Diagnosed with bilateral osteoartritis of the hip and prety scared

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hy everyone ! I ve just been diagnosed with bilateral hip osteoartrithis and need some opinions from people who are fighting this disiease.i am preety scared cuz i am only 32 yo and i can t stop thinking about what will hapen to me. How long can i manage this disiease , for how long people are suffering from it ... and can live a decent life. I am verry depresed and need a lotle info about how i can manage this situation.

Btw my artrithis in the early stage but still pretty scared sad hope to have some opinions from you guys

Good health and merry christmas

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What you have is osteoarthritis which is essentially a wearing down of the flexible tissue that holds the joints together. You are pretty young to be getting this and your hip is likely to become pretty painful. Since it's only in the early stages hopefully it will stay there for a long time. I know that most surgeons do not like to replace joints until you're quite a bit older than 32. The good thing is that osteoarthritis is nothing like rheumatoid arthritis or some of the other inflammatory arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is the kind that make your fingers bend oddly at the joint. I'm sure you've seen that. And it affects the entire body. Whereas osteoarthritis does not affect the entire body. That's not to say you can't have it in several joints. I have it in both thumbs, my left knee, my lower back and neck. Your weight can affect your joints as well. For example I am very heavy so that has compounded the issue on my left knee and my back. Weight can really wear down a joint if it's one of the weight bearing joints.

• Posted

Many with OA of the hip have developed symptoms eventually thatrequire hip replacement .

This solution is a outcome for many thousands . It can give a better quality of life and maintain mobility. I have had two hip joint replacements and one revision. I can do everything I enjoy in life and maintain a better quality of life. That's what it's all about. 

Ask about a physical therapist who can direct you in many areas to help your OA and maintain good health. Diet, hip care and meds can all have a positive roll in managing OA. 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, 🎄

• Posted

what you are suffering is very common, just not at your age. The good news is that its in your hips and not like with me in my fingers. I have finger joint replacements but they are far from perfect, where as hip replacements work brilliantly. I know many people who have had them done and they are all pain free and lead a very active life. I would be asking the question, when can I have my hip replaced. 

people on here will suggest diets and loads of other stuff but the one thing that has been proven to work is hip replacement surgery which is very common. 

Dont be depressed, its just happened to you earlier than the rest of us. 

• Posted

I don't think it's quite fair to compare her hip pain to your finger pain and make the assumption that your pain is worse than hers. Everyone perceives their pain in a different way. And although hip surgery is fairly common place these days it is a joint that has to support the entire upper part of your body.

• Posted

Where did wknight make any comparisons about pain?  I don't know about finger joints but I know foot surgery has not been perfected whereas I've never met anyone who wasn't thrilled with their hip surgery!

• Posted

When she said "The good news is it's in your hips and not like me with my fingers."

• Posted

So easy to interpret things differently, because I understood it to be a comparison of the effectiveness of the potential surgery!

Best wishes for a merry Christmas season and a very happy (and healthier) new year!

• Posted

I have always been a very active person, however at 50 I was diagnosed with arthritis in both hips, one was worse than the other.  My 1st hip was replaced at 51, and I must say recovery was very easy, playing tennis again at 6 weeks.  I'm having my other one done next month, and I'll be 53.  The new hips last around 30 years, and are so much better than an arthritic hip.  They are not slowing me down at all. 

You are young, but if you get to the point of needing them replaced, you will be so ready, and will do great.  

• Posted

Wow what a great story of hip replacement success to share with all us hippies. It's great to hear that hippies can get back to a normal and healthy life. 

Myself lf had three hip replacements. I am very well and doing all the things and back to a active healthy life. 

Sending you you lots of healing blessing on your next hip journey. Keep us posted.

Happy Holidays 🎄🎉

• Posted

Oh my, 3!  You are definitely the hip expert.  It's like taking care of business when it's time, but the outcome is so worth it!  

• Posted

Exactly, with the new clinics that are popping up all over with new surgery tables include X-ray and MRI to assist during surgery and robot surgery for better accuracy and  techniques all available. Most THR is a alternative we have to do to better our quality of life and mobility. 

Sometimes we have to keep up on the whole process and be our own health advocate. In the end it's the skill of the surgeon we depend on. 

Have a great 2018 ! 

• Posted

Tnx for youre replyes guys , but i was wondering cuz my  ortopedian told me that in 30 years i will need a hip replacement ... and i know that is not true.... and i was wondering how mutch can i delay the procedure without completley affectting my quality of life ... that s why i aked for how long people have had this problem and how long they can manage this disiease 
    • Posted

When it keeps you from doing the things you like to do (the only thing I've been told not to do is running), or if the pain is waking you up at night---it's time, and you are just putting off the inevitable.  With hips lasting 30 years before a revision is needed--there is no reason to delay.  

• Posted

Why do you want to delay? They can easily replace a hip, I know people who are on their 2nd joint on one side. The only way to improve your quality of life and get back to normal is to get that hip joint replaced with a replacement joint. You will be pain free and can move like normal, why delay feeling better, seethe other posts. 
  • Posted

Exactly, finger joint surgery doesnt give you full movement, where as hip replacement you get full movement back provided you do the physio after the op. Its a joint replacement that is very successful. of course the people with problems always post but they are a very,very small minority, the vast majority return to a a normal life again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.