I really meant that hungover anxiety blues after another stupid binge.

It helps with that a bit.

I have had depression in the past, but not now.

Heartfelt sympathies to those of you dealing with depression as well as the alcohol dependency.

• Posted

Yea.....Lorazepam does help with hangovers and anxiety caused from them...the heart racing, sweating, panic....for me they just don't last that long.....keep fighting
  • Posted

I do find phergan helps,sometimes, for insomnia. But you feel rubbish the next day. I then have to weigh up whether sleeping on these otc drugs, are a help or not. Is it better to be awake all night or is it better to be knocked out by them ? Unfortunately I do go for the easy option x
  • Posted

Can completely understand you although so feel so let down by myself tonight smileThe AA helped but felt brainwashed !!!! Will never go that way again ! Im tring Pauls route but not had resonse yet ! Just want to be happy like you paper fairy . I hope you find your way smile 
    • Posted

Ah, you've been to an AA meeting today?

If so, do tell.

• Posted

Oh rainbow. I'm not happy in anyway. But I have been in the past when sober for a while. I just want to be there again. This site isn't about explaining why I'm sad so, it's about helping you to find a way to be sober again and/or control your drinking. Stay in touch as we all want to help you any way we can. As do I xxxx
    • Posted

Glad to have you back RHGB. I've only been to 2 meetings this year, apart from the "came to believe" weekend 2 weeks ago. It was amazing but you have to believe in God. I do so it really wasn't a problem for me. Been dead twice..bla bla bla.. I do believe that I've been saved for a reason.x
    • Posted

I am truely glad you are back on the forum again as you give very good advice, including the pm you sent me yesterday when I was desperate. Thank you for that. Where's all my friends tonight ? Alon, Vicky and missy? Thanks for being there for me when I was down RHGB  and friends on here xx
    • Posted

Hi Paper fairy,

I am here.  I posted earlier... you must have missed it....

Good Luck with your plans.

Blessings,

Alonangel xx 🎇

• Posted

Well, PM me when you are ready and I'll discuss what you want to do and how best I think you will get there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.