Diet and PMR - Words of Encouragement

Posted , 24 users are following.

I just wanted to share a recent experience of mine in the hopes that it will be helpful to someone out there.   MIne is the typical PMR tale of woe - started at 15mg of Prednisone, went down and up a few times, got discouraged, suffered, cried.  Last winter I got down to 2mg and could barely walk so I went back up to 4 - cried again.   At that point I came out of denial and started to pay closer attention to my diet and was able to wean down to 2mgs.  It wasn't perfect, still had stiffness and general soreness but put up with it because I felt better later in the day.   Last month I went to visit my son who lives in Costa Rica.  Where he lives is a health retreat off the beaten track.   Because I didn't have a car, I couldn't get into town where the tiki bars and french fries were so I had no choice but to eat at the center where I had 100% organic food every day for two weeks - not one gram of sugar, zero wheat products, zero alcohol (well, okay, a beer in town one afternoon), zero coffee and zero dairy.  I also was forced to drink a jungle juice concoction that my son made me every morning containing organic tumeric extract.   By the end of the two weeks I had no symptoms at all - no stiffness, no aches anywhere, not even in the morning.  I felt amazing.   Since I've been home I've continued to be vigilant about staying with a healthy, organic diet and have been able to drop down to 1mg.   I've had three rheumatologists and not one has said a word about inflammatory foods, which is idiotic because there is absolutely a correlation!  So I'm just throwing this out there as hopefully a ray of light to anyone who is suffering and hasn't discovered yet the connection between what we eat and how it affects our bodies and aggravates this dreaded condition that we're dealing with.  It's been frustrating to feel that PMR has control of my life, but I'm pretty convinced now that I'm back in control.  As Martha Stewart would say, "And that's a GOOD thing!"

3 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That is good information Diane. I try to eat a very healthy diet. It is difficult because I am also taking warfarin to thin my blood because of blood clots (Deep Vein Thrombosis - DVT) that I had in my leg a year ago. I am on warfarin or its equivalent for the rest of my life, so foods rich in vitamin K must be avoided, especially kale and spinnach, both of which I used to eat frequently. This getting old is a tough business. I think my 70 year warranty expired last year, but I am still lifting weights, doing yoga, and golfing. I may be on the downhill side of life but I am digging in my heels. Stay active and stay well Diane.
  • Posted

What an amazing holiday !    My daughter went to Costa Rica in her gap year and helped to plant trees with WWF.       She said it is a beautiful country.   I am interested in using turmeric a bit more.   I do put a little in my homemade soups, but never know if I am using enough.   Also it is only supermarket turmeric , so possibly not good enough ? 

I hope you continue to do well back at home.

• Posted

Just add a little black pepper to your soups as well, that will boost the turmeric's properties.  I don't think any of us should be relying on one thing or another to help us out - we need a range of foods and strategies.  It's nice that something as accessible and flavourful as turmeric (and ginger!) is so good for us.
    • Posted

Thank you Anhaga.   I think I must buy some new black peppercorns, my peppermill doesnt get used enough and I cant remember when I last emptied it !  I dont know how long they last or if they go "off" .
  • Posted

I couldn't agree more on the importance of diet with PMR.  I researched the pred diet when diagnosed 7 weeks ago and went sugar free (apart from in fruit), salt free (cook from scratch), carb free, caffeine free, alcohol free and lots of water.  Spoonful of turmeric in warm milk, fresh ginger in herbal teas (anti-inflammatory). Have lost weight and have very little pain having dropped from 30mg to 25mg but slowly to avoid flares.    I split the dose and find 20mg 6am and 5mg 6pm suits me better than 17.5 and 7.5. It's trial and error.  My high blood levels have come down quickly from rather high to within the normal range and I think the diet has helped considerably.   I do not have a ranging appetite so when I want to eat something I snack on mandarins and small apples and kiwi.  I feel the only thing I can control in my life at the moment is the way I eat so its rather a hobby.   Lots of natural bio yoghut too.  Amazing experience in Costa Rica. How lucky! And so glad you feel Back in Control!
  • Posted

So glad it worked for you. I too tried the anti-inflammatory diet for three months. I did keep coffee and fat-free milk for the coffee however. I only had one cup in the AM. I tried all the other things you mentioned, except the tumeric. I couldn't feel any improvement.  I still have aches, but not like PMR. Now it's settled into specific spots. Rheumatologist says its RA now.

