Did anyone here do mini-monovision?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Are you happy? Any input?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Is mini monovision what your wife is leaning towards?

• Posted

Yes mini monovision set for distance. Left eye 0.00 and right eye with difference of .5. Nothing final yet.

The idea of EDOF or Trifocal IOLs scares her.

We are in the mountains currently, hiking holiday. First 2 days her vision was very blurry and seeing her suffer made me really sad. Since yesterday her vision is sharp again.

Heart breaking dealing with this yo yo bluriness. Operation date is set for 3rd week of August for left eye.

• Posted

• Posted

For us all there is a certain level of worry and frightened about unknown. I was never really comfortable with my decision to go with EDOF lenses but knew my requirements were not the same as others. I was and am very active - working full time tor a good number of years to come and the opportunity to be less glasses dependent was just too appealing.

I have not regretted my decision but do know the back and forth I put myself through with lens selection wasn't a fun time.

• Posted

WorriedHusband, I can't offer any advice on mini-monovision.If your wife is willing to tolerate glasses, and is fearful of EDOF or tri-focals, then this may be a good option.Seems like then the question is whether it is preferable to need glasses for near, or for distance.

Thought I'd mention one thing I read from one of the articles I linked before, particularly since it relates to a new device (Vivior) just developed in Switzerland. Don't know where this technology stands now, or if it would be helpful for you and your wife, but thought I'd copy some sections below:

"Within the next few years it’s going to be ludicrous to even think that at some point we chose an IOL without objective data, This new technology, named Vivior, is a wearable monitor fitted on the patient’s own spectacles or a clear pair of spectacles if the patient does not currently wear glasses, which over a number of days tracks viewing distance, activity, head position, ambient light and other context parameters. Measurements are monitored, recorded and saved to the cloud for processing and analysis.

*It gives you all the information you need on the patient’s visual lifestyle, an objective defocus curve, the true time they use specific viewing distances. By using Vivior in our trials, we realized how misleading patient-reported information might be. Patients don’t know what they need, and if they do, they don’t know how to tell us what they need. And we are not particularly good listeners, anyhow,” *

*A device that provides us with objective criteria for IOL selection is going to be really helpful,” he said. For instance, he noticed during the Vivior study that everyone underestimates the amount of time spent for near vision. *

• Posted

Interesting technology. Sounds like that could come at quite a cost. With the millions of surgeries they do and for Canada long wait times as it is wonder if they'd make that available under national healthcare. What's really needed is ability to tweak the power once IOL is implanted.

• Posted

Hey Janus thanks for sharing this new tidbit. I love the paragraph that starts out blaming patients but then admits that docs don't listen well either!

This is an interesting idea and it will be neat to see how it pans out. It does seem like a good use of available technology: sensors, etc.

And, I can say that part of my difficulty has been that what I am living right now (when I need to operate on my cataracts) is not necessarily what I will be living always. As in, I'm particularly NOT active right now, living rurally in a dark small settlement place and spending too much time on a computer. But I need to have the ability to sail, be urban, go to theater, fix mechanical things, play leisure sports, scuba dive, cycle day or night, etc... so I have to anticipate my full needs even though I might not be using all of them right now.

It makes sense to me that most industrialized folks (i.e. us) live at intermediate and near, and even so underestimate our near usage. Now that I can see far, I actually am seeing how being nearsighted was more of an overall liability...i.e. the pleasure of the far distance, of spotting a bird high in a distant tree or seeing all the way down a long straight road, makes it worth it. It's energizing.

I know that natural eye care experts encourage people to use reading glasses just for eye health, even if they don't need them, because we do too much near in desk-sitting lifestyle and our body-minds end up conforming to what we ask of them. Maybe if I'd done that through my life, I wouldn't have ended up with the mild myopia I did, which was partially ergonomic (college). Oh well.

• Posted

I read about Vivior but did not realize that they are based in the same city as me.

Regarding trifocals and EDOF IOLs, we have been to 2 of the top places here and both were not keen on multifocal IOLs. One even makes you sign extra papers if you go for such IOLs.

So it is hardly confidence inducing situation for my wife who already is afraid of multifocal IOL side effects.

• Posted

But I need to have the ability to sail, be urban, go to theater, fix mechanical things, play leisure sports, scuba dive, cycle day or night, etc... so I have to anticipate my full needs even though I might not be using all of them right now.

Why can't you do all that with glasses or contact lenses or in the future add on lenses?

• Posted

Or better still get the protein in our natural lens to behave via a pill or eye drop.

Or bionic eyes that work better than normal eyes. I guess that will come too, one day.

