Diarrhea Mirtazapine

Posted , 15 users are following.

Ive been on Mirtazapine for 10 days... at first it was all fine. I wasnt tired, not zombieish and feeling good. For the past two days Ive sufferes serious diarrhea, joint and muscle pain and headache. Anyone else experience this? Does the diarrhea go away?

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

LLie I had the exact opposite side effect of Mirtazapine. I became extremely constipated. I hadn’t had a bowel movement for a couple of days and was in pain. I can’t drive and it only made the pain worse when I had to walk to a local clinic (in America). The Dr. looked up Mirtazapine and one of the side effects was constipation. It was at a point where he couldn’t help me and told me to go the ER of a local hospital. It was an unpleasant experience but I was told since I take this med to get up and walk around, only if it amounted to walking in my home. To stay active, for at least me, is what I have to do.
    • Posted

Oh no! Im sorry to hear that! Doesnt sound fun at all! Are you still constipated or was it just a one time experience? Hope it gets better smile
    • Posted

I've only had a couple more episodes. The last time was about 1 1/2 months ago. It took a long painful time and thought I was delivering a baby, first for a male. I drink hot coffee in the morning and think that helps.
    • Posted

not being flippant, but have you tried taking laxatives in addition to your mirtazapine. I found that helped my constipation until I found I didn't really need laxatives anymore
    • Posted

stephen, No, I don’t use over the counter laxatives. I sometimes juice frozen strawberries and pineapple (or other frozen fruit). Or sometimes I’ll eat a salad adding tomatoes and sometimes an avocado. But I almost always drink plenty of fluids. I had a friend that took a med that caused her to have constipation and she ate prunes everyday, but I don't like prunes. The hot morning coffee (caffine?) seems to work most of the time.
  • Posted

Mirt helped me sleep and made my life so much better, like a miracle drug. I do want to say I wouldn't worry about the diarrhea or headaches so much, just a minor adjustment to the medication. I do want to mention that I developed muscle pain in my hips and legs, so I went back to my doctor I think about six months into taking the mirt. He said it was fibro and nothing much could be done. Some days the muscle pain was real bad others not so bad. It got to the point another doctor told me it was sciatica and I might need an operation. But just then not much later my prescribing doctor for the mirt accidentally made a prescription for 15 instead of 30 and the muscle pain was reduced noticeably. Muscsle/ joint pain only happens in 6% of mirt users. I would keep an eye on it and see but don't let doctors tell you it's not from the mirt because it might be. That's the reason I got off the mirt. Good luck...best health.

im not trolling and feel I would be irresponsible if I didn't call your attention to this.

• Posted

Thanks, I do have back pain but mostly hip pains, but I can live with that but the diarrhea is whats bothering me the most. Im glad the Mirtazapine helped you. There is too much Mirta-hate on the internet, it really dud put me off trying it, but Im glad I did!
    • Posted

Hi rose

I have been on mirt for 6 months and have the same problem with muscle pain in my legs and the bottoms of my feet, but it has got me back to a better place. Now starting to come off it as u feel the time is right

G

• Posted

Well said Rose. I personally have found Manuelmanuel to be very helpful. And a perfect Gent. I believe he has helped a lot of people on this site.        Lille should realise everyone is entitled to an opinion,and I for one don't see you or Manuelmanuel as a troll.
    • Posted

I do sincerely apologise to lilies,for the above remark, that was meant to be directed to Stardust.
    • Posted

Hi Norma

thanks....I'm. to trying to be a troll or a bother to anyone. It's hard to believe that something good can contain something bad as well. Such is life I guess.

i even had someone question me because I was an American on this site..when I signed up they didn't question what country I came from, so I felt welcomed. How are you Norma? I sure hope you are feeling well and healthy...hugs x

• Posted

I agree Norma Manuel is a very smart and kind guy, only out to helps others!
    • Posted

Hi Rose, I read the posts about you asking how the peeps doing,but I couldn't reply as I could only read the posts and couldn't reply. Anyway as I told Manuelmanuel,I'm really struggling with the withdrawal of Mirtazapine.   I have got from 45mg down to 15mg,but I suffer chronic IBS,and the lower I go the more pain I feel in my Tummy. My Gp has told me to stay with the 15mg now Untill after Christmas to allow my body to get used to it,so that's where I'm at at the moment. Anyway I hope your well and your neither a troll or annoying,and the fact your American don't bother me at all. I value anyone's oppinion. Keep well and keep in touch your welcome anytime.          Big Hugs.  Norma
    • Posted

Dear Norma,

I think you should try the Cita protocol.

