Did I have a mini-stroke?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Last week, I was dealing with a pretty bad headache. For the last few months, I’ve been having headaches more frequently. I have had issues with migraines in the past but nothing too serious. This time, something felt different. I went to work and went through my day as I normally would. But the headache persisted. By the time I got off work, it was entering into migraine territory.  I cam home feeling extremely tired and I was having difficulty thinking and functioning. As I said, I’ve had migraines before , so I figured that’s what I was dealing with. But something just didn’t feel right.  While spending quality time with my wife I had an unbelievable pain around my right temple. I couldn’t breathe or speak and struggled to move my right arm up to my head. For roughly 20 minutes I could barely move or talk. My wife took me to the ER and while I was there I was still having horrible pain in my head. I could barely move my right arm and my right leg couldn’t support my weight. I had no function on the right side of my face. As hard as I tried, I could not open my right eye or the right side of my mouth. I couldn’t answer any of the questions I was asked. It felt like I was having an out of body experience. I didn’t feel like me at all. The hospital never did any tests for a stroke. They treated me for a migraine. I’ve never had a migraine like that before and I’m not sure what I experienced was a migraine. In the days since, I’ve found myself very fatigued and my right arm has been slightly weaker than usual. My hands have had issues with nerves twitching and the right side of my head has been hurting in the same area. I’m 36, so I’m concerned about more potentially worse episodes occurring. Was it just a really bad headache? Or something worse?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Definitely go to your GP and discuss your concerns and see what your doctor says.  I have migraines and always know what they are and the fact you’re questioning this suggests your instincts should be followed up on, just to rule a stroke or anything else out as worrying won’t help.

Let us know how you get on.  

• Posted

That’s what my gut feeling is telling me. Migraines don’t worry me. Whatever that was scared me. Every little headache has me worried that it could get worse. I’m not a doctor person so I wanted someone elses opinion so I wouldn’t write this off as no big deal. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
  • Posted

I would insist on a CT scan I had something very similar to what you are describing the pain was almost unbearable and I too was fobbed off as having a really bad migraine!! Was like no migraine I had ever experienced in my life and I had suffered with migraines for yonks so I too knew this was not normal anyhow after  a few visits to the doctors bearing in mind this happened early hours sat morning and I finally got a ct scan Thursday!! I had suffered an occipital stroke and was admitted straight away into hospital please go to your doctors and do whatever you have to get it properly checked out remember the squeakiest door gets oiled first I really hope it’s not the case and you have just had a terrible migraine but get it checked all the best x
    • Posted

I plan on talking to my doctor immediately to at least get checked out. Obviously my wife is really concerned. She’s convinced I had a stroke of some sort. I deal with a great deal of stress pretty much all the time and my health has declined a lot in the last year. My concern is finding out that I did have one and needing to be hospitalized. But better safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice.
    • Posted

I don’t think it’s helpful to read too much into other people’s experiences as everyone has a story to tell.  The doctor is the best person for advice.  Looking forward to hearing your follow up as it will help others.  All the best 
  • Posted

You'd be wise to go back to the ER and demand an MRI, don't want to alarm you but that sounds more than a migraine.  Going through similar problems here with funny turns so I know it's worrying......but one thing an MRI will show is whether there was an event. I read that even TIAs show up a bright dots. These don't show on CAT scans apparently. If it was a stroke then you should be given appropriate meds to decrease the chance of another. The risks are highest near to the date of the first one so I'd be looking at a visit sooner rather than later. Best of luck.

• Posted

Oh my god! Those are all classic signs of a stroke. They should have done a CT of your head. My mini-stroke was similar. I couldn't speak well and I had no use of my right arm, it just dangled. You didn't say whether your symptoms are gone, but I assume they are. Please high tail it to a doctor. There's really nothing to be done about your recent event but getting a CT will confirm a stroke and it will likely still show as long as you get it done right away. You should start taking one baby aspirin a day too. (please ask a doctor first). This can keep you from having another stroke. 

