Did not attend hospital for surgery.

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi - i'm 68,  have BPH, flaccid/atonic bladder & indwelling catheter for approx. 2 years.

have had no urodynamics (ever) or blood tests etc for over a year.

i'm self-employed & under 24/7 contract to maintain a large computer IT/network.

i was booked for admission last wednesday for turp but had to confirm bed availabilty 8.30am that day.

the catheter has always worked well but for the past 9 days i have experienced severe bladder spasms with bypassing of the cathether - i was soiling my pants about 9 times a day. & had to call the DN out 3 times for a change of catheter - a urine sample confirmed UTI & i'm now taking ab's.

the bottom line - i was packed & ready to go on the morning of my admission but when i phoned at 8.30am they said they would confrm at around 11.00am.

at 4.00pm still no word & after i had soiled myself again i just told my wife i'd had enough & left the house for the rest of the day.

i now fear that i will be removed from the waiting list, am ashamed that the situation got the better of me & also that it placed my wife under unnecessary pressure.

my GP would not give me treatment for the spasms or any  sedatves - can anyone please advise.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lander,

The longer you go without addressing the problem and continuing to catheter the greater the risks of having bladder failure as well. It may be a blessing however as there are procedures other that Turp which are less invasive and have fewer side effects. I had a procedure called a Prostatic Artery Embolism (PAE) and I am delighted with the results. Look thru this forum in a discussion of PAE for my testimonials and those of others. There were also good results posted for HolEp procedure, but that requires some cutting like Turp, but less invasive. PAE involves no cutting and is truly minimally invasive with little or no side effects. I had my procedure done in U.S. At UNC, North Carolina. This is a relatively new procedure and is not available everywhere. Do some research on PAE to see if it is available anywhere near you.

• Posted

I agree Lander. I 'm a Nam vet, combat, Navy, and hospitals scare the crap out of me. 20 years Federal Fire service and 9 years as Deputy Chief in Holly Ridge NC/ Crash and Rescue.  I've seen what goes on in hospitals..therefore the scary part. Because of that, when my PSA started to climb, I started research. Prostate exams are now considered pretty useless with positive results resulting in cancer surgery, with no cancer exposed. And the opposite, no results shown on test and cancer run rampant through prostate. If you have cancer of the prostate, more than likely, age will kill you before the cancer does. However, start messing with it, biopsy or now they're saying even a finger wave might be the start of spreading what would have been perfectly stable. There's a lot of controversy about this whole thing, but as always, follow the money. Biopsies and cancer surgery are a multi-billion dollar business and surgeons don't make any money if they're not operating. Now, forgetting the cancer and just considering an enlarged prostate, if you feel like taking a chance on sexual dysfunction, permanent incontinence, have at it...let them cut away..That said, there is always those cases that just absolutely need to be resolved through surgery, but I think we're just about past that now....I pray.
  • Posted

Hi Lander,

Sorry to hear you had such a torrid time, particulalry after such a long time with a catheter. Try contacting the consultant's secretary or admissions team and explain the situation- I expect they will be sympathetic and find you an alternative date with priority. If not helpful then write to the consultant directly. From an NHS Consultant point of view, the situation is incredibly frustrating to all sides.

Clinically it sounds as though the priority is to become catheter free. There are novel treatments such as urolift and PAE, but your best chance is with TURP, or HoLEP. Despite the increased invasiveness, the majority of patients are pleased with the results. Retrograde ejaculation is almost a given, but if you are comfortable with that, then go ahead. Incontinence may occur in the short term whilst the body readjusts to normality (starting pelvic floor exercises now will help with this) http://www.baus.org.uk/Resources/BAUS/Documents/PDF%20Documents/Patient%20information/PFX_male14.pdf

The incidence of long term incontinence is 1 in a hundred.

It's difficult to state that you have an atonic bladder without urodynamics, but even if demonstrated, many men still do well with surgery, and hopefully the two years of catheter will have helped the bladder regain some tone.

Best of luck!

• Posted

thanks to ALL your repies.

i've written a pleading letter to the hospital consultant hoping he will not remove me from the waiting list.

as mentioned i was diagnosed (without tests) with a flaccid/atonic bladder.

i'm  hoping that the recent bladder spasms & bypassing of the catheter significantly (when the catheter is blocked) may indicate return of some bladder tone as pete25525 suggested.?

i have  "flip flo valves" but have never used  -  again i'm wondering if  these could be used a a rudimenary indicator that perhaps some bladder tone has returned??

GP doesn't know & the urologist is just a name on my hospital admission letter.

• Posted

Lander I would find a urologist that know what there doing.  Also where are you at.  Why are you guys dealing with a GP.  The urologist feal with everything down below.  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

hi ken - here in UK we have to use a GP to get referred to a urologist even if subsequent related problems arise
    • Posted

Hello.  I live in Orlando Florida.  I picked my own Urologist.  Ask my GP for the referral.  My GP only takes care of my High Blood Pressure and my Sugar. He has nothing to do with my bladder and my prostate.  Have a heart doctor for the heart.  I know my GP knows what is going on because he is sent everything I have not see him for 6 months Take care my friend.  To many doctoras and to many pills  Take care  Buddy  Ken
  • Posted

I reiterate that - unless I HAVE MISREAD IT - you are not in any way at fault.

It is the hospital's fault for not getting back to you.

Complain in writing marking the letter "COMPLAINT"

• Posted

hi simon - thanks for your reply - perhaps i should further clarify.

when i give up & left the house about 4.00 my  wife went to look for me.

when she returned home at around 5.30 there was a string of unidentified missed calls logged so the hospital "may" have phoned.

i hope i haven't "shot myself in the foot" & created more unnecessary stress & problems.

cheers

• Posted

Thanks Lander

I am still firmly of the opinion that you are not in any way at fault - I am 100% certain that being out when a possible phonecall at 530pm arrived is any grounds to be struck off a waiting list.

In all the hospital appointments for surgery that I have attended the patients are addmitted very early in the morning.

I reiterate that I would be tempted to complain to the hospital chief executive formally "I was waiting for surgery - you promised to call - you did not - I waited in till 430pm - please ensure that I am not missed again"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.