Diet as an adjunct to PMR Treatment

Posted , 16 users are following.

For years on and off I've struggled with a plant based diet that eliminates animal fat, oil, and as much sugar as possible.  I've fallen off of it more than I've been on it, but I have stayed on it for nearly a year at a time.  Why?  Because such a diet can halt and even reverse the progress of heart disease.  See dean ornish, Caldwell esselstynn and others who have peer reviewed studies.  The science is strong, but for someone who is used to a diet worse than most westerners its a real challenge.

While I've been struggling with PMR for the last 20 months my diet and weight has suffered.  Its hard enough just getting through a day let alone  spending hours preparing various vegetarian dishes...sooo...I've had a bad diet, and increased weight.

Nevertheless, using DSNS I'm down to 5mg a day.  However, I was starting to get increased pain, feeling very sluggish and just before I was hoping to start on 4.5mg.  Feeling sore and depressed, I also realized my diet was doing myself no good, and maybe getting back on it would help me feel better in general.

So, I went back on a very low fat (10% total calories) all vegetarian diet.   Meaning no animal products, no oil, very low sugar, and no dairy.  All the good things happen that always do, clearer head, higher energy level, but here is the kicker...

My PMR pain levels went down down down in just a few days!  Suddenly I could help around the house and get some work done!  I'm going to wait 5 more days, and if this continues I'm going to start DSNS to 4.5mg.

High levels of fat and animal protein cause arterial inflamation.  Perhaps there is some sort of connection?  Sugar levels are also dropping because I've cut out all sugar treats and virtually all processed foods, which in the US always contain lots of fat, sugar, or my favorite:  lots of fat AND sugar.  Sugar appears to be either directly or indirectly atherogenic.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but my reduction in pain in a short period is profound.  My Wife would tell you that she can't believe the difference.

This is something you can try.  I recommend Dr Caldwell Esselstyn's work, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease".  Its nothing to do with PMR, but the diet within seems to have related benefits.

I'll update this discussion in another week or so.  Will I continue to feel better, or will my fortunes reverse?  Turn the page...

Mark

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mark, thanks for sharing your experience. As you know everyone is different, so don't be surprised at the response you get on this forum. I have not found that diet impacts PMR in my case. However, I did find that moderate exercise and stretching helps me thru the day.  I dont think my diet is typical western diet, since we don't eat as much meat, but I dont avoid carbs  or dairy or sweets or coffee or drinks.  But again that is my choice.  I have seen "research" on dairy or coffee or animal fat flip 180 just about every 10 years or so.  I think the results depends more on who is financing the study then what the study is about biggrin.

P.S. I think Eileen's point was that no diet is good unless you can take it for life. Most of the studies I have seen shows that people revert back to old habits within a years time.  That is why "halfway house" may work better in a long run.

• Posted

Many years ago we were all lead to believe that a high fat diet made us fat. Made sense to me. Research over the years has proven this to be wrong. When the diet of obese people has been studied it was apparent that their biggest intake was in fact carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are now the evil nemesis!

i personally believe moderation is the key to good health. We need fat. We need carbs. We also need proteins and minerals. If you eat a diet high in vegetables, moderate amounts of lean protein I believe you will nourish your body and with some exercise, avoid obesity.

i haven’t found eating too much or too little of any particular food makes a difference to my PMR. Sure, moderation may lead to a slow death...but a much more pleasant one than limiting myself to one food group or eliminating one food group. It’s not that you are dying slowly, it will just FEEL like it! Haha

And the mind is a wonderful thing...you can convince it of many things...including an improvement in pain levels! 

• Edited

Hi Mark,

Yes, I believe diet is an adjunct treatment. I have had GCA for around 2 years and have done lots of research. My diet is pretty fine tuned to me and when I go off it I have a flare or worse, I have relapsed. 

Wish you the best,

Karen

• Posted

"My diet is pretty fine tuned to me " - and THAT is the point!

