Diagnosed as type 2 in 2011 and put on Metformin, now told by new GP I'm not diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

In 2011 I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and immediately put on Metformin. Got sent on a Desmond day and took my wife along with me to that. Gradually lost 2 and a half stone in weight and generally took care of my eating. More or less stopped drinking alcohol as well. Had my annual diabetes checks and was told I was controlling it very well.

Moved house last December and registered with a new GP. As part of the registration process I gave my medical history and was given a date for a blood test to see what my HbA1c was like in readiness to see the diabetic nurse for a review. Had the blood test and made appointment to see diabetic nurse. When I saw the diabetic nurse she told me I was not a diabetic as my blood results were that of a normal non-diabetic person. She was unable to comment further because my medical notes from my last GP had not been forwarded to the new practice. I was told to get another blood test in 4 months time, but in the mean time to half my Metformin dose. This I did and went for the results last Friday. GP told me I’m not diabetic and to stop taking Metformin altogether.

Now I’m confused. Was I misdiagnosed in 2011? My original GP who made the diagnosis told me it’s a condition for life and I must learn to live with it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How was the diagnosis done? I was told that once diagnosed there is no reversal of T2 only control, as the diagnosis indicates that the beta cells in the pancreas are shot.As for the numbers given by everyone here were they diagnosed by an HbA1c blood test [non fasting] or an OGTT [fasting] test, because unless you know which test people are referring to the numbers don't mean much.

Is it really true that the doctors surgeries are paid mega bucks for a diagnosis of T2? I had one of the NHS health checks and was found to have hypertension and I always felt they were going to probe and probe until they found something so they could collect their fee.  i don't know if that is correct but it was certainly my feeling.

I'm not sure it is true that you are put on the diabetes register if you are prediabetic, I wasn't and I get my med notes onliine so I would know.

As for losing weight, my theory is that the NHS guidelines for diabetes and also for weight loss are quite wrong. All the carbohydrate they say to consume turns to sugar in the blood and exacerbates any diabetic problems.If you follow a low fat high carb diet as they recommend you will not keep any weight off even if you lose it, it just doesn't work in the long term.  Whereas if you follow a High fat, low carb diet the weight will fall off, you won't feel hungry and your blood sugars will be in the healthy range. 

The webiste mentioned above is really good and there is all kind of help available there. 

• Posted

Souds great but not sure that would do your heart any good!
    • Posted

Depends whether you believe the 'all fat is bad for you' hypothesis. I frankly don't. I was a weight watcher for years and years until at my last return there, almost 2 yrs ago, the scales were finally lifted from my eyes. [As long as the snacks you ate were weight watchers snacks then that was OK].It was just a huge con.

That set me off reading all sorts on the net including Michael Mosely's Fast Diet which has some really interesting science. I realised that the sugar in all the low fat gunk that weight watchers and the NHS food plate promote was causing more inflammation than any fat could, so I  gave up eating cereal at breakfast instead having toast and an egg with butter and also all those low fat, high sugar yogurts too. I no longer eat or crave cakes and biscuits, I just eat 3 sensible meals a day and take a brisk walk every day. I can tell you I've never felt fitter or better or weighed what I weigh now since I was about 16.

For most people without cardiovascular problems I feel the cholesterol/statin thing is really just a load of c**p.confused

Nothing would persuade me to go back to a high carb way of life.

• Posted

Hi Lone Wolf,

My GP has indicated to me that it's possible to reverse diabetes with diet etc.Mine was probably triggered by steroid medicaction for another condition and she thinks that once my steroid medication is sufficiently reduced I may find that I'm no longer diabetic.

You appear to have done all the right things and this may have resulted in a reversal of your condition.

Have you been taking regular readings of your gloucose levels throughout ?

As for some of the other replies you've received, I'm not impressed.

I use this forum to help me understand my condition better and to be of some help to others if possible.

I temporarily lost my eyesight due to my Diabetes and this is now a constant worry for me,so I hope my GP is right and that I can reverse it sometime in the future.

However I hope you get som clarification soon.

• Posted

Go to the diabetes website I mentioned as alot of helpful stuff there and can sign up for newsletter from them as well, would advise do
    • Posted

Thanks Tazchurch.

I used the Diabetes UK website quite a lot when I was first diagnosed and found it very useful.

