Did I Cause Irreversable Thyroid Damage With Kale?

Posted , 10 users are following.

June, 2016:

I'm a sixty-two year old white male.

For the past eight to twelve months I made and drank one or two kale smoothies per day.

I thought I was doing something good for myself. Stupid me, as it turns out.

I thought I had read everything about kale, but I hadn't ever heard about goitrogenic foods.

During that time the only water I drank was 'reverse osmosis' water, to the exclusion of any other water.

Again, stupid me; I didn't know that RO water is referred to as 'hungry water', and that it leaches minerals out of anything it touches.

Now I've been diagnosed with hypothyroid. Due to my damned ignorance, it seems that I've permanently ruined my health...and my life.

My TSH has been determined to be 5.4. Standard range is supposedly 0.550 - 4.780.

My free T4 is rated as 'normal' at 1.06. Standard range is supposedly 0.89 - 1.76.

The prescribed Levothyroxine gave me chest flutter and rapid heart rate. Unsettling.

I stopped taking it after only a week, but my hypothyroid symptoms are so bad that I'm tempted to take a second chance with Levothyroxine just to get some relief.

I don't know what my options are, but none of them seem good.

One last thing: There may be auto-immune causality; I have numerous crumbling amalgam fillings, as well as a chronically inflamed knee.

I'm returning to the doctor on July 6th. I wish it were sooner.

My questions are:

Have any of you been the author of your own thyroid's demise in this way?

and...

What should I do now?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Metropolan:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease since 1987.

The thyroid can recover and given time, it may come back to normal.  Avoid Drinking smoothies and  eating fad diets all the time are not exactly the best idea.  Eat well balanced meals of Fish and lean meats and chicken.  Avoid Gluten products as the gluten can bother the thyroid and joints in the body.

The TSH is only a snap shot of an overall picture.  Many other tests give a better picture of thyroid health such as T3 and T4 level.  FT4 and FT3 also help to show the amounts in your blood for use.  Ask the doctor to test your B12 level, B1 level, ferritin and iron levels, Levo needs Ferritin a componenet of Iron to be aove 70+ to make Levo work well. 

Levothyroxine did not work or agree with me back in 1987.  I took it for a long time but it never made my TSH come down to normal.  It gave me awful loose bowels and I was on a low dose. Many people get dizziness and fast heart rate and palpitations on Levo.  Some people can't take it. Levo must be taken on an empty stomach and you may try and split it up and take a half dose in the morning and then about 6 hours later take the other half. This helps some adjust to it. A normal thyroid makes the hormones slowly and you do not get that with the medication, so breaking it up into 2 doses can help.

I was switched to a T3/T4 combo called Liotrix  (Thyrolar) and then to NDT Armour Thyroid which was okay but T4 and my body did not get along. LOL.  So in 2009 I went onto Liothyronine (Cytomel) and I am stable now.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Are smoothies contraindicated?

I have never been keen on them and have only ever had about four in my life!

• Posted

Hello Delirious:

Once in a while is okay,  but to rely on a smoothie as a meal for a long period of time is bad.  Certain fad diets are very bad and can cause other problems with the kidneys and liver.

High sugar & fruit ones can cause high blood sugar problems if taken everyday and this will make the kidneys work harder and can have sugar come out in the urine. The urine will smell sweet or flowerly.

We need balanced diets and not extreme diets that  only use drinks as a meal.  If wanting to do just smoothies then consult a doctor or diet person.  Many people get low iron levels, B-12 problems and other vitamin problems from fad diets. 

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly.

The info is very valuable as I did not know that sugar puts extra strain on the kidneys.

• Posted

Thank you, Shelly, for explaining all of this.

I'll let you know how it goes!

• Posted

Hi Shelly, Just jumping in on your conversation quick,would you get bad withdrawals when you switch from levo to combo Liotrix.Just wondered.      Many Thanks Donna x
    • Posted

Hello Donna

I did not get bad withdrawls from switching to Liotrix (Thyrolar),  I could not convert any T4 into  T3 and  so my body was having trouble from T4 part alone.   T3 is the useable hormone the body needs to function and Levo is just T4.  In our thyroids it must convert into T3.  Some of us can't do this.

Most people can convert T4 okay, but there are many of us that can't .  Back in 1987,  no internet then, and no way of comparing notes like we can today. I thought I was an odd person.  Today we know  more about damage to the gland from autoimmune problems and nodules and cysts being reasons for not being able to convert T4 into T3.

This took many of years to figure out.  When on Levo my TSH would not come down to normal and it gave me bad side effects. My doctor switched me from one med to another in hopes of finding one that worked.  I felt like a guinea pig.

After Liotrix I went on to Armour Thyroid and that helped a lot more as it has more T3 in it.  This is made from a Pig's gland and it is very close to our human one. Also it is better absorbed.

So it took until 2009, but I am just on Liothyronine (Cytomel) now and my TSH and T3 are good.  I feel the best have ever felt.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

I have nearly been on T3 Liothyronine for a week 20mg. My levothyroxine has been dropped from 175mg to 75mg. How long in your experience will it take to make a difference. I have to have repeat bloods in 5 weeks and my levo may be increased depending on results then

Thanks

Jo

• Posted

Hello  Joanne:

It took me about 6 weeks on T3 but I was not on any T4 (Levo) since I could not convert it.  Some people can take up to 12 weeks.

I felt less sleepy and had more energy each day. If T3 is working on you the 75mcg of Levo may be enough.  Levo takes longer to work as it must convert in the thyroid gland into useable T3.  Of course T3 does not have to do that.

How are you feeling on it?  It is proper protocol to check your blood at  intervals until you are stable.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly not been on it a full week yet some days have been good and others not as good. The consultant wants bloods done after 5 weeks and has put me on a 2 month trial. Levo is very common in the Uk but not so many on T3 probably down to expense. I am hoping for miracles or at least help the pain of Fibromyalgia only time will tell. Iron is also to be done my ferritin in May was 36.6 probably why I am losing scalp hair. Think I read a post you put that it had to be 70+ for hair growth? Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    • Posted

Hi  Joanne:

Levo is touchy and requires very good Ferritin Levels above 70+. Ferritin is a component o Iron.   You will need to get a very good Multivitamin with Iron or Iron tabs to bring it up  Ask your doctor or see a vitamin shop for good ones, because it varies in the amount of Iron.   Eat spinach and Liver and some kale and kidney beans for iron rich foods.

Also Levo must be taken on an empty stomach and you must wait about 4 hours after Levo to take a vitamin.  No mixing of meds and vitamins as Levo can be blocked by food and vitamins if close together in time.

Hair:  It took mine about 6 months or so to come back.  It can take a while sadly.

Levo is much cheaper & I pay double of the cost for Liothyronine in the USA.  My body needs it so it is worth it.  It depends on what your body needs.

So get the Ferritin up.  Ferritin plays a big role in making Levo do it's job.  Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi

Try not to be too hard on yourself. How were you to know all these things? In any case there may not be any connection!

The body can heal -given a little time.

We do not know everything about the body so please hang on  in there!

• Posted

To the OP thats what also scares me as you think your doing a good thing and it harms you so my question to all is I been on thyroid meds for 17 years and the last 6 years on 150 mcg of Levo so do I have to watch kale , brocoli and almonds ect as I juice them twice a week  (kale and broc that is ) as I try to do everything in moderation and Im using light Tuna fish in spring water healthy heart 7 days a week as my protien source .

thanks for any advice !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.