Diarrhea Mirtazapine

Posted , 15 users are following.

Ive been on Mirtazapine for 10 days... at first it was all fine. I wasnt tired, not zombieish and feeling good. For the past two days Ive sufferes serious diarrhea, joint and muscle pain and headache. Anyone else experience this? Does the diarrhea go away?

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maybe you have a bug? It could be your body adjusting to the meds, but there is a tummy bug going around. See how you feel in a few days. I would of thought if you were going to get side effects then it would of been before 10 days.
    • Posted

Okay hopefully its just a bug, since I.actuallt like mirta
  • Posted

I have been on mirtazapine 2 and a half years. Not had diarroeah on it. Had headache in the first week but not the other symptoms you mentioned. Hope you feel better ☺
  • Posted

It is a good drug for depression. There is a lot of negative comments on here about it,  but it was a life saver for me. Yes I feel groggy some days, but am also on sleeping tablets and other night time meds. Only reason I want to come off it, though am reluctant because how much it helped is 4 stone weight gain. That is my negative. Yep definitely a lot of bugs going around right now. I was on the toilet all last week also with headache and generally feeling yuck.
  • Posted

Same thing happened to me at the 10th day with severe headache.  I was told it was a bug. Then Zi understood it was mirtazapine. That was the first time my body was trying to tell me to quit the drug...this is the sign you'll have many side effects if you continue. If it' ONLY 10 days I would stop it now, to avoid future withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

You are highly annoying. You are trolling the mirtazapine forums and keep telling people to stop taking it. Just because you had a bad experience,  you don't have the right to keep telling people to stop taking it. Are you a doctor? Guess what?  Mirtazapine saved my life. I attempted suicide 3 times 3 years ago. I was ready to jump out of a top window. You might not of liked the drug, but everyone is different. They have different chemistry and different illness. When people are just starting mirtazapine they are in a highly depressed and anzip us state, people like you frighten them and make it worse. If you aren't on Mirtazapine,  why are you trolling this forum? Anti depressants could mean the difference between life and death for some people,  bear that in mind. I could say that paroxetine is poison to people because of what happened to me, but I won't do that to people. 
    • Posted

When a person develops heavy side effects since day one it means it will develop others in the future and it also indicates a very difficult withdrawal.  I'm very sorry for what happened to you and very happy you are still here. In your case it really helped! Each case is very different. Have a blessed Sunday. M
    • Posted

Well said, mirt was a live saver for me too,  yes I had side effects but feeling better out weighs them. From what I have read all antidepressants have some sort of side effects. Before starting mirt I had not slept for 6 weeks and was in a dark place now after 7 months I am ready to start coming off them. We also have a three month old little girl which I have managed to deal with very well, so this drug is not all bad and feel it's one of the milder ones. 
    • Posted

Thanks for writing that reply. I wish people wern't so anti Mirt, I waited 6 weeks before starting these because of what I had read. But now I wish I had started earlier since its really a life saver!
    • Posted

That is actually not true either. Many side effects disappear within 6 weeks once your body adjusts. Not saying I don't get minor effects from mirtazapine,  but they don't out way the benefits. I was put in another antidepressant clomipramine. I had horrific side effects for 5 weeks including agitation and urges to drink bleach which is something that has never entered my head. I almost stopped them afer 3 days, but they helped so much after the initial side effects. Never had a problem since  so it's important for people to expect side effects early on. Obviously if they are severe then they need to discuss with the doctor. 
    • Posted

stardust, I couldn't agree more that people are all DIFFERENT,that is why we all have a different opinion on there experience of certain medications.      Including manuelmanuel,who has been extremely helpful to me,and to call him a troll is very rude.   One of the opinions of a lot of people have on this site is when withdrawing on this drug a lot of people have bad experiences.     One point myself and manuelmanuel have is when your put on a drug there is a leaflet telling you about side affects you MAY have but nothing on side effects you MAY have withdrawing from them. So please don't be rude to people who are trying to help each other.    Have a nice day.
    • Posted

Hi Norma, thank you for your post drawing attention to people withdrawing from mirtazepine. I have been taking this medication for 6 years without any problems until I have started coming off it a few weeks ago. Now I am struggling with muscle aches, clearing my throat all the time and intermittent insomnia, none of which I remember when starting on the drug. I saw an ENT consultant today (for an unrelated reason) and he commented to me that mirtazepine is a very difficult drug to come off. I found this strangely comforting as I realize that this fight is not just about me but is completely a chemical thing that I need to withdraw very slowly from my body. I hope this information may be helpful to others smile
    • Posted

I wasn't being rude as such. I haven't been on the forum for long,  but I had noticed quite a few posts of people starting mirtazapine and their anxiety and on these posts Manuel was telling people to stop taking it. This is something I totally disagree with. I was literally poisoned for 12 years by paroxetine and the withdrawal nearly ended my life. I cannot and would not tell people starting it to get off it now. I am not a rude person and it was not my intention to offend anyone. I was simply trying to say to Manuel, that it's not down to someone on here to tell someone to get off a medication, especially when that person is likely to be in a highly depressed or anxious state. You don't know what that persons exact history or what medications they have tried and didn't work, when this actually could be the one that ends up helping that person. I know from personal experience the anxiety of starting a new antidepressant can put you through. You start looking on the Internet and find people scaring you with negatives, it makes things so much worse. People need reassuring. Never should they be told "get off this medication now" unless told by a doctor. And if someone is posting asking about side effects by all means share your experience, but tell them to go back to the doctor. I have side effects from mirtazapine, but they got better. In my experience things like upset stomachs when starting medication and from other people it is short lived. For every 100 people, there are going to be 10 that have a negative. 
    • Posted

Hi Stardust I also don't want to offend you or anyone else. But I do think you could put your point across without calling someone annoying or a troll.         I do believe these sites are for everyone to express there experience of a certain drug. If you disagree with there opinion then just ignore it.  I'm also very sorry for the problems you've had,and if Mirtazapine suits you that's great .But please don't insult people,everyone on here is unwell.                        Wishing you all the best.
    • Posted

Only joking

I value everybody's experiences some good some bad that's what this site is all about helping each other!!

Stay safe 

• Posted

Here here,I totally agree.       You take care aswell.                                         (And just for the record, I do take Valium LOL )
    • Posted

I'm already on valium.   LOL . Now on that drug. ..A whole other story of addiction and bad times. Isn't it sad that we have become a nation stuck on psychiatric drugs. In all honesty I wish I could go back 16 years and refused the unnecessary prescription for prozac. All the best to everyone on here. We are all on the same sort of jourey.  But what I will say is. IT DOES GET BETTER! I've been to hell and back and almost gave up. But no matter how dark things get, it definitely doesn't last forever x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.