Anytime we do a reduction there is a change in chemestry and our body has to readapt to the new dose. This is why we keep suffering even if we do a tiny reduction. Rose has just completed Cita. I should complete it by the end of November, even if my doctor would like me to accelerate. Nice to have you back. Manuel

• Posted

I agree iam using it and it has helped loads rather than going cold turkey as my doc said to do!
    • Posted

I am on 6 mg at present and hope to be off it in 7 weeks!! I take an antihistamine and GABA and melatonin when I have trouble sleeping 
    • Posted

Hi Norma...

sorry to hear about the IBS and the WD, can't imagine both.ive had to go on pills for my tum because of mirt WD...and I can't believe how well they work. I have only had to use one a day so far but can take three. I take one and within an hour all the pain and discomfort is gone. They are called ondansetron 4 mg. I don't however know what this would do for your IBS. I don't know enough about it to comment I'm thinking it causes evacuation problems to both extremes?

anyhow wanted to mention this medication. It's really been invaluable while going off this crap.

i hope you're feeling ok today big hugs x

• Posted

Hi Manuel ...

So glad you will be off before th holidays...so nice for you and your family!

have a sunny day...

• Posted

Hi Manuel, I am currently attempting to come off mirtazepine after 6 years usage. Can you tell me, please, what is the Cita protocol? Many thanks.
    • Posted

Hi wizard, the weird thing is my muscle pain in my buttocks and legs is almost all the way gone now ( I've been off a couple weeks) but weirdly....the bottoms of my feet are now hurting. This mirt is a giant puzzle. I don't understand any of it!

good luck Wizard!

• Posted

Good luck wizard and stick around because the people here helped me more than my doctors!
    • Posted

Cannot send you the link, it's not allowed here. Just search it on the internet, super easy to find.
    • Posted

We have sunny days until the end of this week, Rose. A quick hug, I'm going to have dinner...
    • Posted

If I'm off by the end of November...I'm going to suffer a little bit for a fw weeks (hope not too much because I'm exausted ) and be in great shape for Christmas. Hope this story ends because I have a movie to direct. 
    • Posted

Hi Rose, I hope you are keeping well. Manuel mentioned that you have just completed Cita, could you explain this to me please? Is this where you titrate the dose down slowly the liquid medication?
    • Posted

Yes the bottom of my feet still hurt very wired 

Thanks take care

• Posted

Hi sleepless,

actually what it is, is a slow weaning process once you get to 7.5. Did you mention your dosage at the moment? Personally I didn't have much of a problem going from 15 to 7.5. Listen to your body. If you start to feel unstable then stop right there. So if this part is painful you may need to inch by inch.

once you get to 7.5, get stable for about two months I believe and then imstead of reducing the amount of the medication. You start to remove days that you take it. For example. First week take 7.5 all week except Sunday. When stable again take the mirt every day except Wed. And Sunday. Pretty soon you can get down to every other day and then towards the end it once a week...then zero. This is not the exact chart. It's just an example.

are you from the US or the UK? Doesn't matter much but I would google CITA UK. The charts have a link to the left of the sight for AD WD ....you'll see the one for the mirt. I tried cold turkey and only got 20 days in and I was sick as a dog and had to go back on the mirt. Although I'm certainly not recovered from this, I haven't had the violent episodes I had with cold turkey. I was told there was no such thing as mirt withdrawl ...by a doctor of all people. So google the CITA chart. It's a smart easier less painful way to get off. Let me know if you can't find it...good luck sleepless and I hope tonight you get a few winks in.

let me know how your doing2💤💜

• Posted

Hi sleepless,

I took it for 8 years myself ...so we have that in common, longevity of being n this medication , feel free to chat with me I hope I can help in anyway possible with your discontinuation of mirt.

im all ears👿...those horns are really my ears...ha😇

• Posted

Hi Rose, thank you so much for your posts smile Ive had some problems alternating with the doses (as suggested by my gp) once down on the 30mg and thats when the insomnia started. This wasn't working for me as it was whole nights and obv interferred with work so I've now changed that to a straight swap to 15mg a night intead and (fingers crossed) I seem to have settled a bit on that except for some muscle aches and having to constantly clear my throat. (I think I said the other day I was down to 7.5, but I'm not there yet!) I've found your information really helpful and I will bear it in mind. I'm on several meds and this is the first one that I'm trying to wean off before I start on the next one. I'm in the UK. It's so good to be able to talk to others that understand this struggle smile I hope things are going ok for you and thank you so much again smile
    • Posted

Hi there 

yes, what doctors forget often is that for insomnia mirt at 7.5 is the most sedating . I have been on 45 then 30 ,15 but 7.5 was what actually put me straight to bed and keep me asleep stay settled on your current dose and when you have a nice break in life..vacation time ect....get it down to 7.5. You'll also have fewer side effects as well. I just couldn't continue with the muscle aches ...it got to be to much pain almost all the time. I wish you luck with your weaning. You'll get there, it's not all that bad💙

• Posted

Good morning! 

