Devil's Claw

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone taken Devil's Claw and found it to work for osteoarthritis and joint  pain and stiffness! I modified diet and trying desperately to lose weight and taking Vitamin and limbrel pain is still bad! Started Devil's Claw  yesterday and have notice less soarness but pain will it take a while for this to be effective? Any suggestions or comments would be helpful!

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Daphine.  I took devil's claw for a while but it firstly didnt seem to make much difference to pain levels and secondly it caused me quite nasty diarrhoea, so I stopped taking it. I have read comments from others however that they've found it helpful without any side effects, so I guess I was just unlucky.  I'm now taking a supplement containing Bromelain (which I believe is an extract from pineapples) which my physio told me about. Only been taking it for a short while so a bit early to judge its effectiveness - here's hoping.

• Posted

Thanks for the response I am taking Two Probiotic tablets to check the diarrhea twice a day if needed so far once daily seems to work!  Limbrel 500mg twice a day causes gas, bloating and diarrhea too. Not too effective for pain. Vitamin C was suppose to check the pain too, seen difference just trying everything, exercise if I can tolerate early morning before I get up! Ice is suppose to be better for inflammation, anyone tried ice off and on during day? 
  • Posted

Have you tried turmeric, it is an ant-inflamatory. I just use the powder and not the overpriced capsules that are advertised.
    • Posted

You can actually buy tea bags with it in them called  pukka turmeric gold

I just mix turmeric with some milk and put it on my cereal or mix it in milk and drink it.

• Posted

The pukka three ginger is delicious but i doubt you are getting much of the substances which will help with inflamamtion.  I drink pukka, but I also drink a cup of ginger tea every evening made with the fresh gingerroot - fortunately I like it!  I drink this for polymyalgia, not OA.
    • Posted

Do you liquidise the ginger root or grate it? I bought a liquidiser but first use burnt out the motor:-)

I was off all such things for over a year as I was on Warfarin but now have freedom for garlic, green tea, ginger, turmeric and cranberries.

The warfarin was also a cause of pain in my weight bearing joints.. 

• Posted

Hand grater.  Let the tea steep until it's cool enough to drink, which for me is about fifteen minutes, although I often forget and it's cold by the time I actually drink it.  Wouldn't leave it for less than fifteen minutes, though.  I am lucky to have a source of fresh ginger grown in Ontario.  It is so fresh, the juice runs down my fingers as I grate it.  Ginger man taking summer off from the market, however, so I'll have to get some of the much travelled stuff from China for a while.

• Posted

I drink it and every thing else hot!

Talking of hot have you tried Capsaicin cream on your joints it is made from chili peppers.We can get it on prescription i the UK.

• Posted

So far I haven't needed anything.  I've taken glucosamine for many years (1000 mg twice a day) and I think it must have helped me, although studies say it doesn't work.   

• Posted

My wife and I tried it and it gave us both heartburn.

Another that should not work is Flexiseq but some say it does.

Flexiseq is a topically applied gel, specially formulated to ease joint pain associated with osteoarthritis. Daily application in the morning and evening is enough to start to bring about real improvement in joint pain in as little as two days.

Flexiseq is a gel which is applied topically to the affected joint and works by delivering key lubricating ingredients directly into joints that have become damaged due to osteoarthritis. By improving lubrication within the joints, Flexiseq relieves pain and reduces joint stiffness

• Posted

The gklucosamine doesn't work to relieve pain.  It helps to preserve the cartilage, I believe.  I have also avoided any medicatons for arthritis.  Aspirin, for example, can interfere with cartilage regeneraton. 

• Posted

You are very wise to avoid most of the drugs prescribed.

At one time in the UK at least aspirin was the first line of defence.

• Posted

I heard capsaicin is excellent, unfortunately I cant find the proper stuff here in the uk, it was removed from the market.  All that's on offer online is fake stuff as it's not legal to sell the concentrated cream made from chillies.  My doctor wont prescribe it, so I'm stuffed.

