Diagnoed with PR 3 days ago...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I noticed this spot on my right thigh a couple weeks ago. Wasn't sure if it was ringworm or an ingrown pimple. I was going to go to the derm but I decided not to. Then I noticed this spot on my collarbone, I thought maybe I scratched myself. Then I noticed multiple spots all over me and decided I needed to go to a doctor ASAP. I was diagnosed with PR and was prescribed some steroid cream. I used the cream 2-3 times but I stopped using it.

ANYWAY... I have some questions because I've read a lot of different things.

Right now my spots don't itch at all THANK GOD. But they're all over me, including my face which I heard is rare. My spots aren't peeling or flaking. They're just red circles of different sizes all over me. What is better that I do.. dry them out or moisturize them? I'm not going to tan because I don't like to tan. I've been bathing in epsum salt and oatmeal. Washing with dandruff shampoo and tea tree oil body wash. I lightly put myrrh oil on the spots (which takes forever cuz there's so many of them and I need to be precise- I'm not going to put the oil all over my body or else I'd run out so quickly). I just bought a sulfate cream and a zinc oxide cream. I also have coconut oil and was thinking of using that but if I want to dry the spots out wouldn't this be counterproductive? Idk what to do because my spots aren't going away and I'm not sure what's the best approach. My skin isn't dry. I'm not flaking. There's no signs of improvement and every day this week I've been developing more spots. Help ?!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had PR a few times now. The second time I was given Erythromycin Tablets. The rash cleared in a week.

The third time was the worst all over my torso, a lot drier and red raw skin all over on my neck and coming onto my face. I pushed to be given Erythromycin Tablets again and within a week the rash had settled down. Still dry skin but definitely clearing up and not red raw.

Do have your doctor give you this medication. It is some articles too so you can show that as evidence.

I've also read that as soon as you see the herald patch to take Aciclovir. This only works if taken in the first few days so if I see a herald patch again i'm going to make an urgent appointment. 

I hope this helps

• Posted

Erythromycin is an antibiotic. If it worked for PR noone would have it more than a few days, and it would be an accepted treatment. Glad it worked for you, though! My doctor treated me for ringworm with antifungal cream, then oral antifungals, backed up with an antibiotic, and they did nothing.
  • Posted

Hi Michael, 

I am sorry to hear about your skin condition. My daughter had an elongated slightly raised that looks like a pimples above the bikini line for a couples days then the week of January 22nd, red spots spread out on her torso then her back then her arms. I went twice to the pediatrician then now twice to the dermatologist. I wished I would have given sooner my daughter the aveeno oatmeal bath as it is helping in the healing. The dermatologist prescribed her a lotion called triamcinolone acetonide. Every night now,  I give her an oatmeal bath then the prescribed lotion and aveeno eczema therapy moisturizing cream and it is helping in the healing process in a sense that her skin looks less red and more pale pink the dots. I don't know if I'm helping with all these info. I totally understand how you feel. Hang in there. 

Have a good day! 

• Posted

catherine, please be on the look out for steroid side effects with that cream. Hope she continues to get better!!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. After meeting with the dermatologist for the first time, he told us to use it for 5 consecutive days; twice a day and if the red spots were still there then PR would be confirmed and since the red spots did not disappear then she had PR. When I decided to go back to the dermatologist for a check up, I asked him if I needed to use the cream and he said that it would be good to bring some relief for the itching. Currently,  her skin  is not itching so maybe I will just stick with aveeno bath and aveeno moisturizing cream. It is so hard to know what to do. Have a good day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.