Did surgery cure 100% your FS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with right FS in May, but this started back in February doing chiropractic adjustments and deep tissue massage not aware of such condition. I have since had two cortisone injections and my severe pain went away, totally. In between i have been doing some physical therapy exercises at home. Significantly improved my range of motion, probably 70%. The tightness/stiffness remains, but I am able to use shoulder more now.

During my last follow up check up with Orthopedic surgeon, he recommends surgery to fast track my regaining of quality of life. This, rather than waiting it out for another 6 months or so doing the curre t therapy regimen. The proposed surgery is minimally invasive Arthroscopy removal of adhesions/releasing the capsule. Success rate is in the 90s percentile.

Anyone here who had similar surgery, totally cured from FS? Or did the condition come back after awhile?

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi piper

going to see the professor up in lincoln tomoz.

i did find the conclusion from the MRI i had done last week. in and around the page.

the radiographer has detailed tendonosis of the rotator cuff. better than hoped but still crappy.

aches like a demon again. now haunting me day and night. i have done all that was needed post operation. even took hyaluronic acid and collagen supplements to encourage the bicep tendon to recover . now got to sleep holding that pillow again.

now strapped up again with rock tape. electro Magnetic shoulder brace. using westlab salt hot baths and icing on the shoulder then when it’s really bad

hey back to square one on month 52. shoot me now.

colin

• Posted

oh colin ,its just so unfair i don't even know what to say to you.absolute nightmare scenario for you.

any progress with work giving you less physical job??

let me know what professor says

• Posted

hi piper

saw professor lee up in lincoln

MRI inconclusive, but the swelling is there. he numbed the shoulder and filled it with steroid. really filled it lol.

he started skin deep and went deeper and deeper until the ache stopped. we got to deep muscle depth with the anaesthetic

i think it has stopped aching so he went around and jabbed all the deltoid with steroid.

if he had gone deeper it would have meant yet another operation. he will not say whats wrong but there is an issue there,

i have been given 12 weeks to stop aching or its an operation. dont know what to do. dont want to know either yet as it will play on me mind.

c

• Posted

that sounds like he used a lot of steroid alright, hopefully it will work its magic and relieve the pain. 12 weeks is a long time, a lot can improve in that space of time so I think you are right to try & not overthink the situation.ill keep everything crossed for you.

• Posted

piper

spent all day fire fighting the ache. never been so bad.

each time i have picked myself up and focused on mending.

kind of losing heart here now. i have ached so much for so long 54 months since injury. its just not fair. i have done all that has been asked in post op recoveries.

believed in the cure. i just cant find a happy spot. i do put 75% down to work post recovery.

just disappointed this week having to start all over again. can see an operation on the deltoid about sept the way its going, put up with ache so long, i know whats happening. and hope it doesnt make the shoulder even more fragile.

c

• Posted

i dont blame you loosing heart, its such a rubbish situation that you are in, i really feel for you.i hope you are confiding in family and friends,take help anywhere you can and if I was you I'd be asking for a meeting with your bosses boss to see what they can do for you to take the pressure off

• Posted

hi piper

mailed the surgeon to take a look at the MRI . all his work is fine its me, well actually its work.

fire door day today. did not sleep last night of night before. last night i just rocked back and forth. even with all me gadgets i was losing.

at the moment i am very much not liked with the management. they will not respond to emails. i am a real thorn in their back side.

even though i attend every morning and give 100%. i think this is the problem. i may have to take un paid leave for a few weeks to see if i can recover. .

but then its straight back to heavy work again. going to request a OH meeting which i have asked for twice now and no response !!.

cheers for being at the end of the messaging. it means alot

c

• Posted

colin its good that you have the emails as proof of you trying to contact them and the fact that they haven't replied just shows what a rubbish company they are.Are these emails being sent to HR?. I would cc. as many people as possible in on the emails too.

you say you are thinking of going unpaid sick....could you not get a letter from Dr to say your unfit for work and get paid sick leave?

colin you have replied to many a message from me so I'm more than happy to reply to yours

Happy St Patrick's Day!

