diet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. I'm trying to eat a healthier diet and up my fruit and veg in take. Unfortunately even just having two bits of fruit a day is really upsetting my stomach. What do you guys do to stay healthy, eating wise?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fruit is the same with my stomach too! Since getting bad I can't eat bananas for some strange reason.. I drink lots of orange juice and fine with that. Have you tried that?

I found I felt better not actually eating a really healthy diet tbh.. Our bodies are weird aren't they!? Haha.

• Posted

Unfortunately Cakey i think you have to eat what is right for you and your stomach and not necessarily the healthiest option as this may be detrimental.

You may wish to consider taking vitamin supplements that are easier on your digestive system and i find fish to be okay.

I have found fresh pineapple beneficial as it contains a natural anti-inflamatory and of course is a good source of vitamins.

Have a look at the Fodmap diet (easy to find on the internet) and that may give you some ideas of foods and fruits to avoid.

All the best,

Dak

• Posted

fruit is full of sugar although natural and acidic, with IBS if you eat fruit, pick bananas, melon, apples, all kinder on your stomach, I eat  oranges they are full of fibre, I  avoid strawberries, too acidic, nectrines, all those lovely summer fruits which we adore, arnt good for sensitive tummys, grapes are ok, dont drink acidic fruit juices at all, they rot your teeth, bad for stomach and full of sugar.  Vegetables are always better for you, more fibre and kinder on stomach.   If your having a flare up avoid all fruit for a few days, have salad and veg instead, good luck.

Debs 

• Posted

According to Monash University the fruits to avoid can be categorsied as anything with stones or pips, so peaches, plums, apricots, cherries, apples, pears, etc.

They also advice moderation with most fruit. It's the fructose that's the issue.

I find that oranges, strawberries, raspberries and melon are best. I can get away with one small banana and I've had an apple occasionally. But just a handful of cherries is too much - which is a real pain as they're my favourite!

• Posted

I'd agree with everyone above saying eat what seems right for you.  Too many people are quick to criticise or tell you what you should be eating for a healthy diet. I cannot eat wholegrains or much fruit no matter how much my doctors want me to.  I only eat white rice (its not my preference for taste its just easier on my stomach than brown rice).  

I recently discovered I have a problem with olive oil and I now only now cook with animal fats or coconut oil, I make oil free salad dressings and avoid any processed foods with the word "oil" in the ingredients (unless its coconut), it seems to have made a difference, we all know veg oils aren't great for us but olive oil is supposed to be ok? (or was the case when i was growing up, doesnt seem so much to be the case now)  perhaps it's just a family thing as I have two other relatives with the same issue, or perhaps olive oil is just as bad as the other oils afterall.  It's too early for me to know much about it as ive only just found out recently.

The only fruit i eat is banana, blueberries and raspberries, im not worried about vit c as I eat veg everyday and i believe i get enough vit c from it.  I never used to be able to eat more than half a banana but since i came off the oil I seem to tolerate it much better, I can eat white potatoes now too, which i havent been able to for years.  

Only eat what makes you feel ok, especially in the short term while you are figuring out what works and what doesnt, like LoLo says sometimes i feel better when i don't eat healthily (although that doesnt work day for day for me, sometimes its a nice surprise to eat junk food and actually feel better!)

• Posted

Hi

There are some fruits that are very acidic like apples and pears. Google fodmap and you will see what fruits are easier to digest.

Vivian

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I have been eating peaches and nectarines so that must be it. I wish I could eat them though. I'm just worried as I'm putting on weight and I don't like it.
    • Posted

Hi

Are you on any medications? Sometines they could make you gain weight. IBS sufferers normally lose weight.

Vivian

• Posted

Yeah I'm on anxiety meds but I have been on them for a while. They are making me calmer so I'm eating more rolleyes
    • Posted

I've lost weight since I started on a low Fodmap diet. A lot of fruit is high in sugar and sugar means calories.
    • Posted

But its healthy. I mean they say you shouldn't eat carbs or meat so basically I should just eat veg..... great lol.
    • Posted

Hi

I am also on anxiety meds but because of loose bowels I lost weight.

Vivian

• Posted

I went on the anxiety meds to help me eat more as I have a very bad food phobia when I'm not on them. Just annoyed at putting on the weight as I liked being a certain weight. I have bought some raspberries and blue berries now.
    • Posted

Not true; you should eat a balanced diet, so that means you need carbs and protein.
    • Posted

I'm totally with p3t3r here, carbs definitely have their place, just find the right ones in the right amount for you. I had to limit them for a while but was still able to eat white rice and sweet potato even then. don't cut them completely if you don't have to

• Posted

I hesitate to say this, but I've not seen anyone have problems with Rice. It's certainly my "go to" carb if I'm feeling a bit 'iffy'.

In yet another reverse over most dietary advice, I find that I can tolerate a couple of slices of white toast, but give me multi-grain (which taste I prefer) and it's a guaranteed pain in the gut.

But we're all different. The Monash advice is to cut out all high fodmap foods and then gradually introduce them back, one at a time, when the symptoms go away, so that you can see what the trigger foods are.

I'd add to that, that if you're still getting symptoms after going on the low fodmap diet, then try cutting out other things as well. I found that herbal teas and anything with corn (maize), especially cornflour, were also trigger foods for me.

I should also note that there are a bunch of vegetables that you are supposed to avoid, like anything in the onion family (but infused oil is fine - the bad bits are only water soluble), sprouts, savoy cabbage, broccoli (apparently 1 cup is OK) and pulses.

• Posted

Seems we are all suffering here to some greater or lesser extent, just eat what you can tolerate, and always a balanced diet, red meat if you can tolerate it, but general fish, chicken turkey, and veggie meals, and whatever Carbs suit you, I always go for wholemeal bread, and brown rice, stops me getting hungry, but if you cant tolerate just eat what you can, IBS and stomach probs, are the worst thing, Joke here wish I could loose a little weight with loose stools, but im still large, I blame the menopause, but thats a whole different story.  Peppermint oil tablets after each meal, and camomile and peppermint tea are really good, at least for me anyway, man do we suffer!!!.

Debs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.