• Posted

I do also got their app for the iPhone and is available for android too. Is DCUK on iTunes. Means forum always to hand

• Posted

forgot to mention free app so just data charges when use it
    • Posted

Are now also suggesting that borderline newly diagnosed Type 2's are prescribed a course of exercise before medication, and are setting up a partnership between the NHS and private gyms to facilitate this
    • Posted

The GP that gave the diagnosis offered me a free blood sugar meter, but would not give me any refill test strips saying that they only gave them to type 1's on prescription. By then I'd already purchased a meter and additional strips. During my first year of living with type 2 I monitored my blood levels very closely. I experimented with my favourite foods to see how they impacted my sugar level. I concluded that I could still eat most of the things I had always enjoyed before. Then as the results stayed fairly flat I stopped taking readings reserving it for when I didn't feel well. I wanted to rule out sugar when I felt unwell and the meter allowed me to do that.

I too had read the studies that showed how a radical change in diet coupled with weight loss could reverse type 2 and that was what I was looking for. I discussed these studies with my GP who said the sample size was far too small and I should not put any hopes on this method being a long term solution.

I was told after my first retinal screening that I had suffered a small retinal aneurism probably due to high blood sugar levels. The last 3 screenings however have been normal and I was told I have nothing to worry about regarding my eyes.

• Posted

That is why the studies are ongoing and this time involving a larger group. Initial results are encouraging.
  • Posted

I had wondered how your diabetes was diagnosed. Was it by the HbA1c or by a fasting glucose test or the oral glucose tolerance test. And if you were on metformin wouldn't that lower your A1c down to  below 6.4?

I was under the impresssion that once diabetes was confirmed by whichever blood test used one could only control it, not reverse/cure it. The reason being that the numbers indicated that the beta cells in the pancreas had died and were not recoverable.

Turvell have you tried the high fat low carb diet? [HFLC]  The NHS in their wisdom still  promote the high carb [and low fat] way of eating which is crazy if you have diabetes or, like me, pre diabetes I learnt in biology as a schoolgirl that starch turns to sugar in the blood !! When diagnosed I determined to lose weight and read all I could on the subject and a combination of Michael Mosely's Fast Diet and the LCHF diet that I found on the website above caused my weight to drop quite dramatically.

Lovelane09  - is it really true that there is a prediabetic register?I have to say that I'm not on one but perhaps because I'm only just in the catchment myself. I do know that as I get my medical notes online and only my hypertension is listed, along with asthma.

And do doctors surgeries really get paid mega bucks for a diagnosis of T2? That's dreadful. I do know that when I was diagnosed with hypertension at an NHS health check I had the feeling that was the case then. They were going to probe and probe until they found something wrong having earlier identified I had borderline high cholesterol. Having found the hypertension  they loked no further, they'd gained their fee I felt, and they never noticed my higher than normal A1c result. In fact I saw it myself when I asked for my medical notes online and queried it with the dr..

• Posted

Hi Jane,

You seem very concerned that doctors are making money from you.Try living in a country with no NHS and then see how you get on.

If my GP and optometrist had not acted as swiftly as they did I would probably be permanently blind now or even dead as happened to my younger sister 3 years ago.Doctors don't deliberately get it wrong,they do their best with the information they're given and I thank God for them. 

• Posted

The idea hat T2 cannot be reversed has been the percieved wisdom for years but the newest, and still ongoing research, is proving this is  not always be the case
    • Posted

My diagnosis came about after I was having tests for repeated urinary tract infections. Blood test results indicated high sugar levels. This was followed up with 2 separate fasting blood tests then I was given the diagnosis.  The GP said government guidelines say all he needs is 2 consecutive high blood tests for a diagnosis. I have to say that at the time I did not ask what the numbers were so I cannot relate them here.

My reason for posting on this forum was that I no longer trust what I have been told by my GP’s. I don’t feel cured of type 2 and I’m concerned that testing me every 6 months going forward is not totally putting my mind at rest.

What I intend to do is begin again checking my blood daily with my meter to see if not using Metformin anymore is working.