• Edited

Interesting that you improved on this regimen. I'm going to suggest, however, that staying with only 10% calories from fats in the long run may not be a good idea. If you are not eating refined carbs then maybe most of your calories are coming from protein? I think a balance in the long run is a better strategy. On the other hand I confess I have no idea what the balance of my diet is. 😎

• Edited

Anhaga, it is balanced I promise you.  I didn't intend my diet to be the issue in any case.  The theme I wrote was, "Diet as an adjunct to PMR treatment."  What people read was, "Please critique my diet".

Its my own fault;  Detailing my own diet turned out to be a red rag to a bull, when in fact I intended to trigger a general discussion on diet and its relation to PMR (triggered my some apparent success), and perhaps even a discussion on whether certain types of diets can impede the start of PMR.

For instance, if I can digress to my original theme;  are there parts of the world where PMR is not seen, or at a reduced rate?  Diet or other environmental factors there would be worth knowing.  I doubt that info exists though since PMR is not widely studied.  The only thing we know for sure is that if you don't want PMR, don't be old. 

Mark

• Posted

Just suggesting that 10% calories from fat, and we are going to assume you only consume "good" fat, is not balanced.  That's all.  I do believe that severely limiting any of the three sources of our calories is probably not a good thing in the long run, the key is getting enough, but no more, calories from healthy sources.  And what a boring thread this would have been if we'd all read your post, nodded and said, good for you, and moved on!  I think there is general agreement that our diet has had effects on us, both bad and good, and I know I appreciate reading what others have done to help their PMR symptoms through diet. I really mean, help to remain symptom free as they reduce pred by eating optimum diet.

• Edited

Okay, lets keep ragging on my diet.  Yes Anhaga, the diet is balanced.  The human body needs less than 10% fat to do its work, and even Romaine lettuce has a fat content of 12%.  My diet has carbs, protein, and fat.  Does it work?  Ask the other half of the world that eats as I do every day.  You know, the half of the world that gets no heart disease.
    • Posted

" The only thing we know for sure is that if you don't want PMR, don't be old."

That may not be the case either - I think it is routinely underdiagnosed because there is this perception it is a disease of the elderly and when the same symptoms arise in a person markedly under 50 is is ascribed to a host of other causes such as depression, somaticism, "your age", fibromyalgia (where inflammatory markers are not raised) etc.

PMR is more common the further north you go in the northern hemisphere (is there a link with lack of vit D - it is often very low in autoimmune disease) and is apparently more common in populations with Scandinavian heritage - not so much genetically speaking (because those Vikings got everywhere) but actual homeland. There is a very low incidence amongst peoples originating from Africa and the sub-continent but it is found. Mind you - all such results could be skewed because in the USA for example many elderly people accept what could well be PMR as part of getting old and/or do not have adequate medical insurance to be diagnosed and treated.

Looking at a different autoimmune disease, you find that RA is very rare amongst Indian and Pakistani populations in the sub-continent - but people who move from there to the UK may develop RA which then goes into remission when they return home. That is not very likely to be a dietary effect - mostly they continue to eat their normal diet although it is possible they add in western foods. But the symptoms of many autoimune disorders are affected by weather - and a consistently cool and damp climate is not helpful.

• Posted

I have no idea where you get your figures from, but Romaine lettuce does NOT have 12% fat. It has 0.3% fat. So if that is an example of the statistics you are basing your diet on maybe you need to do some checking. 

There is not "half the world that does not have heart disease". The lowest rate of heart disease is found in Bolivian jungle dwellers. There is an article you can google "Bolivian jungle dwellers have lowest rates of heart disease ever measured" - but they have a lot of other problems. I doubt your diet bears much resemblance to theirs - they eat monkeys - which, last time I looked, are meat. 