News from the imperial Rome:

the sun keeps shining and there is no cloud. Unreal.

Accustomed to a gloomy Germany, this morning I thought that somebody might have photoshopped this sky.

And giggled.

A warm hug to Rose, Norma, Fudgey, Jo.

By the way, I always thought that a troll was a swedish legendary monster.

I ignored that this term has evolved into an internet  jargon. Manuel

• Posted

Hi Rose,

thanks, I'm seeing my gp week after next and I think I'll try for the next reduction to 7.5 then. I wish you luck too, have a good day smile

• Posted

Hi sleepless, like you I had sleep problems.I was started on 45mg,but with Manuelmanuel help and the CITA Protacol which he was allowed to put on at the time,I've now got down to 15mg,but because I suffer chronic Ibs the pain is getting stronger the lower I come down. My Gp told me to stay at that until after Xmas to let my body settle down. Also like you Im on other Meds I want to come off when I've got off the Mirtazapine.  My God don't life come with its struggles. Look after yourself Big Hug 
    • Posted

I do apologise for calling you a troll. I haven't been on here long and the posts I happened to see from you were all telling people to stop taking mirtazapine. A troll in Internet / forum form is someone who constantly posts negative comments because of a pure hatred of something. I do apologise. The only thing i wont retract is when I said you shouldn't tell people to stop taking a medication when they have just started it. It only frightens people who could actually benefit from that medication. 

All the best. And I am sorry for accusing you of being a troll 😈 

• Posted

I will try and follow all the advice I'm getting from you kind folks on here Norma, thanks. Yes life does seem to throw things at us, here's some pills to help you , but don't bother trying to get off them! haha bit like hotel california, "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"

Haha hope everyone has a good evening/night big hugs x

• Posted

" and I was thinking to myself this could be heaven or this could be hell"

haha...youre right hotel california...

feel better quick 

• Posted

Thank you Stardust.

When I get offended I usually try to accept it and wait until the truth is reestablished. Which gives you the great opportunity not to fuel your pride.

Before attending the academy of fine arts I spent an entire summer drawing trolls in Sweden, copying John Bauer's drawings.

If you do not know John Bauer you definitely should. Those are the real trolls. Have a great day and God bless, Manuel 

• Posted

How right you both are. Hotel California it is then. Good job we can laugh or we're all be crying.😃😃😃 keep smiling we will all get there. Ha Ha.             Take care
    • Posted

Hi sleepless I just thought I'd ask you what other meds are you going to try and come off after the Mirtazapine,as I'm on a lot of Medication and there's a few I want to come off. Hope your well.    Norma
    • Posted

Hi Norma, after mirt the next one I'm going to tackle is sertraline. Another tricky one I fear, then after that, one called topiramate then I would like to try to get off the zopiclone. I'm going to at this for some time smile xx
    • Posted

I am on so many medications I will at some point need to come off. The one I am dreading is Zopiclone. I have been on 7.5 mg for 13 years. I can't sleep without it. I do sleep well now once I go to sleep that is. Worries me though.
    • Posted

I know what you mean. I've been taking it for years too. I was on 15 mg at one point but am now down to 3.75 mg and that seems to work just as well but I can't see how I'm ever going to retrain my body to sleep without it al all, but one step at a time. It's just the mirt for now smile I hope you get some sleep tonight xx
    • Posted

Hi sleepless,I was once given Zopiclone as an alternative to Tamazapam,I was on holiday and I've never felt so depressed in my life,my doctor told me I was allergic to them,and never to take a tablet begining with Z, so I went back to Tamazapam,that was 15yrs ago now my GP is saying I should come off them because there addictive. Ha what a joke.  But I am on Pregablin which is another bad tablet to come off. So that will be my next hurdle if I ever get off Mirtazapine. Anyway take care and keep well.
    • Posted

Thing is Norma, it's all very well the GPs prescribing us the drugs for 15 years then saying 'you need to come off them now because they're addictive' isn't it?! They just omit to tell you how on earth you're meant to achieve this!!!

Keep going, this will get better smile xx

• Posted

Hi he can try and get me off Tamazapam but he'll have a fight on his hands,trying to come off other drugs is hard enough,I need my sleep to cope with my days.  Hope your right sleepless and it does get better.                            Big Hugs 😀
    • Posted

Haha that's the spirit! You do what's right for you Norma smile you'll get there in the end, take care, big hugs to you too xx
    • Posted

I had a problem with them a few years back. I was taking 1 and a half of 7.5 mg at night,  but was also taking 3.75 early evening to numb me.  My doctor sussed it out in the end as I was getting earlier and earlier with my repeat prescription . I now just stick to the 7.5 at bedtime along with mirtazapine,  seroquel 2 clonazepam 2 promethazine and I finally do get to sleep by 3 am. My doctor left me on them for so many years because there was nothing else he could do. But now I have a psychiatrist he wants to start getting me off then.😕 
    • Posted