• Posted

ho bless happy st Patrick's day to ya in the emerald isle

• Posted

hi piper

mmmmm not bad. lol

the steroid kind of kicked in . i just ache so much. after all this time why am i still aching.

i honestly think i just cant get over the surgeries. still looking for the right job now.

a warning to anyone who reads this. think really carefully about having the op on the shoulder.

it is the work doing it . i am the only one in at the moment, two ops off ill ..

surgeon called me friday pm. he reviewed the MRI and could not find anything un-towards and out of place. he said it would take a year to recover fully.

i am at month 10 and not good. i need another summer in the garden.

how are you doing. hope all is well

c

• Edited

sorry to hear you still have such pain and that you are under such pressure in work- they should be covering for you not the other way around!.

I'm ok my ROM is slowly improving , I'm still a long way from being able to lift arm straight up but it is getting there, still achy and still can't sleep on that side but a lot better than a year ago pain wise.

....im 15 months with FS now, so hopefully getting closer to the end.

you deserve a summer in the garden.

• Posted

hi piper

had a meeting with the physio team. and we went through thing. this issue started around june 21.

looking back it was the same time as my arm went numb ( bicep) post operation. the swelling bruised the auxillary nerve.

the numbness lasted 8 weeks but the deltoid has been swollen since in one area. 2 and 2 together the muscle is in spasm.

thats why i still ache after all this time. i had not said anything but the surgeon muted this on friday as well and wants a neck scan.

the steroids have no effect on the ache as it is neurological not muscular

may at last have an answer when i go back to see him.

colin

ps have a great weekend

• Posted

glad that you may now have something that they can work on fixing for you Colin , really hope that this is your luck changing now, ill keep my finger's crossed for you

• Posted

just checking in Colin to see how you are doing.i hope you have had some improvement in the past few weeks

• Posted

Hi piper

same old. same old lol.

how are you keeping. getting warm and sunny at last.

just dealing with it as usual. had a hard last week . by thursday could not even string a sentence together at work. just stood aching for the day.

i found some post operation pain killers in the draw. more bias towards the codeine side, that helped a bit and having to sleep sitting up in the spare bed room.

the annoying thing is i have full movement. i cannot ask for more. that worked on the operation. its just a real dead ache. with frozen shoulder its when you move out of range it bits ya in the bum. this is relentless for some reason.

during last years recovery ( a year next week ). because i was not working the shoulder was fine to a degree but i had this niggle all the time.

i have had this since 21st june 21 when he cut the capsule away on april 5th . i am sure its nerve damage as my shoulder went numb on the deltoid for about 10 weeks. lisa has to push with her thumb into the back of the shoulder of an evening to stop it.

when we looked it up it is were the auxiliary nerve comes through the back of the shoulder in the quadrangle muscle gap

it may have been post op swelling or he did something while he was in there cutting .

the good news is i won my occupational health meeting. they sided with me and work has to accommodate around my shoulder lol.

today i am on the 4th floor doing fire doors !! . on me own. but at least i do not have to do overtime and nights as well.

i am looking for a better job, when it comes up.

colin

• Posted

when you say you won your occupational meeting what does that actually mean?.......cos you doing heavy fire doors by yourself doesn't sound good to me. I hope that your colleagues and bosses are not

being mean towards you. im sure if they were in as much pain as you they would not even turn up to work. would you consider getting signed off work for a few weeks to see if rest eases the pain at all?

the really frustrating thing is, if surgeon did make a mistake, they would never let you know....so it's like limbo land for you.

sleep sounds tough for you and the fact that you are in the spare room tells me that you are tossing and turning all night with the pain, not good.

are you doing physio or anything to relieve pain. you are probably back hooked up to your various machines & devices.

I wish I had ideas to help but I mean you are the expert on here and you know it all already.

do you hear from Michelle much?

im still not able to lift my arm straight up but id say im 80% of the way there now.Arm still aches a lot but doesn't affect my sleep except I still can't sleep on that side. Anyway we are approaching a bank holiday weekend so there's that to look forward to an extra day off work

• Posted

hi piper

how are you doing this month. hope all is well over on the emerald isle.

well i am back yet again to spires hospital lol. ya get no discount as a frequent visitor. i have organised a second opinion via a work supplied app with aviva health .

its saturday morning. i just knew i would miss me place at the coronation. and sent an " i cannot attend" to charlie. miss him lol.

i am hoping a fresh pair if hands on the shoulder may find answers.

looking back over my pain diary's and yes i have lots. me and lisa think it was wasp gate on 20th april 2021. when i flinched when it landed on me freshly operated shoulder and i tore muscles and dropped out the shoulder blade.

the deltoid was numb 5 days later !!!!. and 10 days after the deltoid started playing up. its what i have now and has never gone away.

we are holding our breaths on this. but to be honest its auxillary nerve damage. i dont think a magic injection will help my cause

will let ya know sunday

have another great bank holiday.

colin x

• Edited

i hope that 2nd opinion gives you answers and something to work with.

no bank holiday here.....is it just for the coronation maybe.i'm on my way into work.

anyhooo let me know what Doc says

(PS.....do you hear from Michelle?)