• Posted

Hi Lone Wolf,

If you are able to test yourself both after fasting and 2 hours after eating and keep a record of these readings. I think that would be a good idea if only to put your mind at rest and take control of the situation.There's nothing worse than the feeling that you're not being listened to  

• Posted

It's true I did feel very cross that I was a cash cow effectively. But you are right about living in a country without the NHS. My elder daughter lives in France and even there it's no way as good as it is here. We do lov e to critiscise the NHS but actually we are incredibly lucky to have it, how long for is another matter.
    • Posted

I do hope you got the UTI sorted out satisfactorily. Almost 2 years ago my husband was rushed into hospital where he spent 4 days in IC with sepsis. All as a result of having a UTI which he had put down to prostate problems. It recurred twice more too but luckily we were wise to it by then.Sorry that your UTI resulted in a diagnosis you could have done without - still it's perhaps better to be in the know about these things, I presume you didn't have any diabetic symptoms hence the 2 separate blood tests. For fear of being censored again [!!] have you taken a look at the diabetes uk website? Lots of useful info there.
    • Posted

Are you referring to the Newcastle diet? I've heard of that but it sounded rather dire. Still, if it works ....

• Posted

Research includes that but also general everyday small changes. Th trial ongoing at present will compare the effectiveness of several diets and dietary changes to see which seems to work best.
    • Posted

But isn't that still just CONTROL, albeit good control? Of course I don't know exactly to what you are referring  but dietary changes of any sort are not going to be a cure - are they?
    • Posted

From the mid 90’s until probably 2011 I was getting one or two UTIs a year. Because of the frequency of these infections my GP wanted to find the root cause so sent me off to a consultant. Long story short I had lots of tests on my bladder, kidneys, testes the lot. They could not find any underlying cause of the infections. They did find that I have hypertension and towards the end type 2 diabetes

To this day I have no idea why I suffered with so many UTIs and for that matter why I don’t get them any longer. My GP explained them away as a symptom of the type 2. He has also explain other problems I’ve had as being caused by diabetes. It all made sense at the time. The other nagging question I have is if I’m technically not diabetic now why do I still have issues that were explained as being caused by diabetes?

I have looked at the diabetes UK website in the past and yes lots of excellent info. I must revisit for an update. 

• Posted

The Newcastle diet mentioed earlier, I personally would not use it unless had too as prefer things less extreme if at all possible
    • Posted

If are borderline would explain why still have symptoms as easy to take onboard food and drink shouldn't have or for a small infection,cold etc to tip the balance in favour of the diabetes. Have your eating and drinking habits become more like those did when had diagnosis?. Also do you exersise alot? Having said all this it could well be pure coincidence.
    • Posted

It rather sounds as though the diabetes diagnosis was a convenient answer for your GP, he didn't need to look any further into your problems.  I believe hypertension and diabetes T2 often do go together though. It seems I am apparently heading towards T2 and I do also have hypertension so I am trying to fight it off; time will tell, Im due another A1c in early Jan. Really it's this register thing on one's medical notes that I don't like. Diabetes, hypertension all would appear to count against you and there's no getting away from them sad
    • Posted

My eating and drinking habits are different today than just a few years ago when I was having the infections. No I don’t exercise a lot. My job is sedentary though I’m very active with hobbies etc evenings and weekends. I think when I was having the infections a lot I was not drinking nearly enough water. I’m much more aware of dehydration these days.
    • Posted

Yes,drinking plenty of water is paramount to keeping infections at bay. It also does wonders for headaches too I find confused Maybe that's just me!
    • Posted

Dehydration is a relatively common cause of headaches and not just you but me as well smile
    • Posted

My dr told me that he can delete things but that someone is watching his every stoke of the computer!! He did manage to delete smoking from my notes which had been put there by a nurse when diagnosing asthma. Filling is boxes as they do back in  the 1990's it would have been "Have you ever smoked?" and truthfully I would ha ve told her "Yes as a teenager but gave it up when pregnantg with my first child" At the time the 'child' was fast approaching 50 yrs!! So she entered that I was a smoker and it caused me no end of problems with insurance things until I found out the cause and had it deleted. You have to be so so careful what you admit to I think.
    • Posted

Had a major falling out with a GP who then, out of spite I think and my latest GP felt so too, put something on my notes that was untrue but made her look good. My latest Dr left original note but put that she disagreed with it and about the rift that occured so always worth asking as even if can't delete can amend or notate.
    • Posted

I only found out where my 'smoking' label came from after I asked for my medical notes online. A few years ago I'd had a major fallout with one of the partners, who I'd never met until that point, who had filled in an insurance form saying that I was a smoker. At that point it was a case of 'If it says so in the notes then it must be right'!! The arrogance of some doctors defies belief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.