That was meant to say relaxation. 
    • Posted

I know what you mean stardust, when the insomnia is there, nothing seems to work. I just mean that it's worth trying everything to help the process but I do know how frustrating it is to still be wide awake when you know that you should be sleeping because you've got things to be getting on with the next day and you need some energy to do that sad Sometimes it can help though to do things like relax, have a warm bath, read, surf the net (as has been suggested on here) get some little jobs done that you've been leaving 'for later' to help yourself to feel less frustrated at the sleeplessness if you just can't get anywhere with it. Then sometimes, especially with reading, looking at computer/tablets you may find yourself able to drift off eventually. It's worth making the bed as comfortable/inviting as possible so that it is a place that you so want to be so that even if you don't sleep you are totally relaxed and at least getting some form of rest. That's what I tell myself anyway smile Hope things improve for you very soon. Best wishes xx
    • Posted

I  refuse to get off Zopiclone. If I'm on it for life then so be it. As long as I sleep on it, which I do. Like Norma, they can take away mirtazapine but they wont be taking my Zopiclone. Haha. As for clonazepam which is a long acting valium. I should not of been left on it for 3 years. By now I will definitely have a dependence on it. I don't blame the doctors in this case, they did what was nessersary for me at the time. However I do blame the doctors for putting me on antidepressants 16 years ago. I did not need them and feel now I will have a life of being stuck on one form of psychiatric drugs. It's because of seroxat that I ended up on Zopiclone. And it's 12 years of seroxat that has led me to the cocktail of drugs I'm on now.
    • Posted

I totally understand how you feel about the zopiclone, stardust. I, too, have been on it for so long I can't imagine how I will ever be able to manage withoutit. Even with the wd from mirt and I have the occasional complete insomnia, when I've upped the dose of zopiclone to try to sleep it hasn't helped so I'm at a loss to imagigine how my body will be able to get to sleep naturally every night. But for now I'm going to concentrate on the mirt. It took me several weeks to begin the wd process. I knew I was ready but I was nervous about starting. I know I've got a long road ahead of me and that it will be a slow process but I've started the journey now and I will try to continue and hopefully finish with this drug then start on the next one and who knows, eventually I amy just be laft with the zopiclone and I can tacle that, slowly but surely. Maybe we can look at slowly coming off one drug at a time together, if the time is right for you? I don't mean to blame the doctors, I just wish I had been better informed at the time regarding the difficulties of comimg off these medications at the other end of things. Very best wishes to you smile xx
    • Posted

Stardust I'm also on Diazpam to keep me calm another drug I've been on for about13yrs. I was given that for IBS now there telling me I've got to come off that aswell, I'm actually on 5drugs for IBS rediculuse.But tamazapam and Diazapam give me no side effects at all,so the boxing gloves are on as I suffer with IBS all day my releif is sleep.  Over the years I had Emphesema and have been given steroids which caused me to have Osteoporosis then I had heart attack and was given amadrone which caused me an Underactive Thyroid. So now I take my own health into my own hands. But unlike me I don't normally agree with Nick but if you've got a good pharmacist that's the man to see.  Talk about a cocktail of drugs Stardust my husband says if he took what I do he'd never wake up ha ha. Still all keep well and stamp your feet.
    • Posted

By directing comments to people your also been rude.i think telling people to come off a drug when there in a dark place is disgusting we are here to help each other. And if telling someone to come of a drug when they may need this even if they do get side effects is NOT helpful. Maybe he has been helpful in some forums but this one he is scaring the s**t out of people. So stop been rude yourself and leave stardust alone! She is extremely helpful.
    • Posted

Thank you Emma ☺ I am coming off this forum. For those of you on here I have been a support worker for people like my selves and others. I have an awful lot of experience in mental illness and supporting those with it. I have been shocked by what I have read on this forum. Scaring unwell people is not helpful in their recovery and can actually be very damaging. I only come on here to ask about weight gain on mirtazapine and at the same time answered a few people's questions. I won't be returning. It's enough to depress and cause anxiety for people that are in a good place, let alone those that are in desperate need for reassurance and not to be told " get off it now"!

Stay off the Internet everyone when it comes to medications and symptoms. It will make you ill. My doctor told me that.

Blessings and good health to you all.

• Posted

I personally have never told anyone to come off a medication. The reason for telling someone they were rude was because she called a certain person a troll,and if you don't think that is rude,then you had a different upbringing to me,I was taught calling people names is rude. Like Sleepless I am on here for other people's oppinion,now like me you take it or leave it,you do not have to call people names.   So I do not appreciate being called rude when I was just supporting someone who has been a great help to me and many others. So just as you think Stardust is of help to you,I think Manuelmanuel is of hep to me.  So shall we leave it at that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.