Diagnosed Type 1 - has anyone got relief from dizziness after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I have been recently diagnosed with type 1 Chiari and told I need surgery. I have suffered with symptoms for the past 5 years. My major symptom is lightheadedness/dizziness. I also have chronic neck pain, nerve pain over my head. I don't go for walks anymore because of the pressure at the back of my head and dizziness that makes me feel drunk and unstable. I now have walking difficulty where I feel like my signal isn't getting to my legs fast enough. Has anyone got relief from dizziness after surgery? Please help as I am so anxious and scared. I don't see many positives from surgery?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had surgery November 2015, I'm having numbness and tingling, is this normal with anyone else??? My left side of my head feels really weird, tightness. 
    • Posted

Yes, I had this! I also had burning type pain around the site of my wound. Like an electric shock-  I was told it was my nerves knitting back together after the op, this wasn't initially a problem, but was about 3-4 months post op, apparently because I couldn't feel it as they were not knitting back together yet and I was on so much pain relief! It soon passed after a month.

If you are at all worried, call your Chiari nurse for advice. Are you due another check up soon?

Still early days for you, so try not to worry yourself, remember, it is up to 2 years recovery, even though the outside looks and feels better, the inside is still healing.

Be gentle with yourself.

😊

• Posted

We are in the exact same boat and it's sinking it feels like to me the pain and burning in my head and the pains in my neck it's bad I sneezed today and flew down I wish I could turn back time ..... sorry that we weren't some of the lucky ones...
    • Posted

Are you post op too Melanie?

i was terrified of sneezing for 5 months after the op as it hurt SO much!

this has now passed, I hope this reassures you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.