?If it were me I would have strong words with the ombudsman at the hospital. Let him/her know how poorly your case was handled.

• Posted

Hi

The first stroke has to be investigated thoroughly to know the cause of it

I had a mini stricken 3 weeks ago and doctors put me on a prevention programs to reduce the risk of getting another one

Your doctor should request an MRI on the brain to find out where is the current one and take it from there

Sorry to hear but good luck 

Joe

• Posted

Unfortunately sometimes the cause is unknown and a little guess work I had all the tests know to man but all came back clear so the only thing mine could be put down to was I had a tooth extracted on the Thursday afternoon and it probably caused a blood clot that went to my brain just darn unlucky but hey ho still here to tell the tale so onwards and upwards xx
    • Posted

They never could find a reason for my stroke and mini-stroke. After my stroke which was the first thing I had, a doctor blamed it on my smoking even though I had quit 9 years earlier. He said that my blood vessels would still be constricted even though 9 years having passed since I had a cigarette. I really don't believe him and I think he was reaching for a reason for my stroke. I am simply someone who clots very easily. I say this because I have had a DVT, a stroke and a mini stroke.

• Posted

I think you're right. I've never been offered an opinion on why mine happened. 4 neuros and several GPs and still there's no conclusion offered on what it was, let alone why. All too often they have absolutely no idea what's gone on, they don't listen and then grasp at anything to try to rationalise. That's my experience, take your pick from old age, ex-smoker for 15 years, ex-contraceptive pill taker, anxiety, not-a-stroke-at-all, exotic migraine. I do better diagnosing myself.

• Posted

Hi

I had mini stroke 4 weeks ago I went straight to hospital and the stroke unit did their job straight away 

Blood test and cholesterol and scan 

Also did an MRI and located the clot

Which travelled to the middle of my brain and stopped there 

The couldn’t confirm the actual cause it was all guessing, blood pressure, cholesterol or fat in the body ( my weight is 70k ) not over weight or stress.

I am very lucky recovering well they said it I might get a second one , 42 percent get a second one now I am very worried and I don’t go out much but I walk 2k every day

• Posted

Interesting to read that 42% repeat-stroke figure that you were quoted. I'm frightened of another one too, I guess most of us are, my life has changed as a result, not sure what to do or what not to do in case it triggers another. What the stroke man terms 'neuraglic migraines' post- stroke have led to a referral to a neuro. I've had full blown migraines for 60 years and these new ones are nothing like anything I've experienced before, painfree and terrifyingly like a stroke. Of course I googled '6 types of migraine' and read about specifically brain stem migraines and hemiplegic migraines, both of which have similar symptoms to these episodes. Just mentioning in case it add to anyone else's situation. Maybe it's wisest not to search for answers but I feel impotent and without any control and, lacking qualified opinion about what's happened to me, I am trying to look out for my interests. Empathy and best of luck to all x

• Posted

I had CT scan today and it was good. Doc said what I had likely mimicked a stroke but he wasn’t entirely sure. He said it was also possible that my migraines are taking a much more severe tone. Next step is to get in to see a neurologist. Thanks everyone so much for your advice. I sincerely appreciate it.
  • Posted

Hi Scrubby, I'm glad your CT was good, I'm assuming they couldn't find any evidence of trauma. An MRI would be wise I believe, that's what I insisted upon anyway as they're apparently more precise in showing up affected areas. Just a thought. Please see what I just wrote to Joe about different types of migraine. I would love to believe that your episode - and mine - were 'just' that, migraines. My neuro appointment is 18 May. Good luck with yours, may it be speedy and reassuring.

• Posted

I read that. I’m certainly going to look into that. My wife is still concerned and she’s not entirely convinced that I had just a migraine. She’s had them for 30 years and she’s never seen, had, or even heard of one like what I experienced. I’m going to follow up with my doctor ASAP just to be safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.