Relatively speaking, France and Japan have very similar rates of cardiovascular disease and both pretty low at 38/100,000 for France and 30/100,000 for Japan. But the French eat a very different diet from the Japanese - with a fair amount of animal protein and dairy. Diet is not everything.

"The top five countries with the lowest rates of heart disease deaths are:

France

Australia

Switzerland

Japan

Israel"

which is quoted in an article from Healthline. I doubt your diet is typical of any of those except possibly slightly resembling Japan, though they eat a lot of fish.  If you go to a site called worldlifeexpectancy and look at their coronary heart disease stats you will find much of the EU is in the bottom 40.

There is a belief that our ancestors who are supposed to have eaten the type of diet you are on about didn't have heart disease, atherosclerosis and so on. That it is all due to the modern western-type diet. Studies done on mummies from all over the world have shown that even Oetzi and his peers had cardiovascular disease. In their 40s or so.

If you are finding your very restrictive diet is helping your PMR, that is well and good and I wish you all the best. But I don't think you should make claims about "half the world" eating a diet like that and "having no heart disease". Because it is not true. I have taken the time to check it out - others may not.

• Posted

I'd  forgotten about Switzerland having the 3rd. lowest incidence of CHD.

Fresh mountain air??

Or, (my favourite), lots of Toblerone! 

Eat, and enjoy, I say.  Don't turn diet into a stress - we have enough of that without adding more. . . . 

• Posted

Eileen,  ALL of the elderly in the US have Medicare, and in the lower incomes also have Medicade.  They can afford medical care.
    • Posted

In the 8 years i have been working with the charity and on the forums there have been many patients from the USA telling us they can't get/afford care. So please don't tell me everyone has healthcare. And that has been so until recently as you well know. Many patients - especially younger ones - DIDN'T have medical care because in the past they either earned just too much to qualify for Medicade but not enough to purchase insurance or they were unemployed.  

However what I said was that the figures are probably skewed and that is an historical item. Not anything to do with the affordable care act. 20 million gained cover because of it - but there are still people with no insurance.

"In the past, gaps in the public insurance system and lack of access to affordable private coverage left millions without health insurance. Beginning in 2014, the ACA expanded coverage to millions of previously uninsured people through the expansion of Medicaid and the establishment of Health Insurance Marketplaces. Data show substantial gains in public and private insurance coverage and historic decreases in uninsured rates under the ACA. Coverage gains were particularly large among low-income people living in states that expanded Medicaid. Still, millions of people—28.2 million in 2016— remain uninsured."

Are you going to tell me these are fake figures?

• Posted

Not fake figures. Coverage is NOT available for the poor and often what is is substandard with lengthy waits.  Have family members with no coverage and catastrophic needs. Thank you for your info...
    • Edited

I was wrong about the content of fat in Romaine lettuce.  I can't remember where I heard 12 per cent, but I'd be obliged if you wouldn't generalize every fact that I know based on Romaine lettuce.

The Tarahumara Indians have at least as low a rate of heart disease as Bolivian Jungle dwellers, since they have none at all(vegetarian diet), and although China isn't in the lowest rate of heart disease (anymore...thank you MacDonalds) in rural china where they eat a purely vegetarian diet  they have zero heart disease, and there's nearly a billion of them. The source for this is The China Study, by T Colin Campbell, which is the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted.

At Worldlifeexpectancy Australia isn't even in the top 10 lowest of heart disease, and South Korea, not on your list from healthline is shown as having the lowest overall.  One of the problems with choosing a specific country is that there can be radically different eating habits depending on where you are. People in Bejing for example are eating a higher and higher fat diet (and getting heart disease) while their poorer but healthier countrymen in rural areas eat vegetarian and do not have heart disease.

Japan does eat a lot of fish...more than anyone else in fact,  but they eat almost no dairy or oil, and little red meat or fowl...unless again you live in Tokyo where they're hitting Maconalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken in big numbers.

