Diagnoed with PR 3 days ago...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I noticed this spot on my right thigh a couple weeks ago. Wasn't sure if it was ringworm or an ingrown pimple. I was going to go to the derm but I decided not to. Then I noticed this spot on my collarbone, I thought maybe I scratched myself. Then I noticed multiple spots all over me and decided I needed to go to a doctor ASAP. I was diagnosed with PR and was prescribed some steroid cream. I used the cream 2-3 times but I stopped using it.

ANYWAY... I have some questions because I've read a lot of different things.

Right now my spots don't itch at all THANK GOD. But they're all over me, including my face which I heard is rare. My spots aren't peeling or flaking. They're just red circles of different sizes all over me. What is better that I do.. dry them out or moisturize them? I'm not going to tan because I don't like to tan. I've been bathing in epsum salt and oatmeal. Washing with dandruff shampoo and tea tree oil body wash. I lightly put myrrh oil on the spots (which takes forever cuz there's so many of them and I need to be precise- I'm not going to put the oil all over my body or else I'd run out so quickly). I just bought a sulfate cream and a zinc oxide cream. I also have coconut oil and was thinking of using that but if I want to dry the spots out wouldn't this be counterproductive? Idk what to do because my spots aren't going away and I'm not sure what's the best approach. My skin isn't dry. I'm not flaking. There's no signs of improvement and every day this week I've been developing more spots. Help ?!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I heard sulfate and zinc oxide is good for drying out skin. Which is why I bought them.. hoping to dry out the spots so they can shrivel up and go away ?? I don't know..

• Posted

Oh, and the prescribed cream I used was Triamcinolone Acetonide
  • Posted

Update even though it's only been a few hours... I'm starting to itch! Wonderful! I also now have 20+ spots on my face.

To add: I've been dieting very healthy this week and have been taking sooo many things to boost my immune system. I'm not going to use the sulfur and zinc oxide creams. I'm washing with a sulfur bar of soap which has a fragrance in it (I hope the fragrance doesn't irritate the rash) and head and shoulders, and I'm put coconut oil with myrrh essential oil all over my body. Is there a difference between oil and essential oil?

Something interesting... I think I might have two herald spots. I first had a big spot on my thigh, a week later a big spot on my neck and a week later now I have 100+ spots. But the spots on my thigh and neck are both the largest and both the same size. Is it possible to have two herald spots??? And maybe because the second herald spot is on my neck that's why it spread all over my face? This is awful.

• Posted

Hi Michael. I feel your pain. I truly do. I’ve had PR for over a month and I can share with you some of my experience. The spots start out red and not dry at all. I had several herald patches, which apparently is not that unusual. My spots went from bright red individual spots to more diffuse and inflamed. Eventually they will start to dry out on their own, and that is when it begins to really itch. The itch is more like a burning from beneath your skin, and it can be extremely uncomfortable. For this reason I was advised to stay moisturized. I have been doing nightly oatmeal/epsom salt baths right before bed, after which I slather a mixture of coconut oil and myrrh. I sleep in all cotton. On nights when the burning is really bad I take a children’s dosage of Benadryl. All of this has worked for me. I had it really bad on my wrists, so I was wearing extra long shirts to work for about a month. But due to my vigilant nightly treatments, my wrists have completely cleared up. Sometimes I have to get up in the middle of he night and apply Aveeno oatmeal lotion to soothe my skin, but hat has only happened a few times when the burning was unbearable. Hang in there. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and so will you. 
    • Posted

It cost what????? I found it on eBay and it was 19 dollars for the small size, which was an ounce, and 60 for the one pond size, which was the biggest/most expensive they had. 4ml is like a dot, isn't it? Hope it works for you!!!!