• Posted

hi piper

i talk to Michelle via whattsapp. we found each other there

i attended this morning i am gutted. he read the MRI. what i thought it said i have had (frozen shoulder) in the report.

ho no its what i am getting again. i thought after surgery i cannot get it again. HO SO WRONG.

i have started to re freeze for the second time on the left shoulder. i mean i have struggled for 4 years now with this

had the capsule cut twice. and i am starting all this all over again

he wants to re cut the capsule for the third time !!!!!.

while under and being operated on. tear the right shoulder ( MUA ). going to be a right mess .

last night had two hours sleep it ached so much.

colin

• Posted

oh no Colin, i cant believe it, i thought I had read that you never get FS in the same shoulder again....christ almighty so so sorry to hear this. I feel so bad for you that you are on this road again.i actually don't know what to say I'm actually lost for words.

• Posted

lost for words lol

i dropped me guard and threw a few "F's ". when he said it.

just whats the point of this. i have done everything and more.

the last two lines of the MRI report say .

thickening of the capsule due to possible FS.

i honestly thought they meant past tense. not now.

he just called me very unlucky. i had the full ACR in 2021. while he did the tendon he re did the capsule !!!. again ??.

now one year one day down the line its pack. IT CANNOT COME BACK AFTER TWO OPERATIONS.

but i ache like there is no tomorrow again. BUT I HAVE FULL RANGE OF MOTION STILL.

i just dont know who to believe. i am lost at the moment.

i found some 500/30 codeine to use.

going to message the surgeon who done all this. perhaps he has an idea !!.

and the best bit is while under he will MUA the right shoulder that still doesnt move. but is pain free.

hey wake the sleeping tiger why do ya.

just angry at the moment . what i have done and what i have put up with and done all that has been asked.

and yes i was very quiet last night.

c

• Posted

i read an article last year and it was "PFFS", i cannot find it now and i did read up on it.

"persistent frozen shoulder syndrome", rare but it can happen.

more of a life torture syndrome.

i have lots of questions left unanswered that i need to find out about.

and to be honest he did not really examine me properly, the MRI does not lie. or has it been interpreted wrong in the report.

but i ache badly so it may be right.

c

• Posted

I'm not surprised you cursed christ, i think i would lose my mind if it happened to me again.its so unfair for you Colin.I really hope they can help you with the night time pain cos sleep deprivation is a killer especially when you have to go to work the next day.I know its if no use to you but I'm sending all my positive thoughts your way and I hope things improve for you really soon.

• Edited

luv ya lots

taken with love thank you

it mean a lot

colin

• Posted

hi piper

had something over from me twin sister. it may be a possibility.

She has suffered with a bad back for the past five years of the blood tests they have found the she has suffered with a bad back for the past five years of the blood tests they have found the HLA-B27 gene

this has attacked her back. and had eye problems. one of the other forms it takes is attacking the connective tissue in the shoulder/s causing frozen shoulder/s.

have booked a GP for wednesday to ask for a blood test.

80% of the population carry this gene. !!!!!.

colin

• Posted

oh thats interesting....so what do you ask for in the blood test, to check for that gene?.can they do anything to treat you if you do have it?

• Posted

Hi Piper

all's good, sore but good.

no re freeze of the frozen joint, its acromium and clavicle problems. the surgeon laughed as i walked in "again". that time of year he said.

looked at the MRI on a big screen. what was noted in the report and second opinion report was past issues "yay"

he tested the joint, its all down to heavy lifting.

he has experimented with injections to try and put right the problem. if it stops aching ( 2 hours sleep last night ), its a win win.

last option is remove some bone from the acromium, thats the last option so now just sore with jabs

colin

• Posted

so......if its all down to heavy lifting is it time to push your work to give you an office job or is it time to leave altogether??

really hope your sleep improves , it really is a killer that poxy sleep deprivation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.