I even gave up the alcohol (one glass of wine a week- 3 oz.) but not coffee. 

• Posted

Mphooey, you said your Rheumy says its RA now, did they determine that via test? Do you have the markers now? 

I'm just wondering if that is what my Rheumy thinks since she is giving me DMARDS, or is she just testing it to see if it helps. But I asked if I showed RA in my test and they said no.

Thanks.

Layne

• Posted

I'm not sure which markers he's using to determine this. My CRT remains high 8.1, Sed rte low yay! It has been really high but I m taking 8 pills methotrexate weekly. Pain still around now however! He used a test called Vectra disease activity test, It claims to give a more complete measuring of 12 disease markers.
    • Posted

Oh No, so sorry.   One cup coffee can't be harmful.  Best thing the diet's doing is helping me to drop weight even though I wasn't overweight in the first place.  Am doing it to avoid pred weight gain maybe and all the other advantages  of no sugar and salt. Turmeric I love anyway and really good for you. Good luck.
  • Posted

Turmeric is very bitter so be  very careful not to use too much. 

Turmeric stains everything, even in tiny amounts;  bleach gets it out.  If you are cooking with a porous countertop like granite, be sure it is well sealed.   If you are cooking with nice clothes, cover them carefully, or wear black!

But use turmeric plus the 3 C's (cumin, coriander and cayenne) to make a fabulous curry, which is as good an anti-inflammatory recipe to make that I know of.  My Indian friends  tell me arthritis isn't known in India, and this may be a reason!

First, you must  fry the spices for a good curry. (Do not roast them- all the nice flavors disappear.) Add turmeric last because it burns quickly; add other things right away so that the turmeric only fries for an instant.

Fry 1- 2 tablespoon ground Cumin, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon ground Coriander, and maybe 3/4 to one teaspoon Cayenne or to taste.  Black pepper is also a good addition.  There are a lot of other spice options, but my "turmeric plus 3 C's" is a terrific basic recipe.  

Last, add  only 1/2  teaspoon turmeric to begin with, and quickly add lots of other stuff:  onion, garlic, grated ginger, then a pound of meat-lamb  or pork,  or  chicken,  or a cup of yellow split peas or lentils, etc.,   then water and salt.  Serve with rice and, if you have it, a yogurt dish, a "raita".

Frying spices first  isn't mandatory and I almost never do it.   I start with the other stuff,  shove it aside, and then add the spices.  You may need to add more oil at this point because all spices should be coated with it. 

• Posted

Be generous with that cumin.  It is an ancient spice from the mediterranean and Iran.  Use cumin with ancho chilis to make  a great Texas chili. it has been adopted in Mexican food. 

In my country, the USA, I can get spices at a very low cost if I go to Indian grocers.  In contrast the cost of spices at a regular grocery store is rediculous.  The only trouble with Indian grocers is that I get more spices than I can use in a year! 

• Posted

Hi Diane, what wonderful news.  I am so happy for you and thank you for posting.  Regards Pat
  • Posted

When some of you are mentioning no milk products does that include yogurt? I have been getting thrush and something called burning mouth syndrome from my high dose pred (80 mg for this GCA flare down to 30 mg since last May) and yogurt was suggested. I wish I could use tumeric but my mouth won't tolorate anything remotely spicey. I was accusing my dear husband, who does most of the cooking, of putting pepper in our food when he wasn't  I desperately need to lose weight. I can hardly walk and breathe with 55 extra pounds. I also have back and leg pain but not from my PMR but probably my osteoarthritis,stenosis or scoliosis. With such high dose pred for the GCA the PMR has been quiet for a few years. With my appetite increased by the meds I'm not sure what diet to use. I crave sweets and I have steroid diabetes like I did during my last flare.

I do have good news. The primary biliary chirrhosis liver autoimmune diagnosed six years ago is a fatty liver. I've never been a drinker. My husband used to call me the cheap date. I'm no longer on ursodiol three times a day and only one of my liver enzymes is a little elevated. None of my docs know why I have anti-mitochondrial antibodies - a marker for PBC.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.