• Posted

I have the same thoughts as  you anhaga, at various points I've been almost forced by my doctor to try yet another prescription drug. Each and every one caused more problems than they solved and to be honest not one of them really gave much relief.  Tramadol did indeed stop the pain but regularly caused vomiting and left me feeling like some kind of walking dead.  Yes, I'd like to be pain free but I'd also like to still be human enough to function relatively normally.  NSAIDs were a nightmare - terrible stomach issues and kidney pain.  Aspirin as a painkiller works well for me but as you say it can interfere with other things, so I stopped that also.  Paracetamol just doesnt work, at all, nil effect.  I've found a number of things which go a little way to helping with the inflammatory pain of my arthritis, they dont take it away completely but they do take it down to a level I can cope with and function almost normally even with it.  I'm still hopefully hunting for anything that will give me some (even slight) relief from the fibro pain however.........my hunt continues.

• Posted

It has not been withdrawn in the UK as it still shows a on this month’s BNF with several manufacturers as a prescription only product. My wife got it from her GP early last year. My osteopath actually had it on sale when I last saw him around February.

Zacin 0.025% cream (Teva UK Ltd) 

Capsaicin 250 microgram per 1 gram 

45 gram [Prescription only medicine] 

NHS indicative price = £17.71 Drug Tariff (Part VIIIA Category C) price = £17.71

• Posted

Many years ago my wife found a book in the library that told patients to normally avoid citrus fruit due to hihg acid content and quoted the high rates of arthritis in Florida...well it has a high retired population.

His theory was that when taking cod liver oil it was mostly digested by the stomach but needed to get to the liver to be effective.  To get round this he said to squeeze an orange and add cod liver oil and vigorously swish it up before drinking it. This way he said that it bypassed the digestive system and got to the liver where it would be more beneficial, 

• Posted

Loxie, why won't your doctor prescribe it?  

• Posted

That's what my doctor told me to take when I was first diagnosed, lo these thirty years ago, but somehow around that time I must have stumbled over an article in a newspaper or journal (this is long pre-internet) which warned about the bad effects of aspirin.  I wish I could remember how I found out about glucosamine then, too.  Even pre-google we were able to get information, it just took longer.  

• Posted

Glucosamine was probably being advertised even them.
    • Posted

Actually, I've never seen it advertised to my knowledge.  Don't watch the right tv I guess!

• Posted

Not on TV in the UK as far as I'm aware but it may in afternoon programmes aimed at Seniors along with adverts for insurance and funeral plans! There are full page or half page adverts in usually Saturday newspapers. There is also a gel version. 

• Posted

Only tv I watch in the daytime is to check in on the Weathernetwork.  And our newpaper doesn't aim any advertising at seniors, unless you count ritzy condos in Toronto.  And I have adblock on my 'puter.

• Posted

Well, I've never had any side effects.  I do use capsules, not tablets, which may help.  And I never expected any relief of symptoms.  I expected, and apparently have received, mitigation of whatever causes the pain in the first place.  I actually find it quite incredible that people suffer so much from OA when it seems I don't!  Yet x-rays show I have OA in hands, feet (well, you don't need x-rays to see that) neck - quite severe, lumbar spine, and a small amount in knees.  

• Posted

Ritzy Condos in Canada or in the West Indes or Florida for Snow Birds

• Posted

I was offered a hip replacement last month. I said I didn't need it as my hip pain/stiffness comes and goes. It has since gone but that was the longest spell of it i've had. Knee comes and goes as well but no one knows what causes my back pain

• Posted

No idea really Anhaga, I mentioned it to my doctor after reading something on here about it giving pain relief, they sort of 'poo-pooed' it with a shrug and just said no.  Some GP surgeries just seem to be only interested in prescribing specific pharmaceuticals, maybe their drug company rep is a hottie or pays their golf club subs (lol).......who knows.  I've now got a big list of meds I definitely will NOT take either because of the horrible adverse reactions I've had or just because I believe taking lots of toxic meds isnt in my best interest. I'm not an 'off the grid' type of person and generally I embrace modern technological advances, particularly in medicine, I just think that sometimes its too easy in a busy doctor's life to take the easy route and push the latest pill.  So many meds now have to be taken alongside yet another med to counterract side effects.  I have friends who have one medical issue but have to take multiple meds every day because of the knock on effect of each one.  I'm not evangelical about this but I really want to try to manage my health in a less invasive way.