• Posted

I tried a couple different eye drops that on the internet have anecdotal reports of success. They may have delayed the progression of my cataract, as the second one (no drops) seems to be progressing more rapidly than the first one did. One, lanosterol, seems to have the best promise, as in dogs it did show significant benefit. That study, as I recall, began with an intraocular injection, which the human studies did not. I would totally accept an intraocular injection rather than lens replacement! Alas, it will happen after my time.

I have tropical indigenous friends who say there are plants that can help old people with cloudy vision see, instilled daily over months. But that needs more investigation of course, to see what disease within the scientific method framework they are actually treating when they treat cloudy vision.

• Posted

Sure, I guess I can, and have worn contacts since age 24, until the last 8 years when presbyopia hit. Then I went mini-monovision for a while, with 1 diopter of difference. When I tried to do 2.25 diopters difference, with my non-dominant eye being the near eye, I hated it so immediately (no depth perception driving) that I didn't give it a chance. Interestingly, when I removed the contact lens from the eye that was supposed to be the nearsighted eye, it self-corrected back to 20/20 at distance.

I do enjoy the freedom from contacts, but they are also not a big deal, you're right. I'm wearing one again now on my still-cataracted eye. Lately, however, perhaps because of all the computer work, my eyes have gotten drier, making contacts a bit less pleasant.

I think one benefit of any kind of monovision is that you will still have correctable eyes, as you noted. I'm still figuring out whether correction can be used for this multifocal eye, and how, should it be needed somewhere down the line, say, like 20 years. It's one of the questions I have standing by for my ophthalmologist.

• Posted

Then I went mini-monovision for a while, with 1 diopter of difference. When I tried to do 2.25 diopters difference,

How waa it with 1 diopter difference? I guess you went with 2.25 difference to get more near vision?

Apparently 2.25 difference is too much for most people, 1.5 diopter is the max I would have gone but then I don't know much... hmm.

• Posted

The optometrist recommended I "uncorrect" the more near-sighted eye, to get better near vision. I first tried it in the middle of a long drive, and it was awful because I suddenly had no depth perception. Maybe if I had started at a different moment...

When I ignored what the optometrist had said and switched eyes, it was just fine. Felt like basically normal vision. I don't remember using readers at that point...I am stubborn about glasses and I was only 40 so even worse then.

A couple of years later, that now contactless eye (my dominant eye) was 20/20. I stopped wearing my other contact lens to see if that eye would also return to better sight on its own. So at that point I would have had a 2.25 difference and it didn't fuss me. Maybe because I was consciously aiming to treat my vision naturally and so powered through any trouble. Mostly I noticed the poorer visual acuity reading street signs but I was familiar with the area so I got by.

That eye never improved, and my belief that it was just adjusting naturally delayed me seeing an optometrist who might have caught the cataract. Oh well.

I will say that now that I have binocular summation back since repairing one cataract, I am amazed at the vibrancy of the three-dimensionality of things. It's so rich.

• Posted

In reality not sure any one if us wants to trade near fir distance vision or vice versa. Hard to choose - like would you rather be blind or deaf when both equally valued.

• Posted

Tamarinda so currently

• You have Mulifocal IOL in which eye LE or RE?
      • Your dominant eye is LE or RE?
      • The non Multifocal IOL eye has cataract too but currently has no IOL?
    • Posted

Yes really tough for us all. Sue you are very brave, actually all of you 😃

• Posted

Tamarinda, it seems you have tried multifocal IOL and pseudo monovision via contact lenses.

None of them made you happy, so what is the plan now? I get the impression that you are a perfectionist and maybe not giving each method enough time to settle down for neuro adaption.

Then again it seems there are no easy answers 😦

• Posted

Not brave at all - lost my original access under Sue.An. My early posts will indicate how frightened I was and teal turmoil over selection of IOL. It isn't easy - I was absolutely blindsided by diagnosis. But had no choice but surgery or I'd lose my driver's lic and felt like I was going blind. To me true bravery belongs to those who have a choice and yet choose to do something for the greater good of someone else.

But your wife will get through this - I like the quote of Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh:

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

The more investigation she does and thought she puts into what she wants she'll come to terms with acceptance of things she cannot change and enjoy her life in a new way.

On my way into London from visiting family in south our train had stopped and so I crossed the platform to the underground. That couldn't go further than 2 stops. Was in such a panic as I had no clue what to do and where I was. A lovely elderly couple helped us find a way to London. a few days later we were able to pay it forward one evening as a couple approached us in one of the tube stations completely lost and we were able to help. Life is like that. Often the things we experience - even the tough ones - can be used for good and we can lend an understanding hand to another.

• Posted

Ah the London underground lol I lived there for 5 years. You get roasted down there in summer.

I met my wife there 20 years ago 😃

• Posted

LOL then you found something of value on a London tube! You must like the James Blunt song You're Beautiful.

Had a fantastic holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.