Diagnosed with bilateral osteoartritis of the hip and prety scared

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hy everyone ! I ve just been diagnosed with bilateral hip osteoartrithis and need some opinions from people who are fighting this disiease.i am preety scared cuz i am only 32 yo and i can t stop thinking about what will hapen to me. How long can i manage this disiease , for how long people are suffering from it ... and can live a decent life. I am verry depresed and need a lotle info about how i can manage this situation.

Btw my artrithis in the early stage but still pretty scared sad hope to have some opinions from you guys

Good health and merry christmas

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

?I'm 52 and had a LTHR in September. When I think back to when I started to be aware something wasn't 'quite right' in my hip I was probably in my mid to late 30's. It could have been even before, as I was never able to cross that leg over the other one, and just assumed it was because it didn't feel natural, and I could not carry heavy shopping on that side either. As I was doing lots of high impact martial arts, (which I only started around 30) I assumed it was pain from the things we would do in training and fighting. I gave the training up around 40, and it wasn't till around 48 and had an MRI I really became aware of the problem getting worse. I am a little overweight, but it was probably only the last year that I started to struggle and made the decision to seek replacement. My point is, is that you are young enough to look after yourself, keep your weight down and look after your hips as much as you can for now. I held out as I thought 52 was way too young, but now I have had my replacement and made a good recovery I can't believe I put myself through that pain for nothing. The plus side also of having surgery a little younger is that the recovery will be easier and your life will go back to normal. Enjoy your life for now and try not to think of what might come. But even if it does everything will work out just fine. confused

• Posted

This was the most helpful reply i recived , tnx alot .. now i m kinda depresed cuz i had a good life and had an accident at the gym and it took me by storm. I m quite traumatized to say the least ... is the only thing i think about .... but tell me .. can u have sexual relations ... how is the social life ... please share .. what can i do .. like job or something ... tnx 
    • Posted

Hi again,

?Even though I'm still relatively early in the recovery process I am doing well. My walking is really good, I have gone back to a very physical job, and yes, you have to adapt a little bit, but you can resume sexual relations. I can swim, probably better than before, although I have to be careful getting in and out of the pool. This week I am experiencing slightly more aches and pains and fatigue as I have resumed 12.5 hour shifts on my feet all day, but I think it's hard for everyone. I did manage to get an old chap up from the floor who had fallen with a colleague with no ill effects afterwards. The only things I'm struggling with are socks and shoes, and I have to use the 'golfers bend' if I want to pick something up from the floor (not elegant, and awkward in small spaces !!) It is quite funny though that my patients must realise something isn't quite right, as they offer to pick things up that I have dropped, and quite often they are in their 80's!! ( and I do drop things on an astonishing scale!!) I think the biggest change for me though is that I'm not constantly miserable and in terrible pain. My hip is not all I think about now and I am returning to the happy, bubbly person that I was before. smile

• Posted

Great insight. Like ur positive attitude and philosophy on THR. Had my first THR at 48. Now on my third. So there you go many of us can live a better quality of life and maintain mobility.
  • Posted

Hi Litamarius,

First of all I understand what you’re feeling about having arthritis. I was 32 when I started having heberdens nodes in my fingers and I’m now 42, and feeling pain in both my hips.I feel very scared too especially because I have a very young child and I’m not sure how will I be in a few years when the pain gets worse. 

Do you know what has caused your arthritis? With me it was genetics and giving birth once. My mum has had several replacement surgeries.

Just like you, my arthritis is in early stage but the daily discomfort/pain I feel, especially now both hips hurt, causes me to feel down and not want to do much.

Are you in the UK? You could google clinical trials that might recruit people like us for testing new treatment therapies. Have you read about stem cells therapy or any other therapies? Research about it. Someone might be able to help you to find a innovative treatment that can help with your arthritis. Are you doing physiotherapy or any other thing? I don’t know if it helps a lot, I haven’t tried yet. Get a good orthopaedic doctor and ask him about any new treatments besides NSAIDs . I know it’s not going to be easy, but don’t give up . I really think that it won’t be too long now to find other new ways to fight this disease! Fingers cross🤞🏻

• Posted

Best to avoid NSAIDs for the very simple reason that they interfere with cartilage renewal.  I have never taken them for arthritis although I do take aspirin from time to time for headaches so don't have to avoid altogether.  Was diagnosed with OA when I was 40 but pretty sure I'd had arthritic changes in my neck and feet long before.  I have always taken glucosamine, capsules with powder in them, not solid tablets, 1000 mg morning and evening.  I am now 70 and the OA has progressed very little.  

• Posted

That’s really good you manage to control your arthritis . I’m looking into taking something natural for the joints and hoping it can help me too. I have  gastritis  so I’ve never considered taking NSAIDs.  I also hope that will be new drugs in the future too  that dont cause bad effects to the body but help with the arthritis. 
    • Posted

Mine was caused  by over doing thing at the gym , i did an exercise at th leg press and all my ligaments bended sad i m kinda scared cuz i think i have artrithis in all my inferior ligament . ... i am doing phisioterapy and it is ok ... but i m alarm scared of the tears to come becaus as i heqrd is only geting worse , i am in romania and dont think here are quite surchfull of new antidota ... and yes i heard above t stemm cell and for hear that it has a 50 50 chance and is very expensive but as i said h re in romania it dos t expected st , i woUld gladly do it but dont have acces best of wishes and keep me posted and i will do the same 
    • Posted

U are one of the luky ones. Did u keep diet ... areyou a smoker smile 
    • Posted

Arthritis is only in bone do you know what is wrong with your ligaments.
    • Posted

Litamarius, I am not a smoker and I have been either at a normal weight or, more recently, underweight throughout my adult life.  I have also kept fairly active, although I'm not athletic, and have done a little bit of yoga and some physio exercises for years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.