• Posted

Hi Derek, I meant its been removed from OTC sales in the UK.  It used to be available to purchase online without prescription.  All that's available to an individual without prescription are capsaicin substitutes or creams which mimic it.  Hit a brick wall with the GP who isnt interested in considering it.

• Posted

When I next see the osteopath I'll look to see if they still have on the reception desk. I was surprised that he had it as it is marked POM. I'm pretty sure that there was a price tag on it.

• Posted

Loxie, it's so frustrating when you want to be proactive in caring for yourself and the very people who should be supporting you set up roadblocks.  Are you able to buy it otc, that means you'd have to pay for it yourself?  Has your doctor explained that in your case there are certain contraindications - not all "natural" meds are without potential harm?

• Posted

oops just saw that it's been removed from otc sales.  There must be a reason.

• Posted

really I dont have a clue - I mentioned it had reports of good results and got an uninterested shrug and shake of the head and I think the only comment was along the lines of 'no, we dont consider that suitable'.  Stonewalling seems to be a particular skill at my doctors' surgery.

• Posted

yep, I found it advertised online, on places like Amazon etc., but on each and every entry it just stated 'no longer available' so I googled to find out why and it was only available from the US or on prescription.  My only thoughts were that maybe because it contains an irritant it was felt safer to have its use carefully prescribed.

• Posted

They often prescribe things they seem keen on and then say that it is no longer cosidered effective. My wife had Versatis 5% Lidocaine medicated patches that helped her back pain. Suddenly he said that doctors thought they were not as effective as originally thought. He gave her Voltarol cream instead. Traxam is much better but it has not ben available for two years due to manufacturing problems. Actually the original maker was taken over but as last year they say it will be available in the third quarter of the year..
    • Posted

interesting comment, because as a kid orange was given with not cod liver oil but castor oil, for a good cleaning out! And cod liver oil was given to babies I wonder what the reason was now? Worth trying with cod liver oil! 
    • Posted

During the war in Britain we used to get free concentrated orange juice but only up to a certain age. My younger cousin did not like it so I used to get her supply. Another thing we used to get was Malt that I also liked
    • Posted

I remember at school we used to get little bottles of orange juice or squash and were made to eat a spoonful of malt daily - which I absolutely hated with a vengeance lol.  My mum used to buy something called Haliborange which were little concentrated orange tablets - they were delicious but I was only allowed one at a time - I always wanted more.  Cod liver oil made me vomit so luckily she stopped forcing me to take that. smile
    • Posted

I used to drink the concertrated orange juice straight from the bottle.

Haliborange is still around and also in liquid form. Research a few years ago started them to advertise it as good for childrens brains and older students were taking it to help their exam results.

• Posted

I loved the daily malt.  Didn't like the cod liver oil though.  However, it is supposed to be very benificial for OA.

• Posted

interesting to hear Haliborange still exists - it was over 50 years ago I remember my mum buying it.
    • Posted

almost everyone of my age group remembers the malt extract with affection - I still hate anything with a strong 'umami' flavour.  My partner loves vegimite and marmite, both of which are spawn of the devil to me hahaha.

