Diarrhea Mirtazapine

Posted , 15 users are following.

Ive been on Mirtazapine for 10 days... at first it was all fine. I wasnt tired, not zombieish and feeling good. For the past two days Ive sufferes serious diarrhea, joint and muscle pain and headache. Anyone else experience this? Does the diarrhea go away?

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi llie i started on mirt 9 weeks ago and the first two weeks i could not stay off the loo,also could not stop eating but both settled down now! I slept in until 6am also having only slept until 3am for 3 months.   Good luck.x
    • Posted

Okay hopefully this will pass.... hope you're doing well! 
  • Posted

Hi all,

I have noticed a couple of arguments in the Mirt discussions. 

Please see http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/topics/59133-discussion-forums where there are guides and FAQs about using the forums. This includes http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398318-alternative-medicines-opinions-etc about opinions etc.

We do not have the time nor will we get involved in individual disputes between users but if discussions are breaking down due to conflicts or users are getting offensive please use the report link to draw them to our attention.

Do not tell people outright to come off medication and also do not resort to personal attacks or comments in the forums. All this does is discourage others from posting. 

Regards,

Alan 

• Posted

llie and everyone else: I take 45mg of Mirtazapine about an hour before going to bed. I have epilepsy and take two meds for it. One causes insomnia and the other causes anger. Mirtazapine has helped in both categories. The worst side effect for me has been constipation. But Mirtazapine doesn’t help my lack of motivation. I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. All meds have a range of side effects that are different for each individual. I’ve been on a boat load of anticonvulsants over the years before the right combo was found. In each case, it wasn’t a matter of switching from one drug to another overnight. I had to slowly tapered off one while slowly increasing on another, it wasn’t a one day process, otherwise it could have triggered a convulsion.

It’s the same scenario for tapering off of Mirtazapine. If you quite cold turkey, it’s the same thing, the brain needs time to adjust to what amounts to avoiding withdrawal addiction. I found one web site that gave a dosage reduction of coming off 45mg Mirtazapine over a 3 month period. It’s like when I quit smoking 2 packs of cigarettes in one day, I had a lot of anger. But after 15 years of not having one, I’m back to smoking with no desire to quit, but that is another story.

With all the responses to Mirtazapine, I think I have enough material to write a book. (Sarcasm)

I’m surprised how little discussion there is on epilepsy and the meds. on this site. So if anyone else has epilepsy, please start a discussion. I put up one post and had only one reply.

Everyone take care. Steve

• Posted

Hi Steve have you tried the patient.info site for Epilepsy,you might find more people on that site that understands your problems better.                 Good Luck
  • Posted

One more thing to add. During the past 2 years during my time doing support work, I have seen people jump out a 2nd story window, throw themselves down a long hard staircase, burn their arm over a stove, take overdoses, take themselves down to a known suicide point, slice their arms and legs up....these things seriously upset me. These are people that are either on or need medication. To tell these people, and anyone on this forum could be any one of these people to get off medication.....NO! Seriously dangerous. A doctor will assess these people and choose a medication they think is right for that person given their symptoms, history and how they individually feel. No one on here has a right to tell people to get off medication, because they do not know the story behind it. Take care.
    • Posted

I hope you are ok Rose? The only reason I have reached out to this forum was for support while coming off mirt under the supervision of my gp at the right time after many years and following recovery as I'm sure many others are doing also. This is very different to trying to suggest to someone NOT to take it in the first place or to come off it without referring back to medical supervision/advice, rather just discussing wd symptoms and exchanging methods of coping. For my part, in the short time I have been on here, I have found it useful and supportive to know that there are others on the same journey as me that understand what i am going through. Very best wishes to everyone and a good night's sleep hopefully smile xx
  • Posted

Hi sleepless and Norma, and all...

hope you guys are doing ok today...I'm thinking of you with good thoughts of health and relaxing.

keep in touch

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.