• Posted

I mean 4oz** lol but still.. yeah it cost me that much. I bought the extra strength one with expedited shipping
    • Posted

Well tat makes sense then, but let me tell you, I would of paid everything in my bank account for it! If I had known it was going to work like it did,
  • Posted

I am so sorry you have PR! But you can only be sure it is PR once they do a biopsy. My daughter had the same as you, red round patches and not itchy and it started to spread towards her face too. We did so many things, including oral steroids and nothing worked. She has suffered with this since last November. The spots have nearly gone now. We started with a very potent steroid cream called Dermovate for 7 days, once a day, and then another week using  another steroid cream not so potent and we are going to alternate days with this cream next week and then 4 weeks using it twice a week! All her rashes have gone and only a couple of them have a slight shadow. I will let you know if we manage to get rid of them and they do not return. After my daughter showers we use Cetaphil lotion, and then the steroid cream, nothing else! I am giving her lots of Vitamin C and a good diet! I suggest you go back to your dermatologist. Perhaps the steroid cream you were given was not potent enough. This is not easy as it affects your self stern! My daughter is only 16 and is very self counciois and I feel for anyone going through this as this impacts you not only physically but also emotionally! Good luck and get back to us to let us know how you are!

• Posted

Thank you for responding!

It's definitely PR. I'm not using the steroid cream because I don't think it will do anything besides alleviate the itch?

Did you find that drying the spots out or moisturizing them worked better?

• Posted

Definitely moisturise the spots! I just noticed two new rashes on my daughter today and this seems to be never ending! Her rashes do not itch at all.  The steroid cream made all rashes disappear but today found these two new ones! I will keep you informed on how it goes but, if you can, get this Preeze they are talking about. It seems to be natural and apparently works. I am in the UK and can’t get hold of it. Good luck and do not give up!
    • Posted

I believe Michael is correct. Steroids do not cure anything, they are simply an antinflamatory. They do not "cure" anything.They just mask the effects until your body gets rid of whatever it is, some people are on long term steroids, and they can do damage to the body. Some people get nasty side effects from them.

I am so glad that they helped her rash, at least temporarily. Many doctors prescribe steroids as a stop gap if they have no clue. I agree, if there is no biopsy it is very difficult to figure out what you have. They did a scrape biopsy on mine. Most doctors just prescribe a steroid and say "come back in a couple of months if it has not resolved".... Most rashes go away by themselves in that amount of time, so they are usually pretty safe with that line.

• Posted

Yes, it is actually absurd! My daughter wants to be a doctor and we often watch documentaries where doctors offer their skills to help the most unfortunate people and there should be an element of that into every doctors life! This is the reason we are skeptical about diagnosis given by them as their drive is often blurred by financial  gain! All PR sufferers, hang in there! We must be positive and stick together! Thank you for your kind words!
    • Posted

I ordered preeze but I don't know if you can apply it on a seven years old. My daughter is really picky and now she is used to the aveeno oatmeal moisturizering cream. Where is preeze made? Have a good day!

I'm just a little nervous applying something new. I did not get the cream yet. I live in New York City and bought it on amazon. 

• Posted

Thank you for your advices. I really appreciate. I will ask the dermatologist and see what he will say. She seems to be improving although suddenly she has an unbearable itch and then I apply as soon as possible the prescribed lotion. I apply every night the aveeno moisturizering cream. I might stick to Aveeno for now and only when it's really itching apply the prescribed lotion. Through this forum, I am learning a lot about PR and I thought it very helpful. Have a good day! 

• Posted

Good evening Michael, 

I hope that you will get Preeze cream very soon and that it will help you. 

When I met the dermatologist for my daughter who is 7 years old for the first time, I mentioned to him Preeze but he had never heard about the cream. Although I ordered it through Amazon, I am not feeling confident to use it and to be honest I'm a little bit nervous using it on her and also since I have been given her Aveeno oatmeal bath every night, I have seen major improvement in a sense that her skin seems more calm that the spots are more light pink and now her chest is healing. We still need some healing on her legs but overall I am feeling hopeful. The week of January 22nd and the week after that, was very unsettling for me when it spread out but now a month later hopefully we are on the path of recovery. I am using the steroid cream prescribed by the dermatologist only on the spot where her itch is unbearable but otherwise at night time, the oatmeal bath then the aveeno oatmeal moisterizer. 

Good luck with preeze! Let us know how it worked on you.  I hope that you will heal soon so PR will be a memory of the past.  I did not get it myself but I witness it on my daughter so I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed and wanting to find something to soothe and help. Have a good evening! 

I just wished the dermatologist would have advised me to give her oatmeal bath after the first visit. It is through this forum that I have heard about oatmeal bath and I found it very helpful. 

• Posted

Thank you for your message. Presently, she is healing pretty well so, I am keeping Preeze in my medicine cabinet. Have a good day!

Catherine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.