One of the things that Dr MacDougall found in his research in Hawaii is that 1st gen Japanese were very trim and healthy and stayed that way, but the second generation as they began eating a western (in this case American) diet began to get sicker and sicker, and by the third gen obesity was showing up in Children.

Now, lets consider that low death rate in France.  nearly 30 per 100,000 means that yearly they lose nearly 20,000 people to heart disease.   That's an entire small town.  I don't think that's such an impressive figure.

A "low" rate in France isn't as good as a zero rate in rural China, or the Tarahumara Indians, or the Papua Indians of New Guinea.

Diet matters a LOT.

• Posted

I didn't say everyone had healthcare, you said the elderly didn't and EVERYONE age 65 and older has Medicare.

• Posted

And I said and/or - the discussion was about incidence figures - and elderly people often accept PMR as "getting old" so don't seek medical care and that applies in any country. In the USA the lack of entitlement/availability of care is an additional factor. 

Do you use Medicare? Do you know how difficult it can be to find a rheumatologist who accepts Medicare? 

• Posted

U.s. Citizen here--impossible. I have sorta decent insurance, 3 1/2 month wait.   My Medicare sister in law has to wait till December to see a gp, she's quite ill, down to 87 pounds.  Scary.  They have "free" health clinics for children, you have to line up outside very early to get in because they only take so many per day. My niece has stood in the rain with very sick kids to make sure she got in. I know these remarks are off topic and not helpful but I don't want people to think adequate health care is a given in the good ole USA.  And no important any time soon.

• Posted

In these days of fake news aka bare faced lies it is important that we all correct honestly and politely on every possible occasion so don't apologise.

I'm in the UK so have no healthcare axe to grind. I have had a fortunate life and I give thanks.

• Posted

Thank you, I regretted the post as soon as I sent it...is there a delete button?  If there is, I can't find it...hugs for you 

• Posted

I don't think you need to regret it. I am aware of the real situation in many places - someone else appears not to be. You have redressed the balance as an incumbent of the situation.

• Posted

US is exceptional country, land of the extremes. Some things are exceptionally good. However, healthcare is exceptionally bad, screwed up in many unnecessary ways with putting profits before health care.  The reasons are deep in culture of individualism that will be hard to change.  You can see how there is an all out effort to roll back "Obamacare" ; they have tried it and failed more then 50 times.

• Posted

This is my final comment here: google this

"The China Study Revisited: New Analysis of Raw Data Doesn’t Support Vegetarian IdeologyHarriet Hall on July 20, 2010"

and read it with an open mind.

T Colin Cambell did what I mentioned before - he cherry picked data. You can prove most things if you choose your statistics correctly. His claims are not as cast iron as he says and there is considerable doubt to be cast on them.

Now, having presented the other, science-based side, I will shut up.

• Posted

T Colin Cambell may claim that his work is "the most comprehensive study" - but it has been commented on by other epidemiological scientists as being "cherry picked" and the figures saying exactly the opposite of what he claimed. I'm writing this in case my other post isn't approved - taken for moderation I suspect because it mentioned the study he did in China. That tells me that patient.info doesn't consider it to be reliable work and what I have read about it confirms that in my view.

I won't comment again - I just want other people to know that there is considerable dispute about this epidemiological study - as there is about Ancel Keyes low fat claims.

• Posted

I can attest to that.  In northeast US where I live it is like Ireland.  Wet, damp, cold, frequently overcast and frequent falling barometric pressure.  When the barometric pressure is falling I have increased pain with my PMR regardless of diet.  My vitamin D is low and I take one pill a week of 50,000 IU week.  I am of Irish, Scottish, English, Scandinavian heritage.  My father also had PMR.  Even the genetic testing I had done untested PMR as a possibility.  Test was HLA DR DQ class 2.  

For sure I can say that sugar exacerbates the pain of PMR and probably the inflammation.  Since I eliminated most sugar I am doing better but still have considerable pain just not as severe as before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.