• Posted

Just for info - the active ingredient in turmeric is something called curcumin but there’s only about a 5% concentration in the spice turmeric.   It’s possible to buy good quality high concentration curcumin from health food shops etc., but its terribly expensive.  Turmeric is available widely in Asian and indian food stores – recommend buying the Rajah brand which is cleaner and not as risk from pollutants which unfortunately some unknown makes might have.
    • Posted

cod liver oil went  somewhat out of fashion after a lot of scares regarding the high levels of mercury and heavy metals in the atlantic and Baltic cod population, the levels being more concentrated in cod liver than the fish itself.  Cant remember when it was but there was a lot of very bad publicity about some supplies and everybody got a bit twitchy at the time
    • Posted

They say if you take Marmite for a week or so before going to an insect problem country it deters them. I took it once before going on holiday but decided I preferred to be bitten.
    • Posted

I'm with your partner there, although I've never heard of 'vegimite'.  Doesn't sound too interesting!

Being in Germany I have to buy British food in special online shops (very expensive)!  Last time I ordered I forgot marmite - tragic, none left - so I had to re-order.  This cost me €36 because I asked my husband if he could think of anything else we needed!!!!😀

• Posted

Vegemite is australian and very similar to marmite - it's lighter in colour but is I believe a similar yeast extract.  I'm gagging even at the thought of it hahaha.

• Posted

I think me too Derek - ugh ugh ugh.  I'm told Vit A taken for a while before going away also helps to ward off bites - didnt work for me - I got eaten alive as usual.  Now I soak all my clothes in neat Deet and the little rotters still get me.  I'm going off track here......sorry.

• Posted

I stopped being a target for mosquitoes when I was nursing my first child and consuming brewers yeast supplement.  I credit B vitamins, plus the orange juice I mixed the brewers yeast in.
    • Posted

I love marmite, and as a vegetarian have found a spoonful of it in big pot of vegetable soup adds that sort of umami flavour which normally meat imparts, and makes the food more delicious.
    • Posted

As you are a Canadian I give your country a gold star for biting insects. We got off the  train at Agawa Canyon and a horde of what we call midges shouted tourists and proceeded to devour us.
    • Posted

Not in my backyard.  lol  But there is a song about how the little black fly'll eat you alive in North Ontar-i-o!

• Posted

I lived for a while in Rochester, quite close to the lake.  Mozzie paradise - if I didnt wear something akin to a beekeepers outfit, I looked like a pepperoni pizza by the end of the day sad
    • Posted

ok, Vit B on my packing list for my next vacation.
    • Posted

we're vegetarian too, I guess that's why my other half likes it so much - I dont actually like meat or meat flavours so I dont miss the taste but he'd be lost without it.  His latest revolting habit is to spread it on bread then add marmalade - I cant even watch.

• Posted

We feared what would await us when we went North to Moosonee but not a nasty insect in sight. 
    • Posted

That does seem a bit much.  I like them both, but can't imagine them together!

• Posted

There are some aromatherapy type concoctions now which can help to keep most insects away.  But I really think there are varieties and varieties of bugs.  I can be well-protected here, but the same potion won't protect me a few hundred miles away. 

• Posted

It is strange when we are on holiday very often only one of us gets bitten.
    • Posted

New blood when you go there!

One of the worst places for me was St Petersburg. Our hotel was by the Nevski river. There was a strange smell in the room when we arrived so opened the windows. We went out and the ceiling and walls were covered in mosquitos when we got back. The strange smell was from the spray the hotel used to deter them.

I got a newspaper and started to swat them. By the time I was finished I was covered in bites and the walls and ceiling were a mess. A couple had been missed and they came at as I was getting ready for bed. One bit my big toe and the other my bum.

• Posted

so laughing here, sorry but if I had to choose - I'd nix on the toe bite ;-)

• Posted

I did not have a choice:-)

A friend in Texas calls what we call midges 'Noseeums'

Natually it is only the females that bite.

• Posted

Hee hee!😀  That's my breakfast on most days.👍

• Posted

Where I lived in Tennessee they call em noseeums too - cant see em but sure can feel em. I still have the scars some 20 years on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.