Diet as an adjunct to PMR Treatment

Posted , 16 users are following.

For years on and off I've struggled with a plant based diet that eliminates animal fat, oil, and as much sugar as possible.  I've fallen off of it more than I've been on it, but I have stayed on it for nearly a year at a time.  Why?  Because such a diet can halt and even reverse the progress of heart disease.  See dean ornish, Caldwell esselstynn and others who have peer reviewed studies.  The science is strong, but for someone who is used to a diet worse than most westerners its a real challenge.

While I've been struggling with PMR for the last 20 months my diet and weight has suffered.  Its hard enough just getting through a day let alone  spending hours preparing various vegetarian dishes...sooo...I've had a bad diet, and increased weight.

Nevertheless, using DSNS I'm down to 5mg a day.  However, I was starting to get increased pain, feeling very sluggish and just before I was hoping to start on 4.5mg.  Feeling sore and depressed, I also realized my diet was doing myself no good, and maybe getting back on it would help me feel better in general.

So, I went back on a very low fat (10% total calories) all vegetarian diet.   Meaning no animal products, no oil, very low sugar, and no dairy.  All the good things happen that always do, clearer head, higher energy level, but here is the kicker...

My PMR pain levels went down down down in just a few days!  Suddenly I could help around the house and get some work done!  I'm going to wait 5 more days, and if this continues I'm going to start DSNS to 4.5mg.

High levels of fat and animal protein cause arterial inflamation.  Perhaps there is some sort of connection?  Sugar levels are also dropping because I've cut out all sugar treats and virtually all processed foods, which in the US always contain lots of fat, sugar, or my favorite:  lots of fat AND sugar.  Sugar appears to be either directly or indirectly atherogenic.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but my reduction in pain in a short period is profound.  My Wife would tell you that she can't believe the difference.

This is something you can try.  I recommend Dr Caldwell Esselstyn's work, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease".  Its nothing to do with PMR, but the diet within seems to have related benefits.

I'll update this discussion in another week or so.  Will I continue to feel better, or will my fortunes reverse?  Turn the page...

Mark

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

not to throw more fat onto the fire, but here is an article that talks about LCHF diet. SInce we cannot post links here, please google the title:

"Low-Carb, High-Fat Is What We Physicians Eat. You Should, Too".

Another study that I read explores the connection between fat and blood vessels inflammation points out that ratio between omega 3 and omega 6 fat  in a diet is more important then how much fat you eat. Apparently even vegetarians who eat only omega 6 fats are in same danger of heart attack as the one with typical western diet. Omega 6 fat causes inflammation, while omega3 has the opposite effect.

• Posted

Phew !  Now that this issue is finally clarified,  I'm heading out for a gastronomic experience encompassing the best of both the Eastern and Western diet -  Fish & Chips !!    Surely there's a  study somewhere that proves that happier people live longer. . . .  Hope so.  

• Posted

Hi Mark,

i have been trying the Forks Over Knives diet. Is that the same one you are eating and having good results?

my husband started this several years ago and it has really helped him have more energy, etc....he does not have PMR. So I have been partially trying it but with my PMR brain I just can’t come up with menus every meal. And the big problem I had with no meat is that my iron plummeted so I have had to go back in meat. I know there are ways to do this diet and keep your iron up and I hope to try that when I get off this darn prednisone and have my brain back!

i am very interested in your results on this diet and I hope you post about that with updates. 

I also want to mention that there are a wide variety of personal experiences posted on this website - I have been closely following them for about 5 years.  Many inevitably lead to further side discussions and critiques.  Please don’t be tempted to take the posts personally!  You never know what someone will suggest that can be used by others, even if they don’t post on the forum that they too have picked up a new tip!

• Posted

What is DSMS?  I'm new here so not familiar with all the initials.

• Posted

Might it be DSNS? Which is a taper plan for pred called dead slow nearly stop.
  • Posted

Hi, Mark

i absolutely believe that diet is related to PMR.  Personally, I wonder if it isn’t one if the major causative factors.  

I cannot go off all animal products (although it wouldn’t hurt my feeling because I don’t like meat) because I need them to coax my adrenals back into working as I now have Adrenal Insufficiency.

How do I do the dead slow drop down on steroids.  I’m currently on 1.5 alternating with 1.0 mg methylprednisolone with a good deal of hip pain but can’t go back up unless it’s an emergency because I keep getting superbugs.  They want me off ASAP.

Thanjs for the steer.

Jen

• Posted

Thanks for posting. I have long been familiar with Ornish's work and other more recent science concerning the benefits of a plant based diet (e.g. , the work of Greger at nutritionfacts.org). I was recently diagnosed with PMR and I plan to give a rigorous plant based diet a try as I am not keen to take prednisone or any other drug long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.