Diet for Diverticulosis with constipation plus IBS

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone out there with both IBS and Diverticulosis and a constipation sufferer.  Despite eating fibre Wholemeal bread veg fruit and porridge I still get constipation (small balls stuck together) it is only taking fybogel each morning that I think ensures I go every day.

Are there any high fibre foods which make constipation worse.    I cannot work out if anything affects the DD or the IBS possibly kidney beans but not sure.  I don't tend to eat spicy food and try to keep low fat but must admit to liking chocolate but try only to

have small amounts.  Having said all that I think anxiety plays a big part n constipation.  My anxiety is bad at the moment due to other problems.  I know everyone is different but it would nice to hear if other sufferers with constipation have any trigger foods in common.  Thanks.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Libralady

I would consider a low or free gluten diet. The best healing for our condition in my opinion and experience is cooked vegetables, especially in broth soups. My best food when feeling pressure in my lower intestines is boiled fresh beets. I also make a broth with kale, carrots and any other vegetable you may have especially leafy greens like spinach parsley or kale. Cooked veggies not raw are easier to digest. My stomach can also handle soft boiled eggs in the morning- less fat than fried. 

Stress is a major trigger for our condition and it sounds like you have that in your life. I am so sorry My Dear. Can you try taking a 30 minute walk in the am? Believe me it helps so much to get some fresh air and a little exercise. My best to you! Of course rice is always a binding force for diarrhea so throw some into your vegggies and broth. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I have often thought about a gluten free diet but my doctor says on my last routine blood test she had tested me and I am not gluten intolerant.  I have read of lots of people saying they feel better gluten free.  I keep thinking I must go out for a walk but never feel like it always tired( don't sleep well) and always worried about being in pain.  We moved 200 miles from our home town in summer 2016 and I have never really settled plus since being here both my husband I myself have been plagued with hospital visits tests and procedures.  I feel like it will never end. I am having some cbt counselling for the anxiety and I have only one more session left.  I don't feel I am making any progress with all the health problems.  Both my daughters think I should be on some medication but I really don't want to go down that path and anyway most of them seem to be contraindicated because I have glaucoma.  I could go on and on but I won't bore you.  I don't think I will eve start to feel better until I sort out the anxiety.  There are so many things making me unhappy and I miss my old nieighbours and friends and other son and daughter/grandchildren who were both only an hour from our old home.  Thanks for listening and advice on diet  The broth idea seems good might try that.  When you say raw veggies are you meaning salads as I have always love them and always put salad in sandwiches or as a side dish.  Before I had the DD diagnosed and just had the IBS I could mostly eat anything with only very short flare ups caused by constipation when having the odd spell of not enough fibre.  Wish I could go back to that.  What really brought things to a head in December was my husband having a suspected mini stroke although they are thinking now it was probably a migraine. He has to go next week for MI scan result.  Today it is clinic for prostate having been told he probably had cancer the last biopsy found nothing.  I don't wan't to go with him just the thought of going to a hospital is making me very anxious it is only 1 week since I had the gastroscopy having cancelled it once as I was too scared.   Because of the scare my husband could not drive for one month and I don't drive.  The buses were playing up round here and it made me think about what we had given up in London.  Everyone moans about London transport and it made me realise how lucky were to have grown with a great bus and train service.  Thank heavens he is back driving now.  Sorry to go on.  I have gone completely off the subject so I apologise.

• Posted

I think stress has a lot to do with it which isnt so easy to treat unfortunately. I eat lots of fibre but also need stool softner as mine are hard and lumpy l petsonally l will always need softner however well l eat.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Yes stress is so bad on your body and so hard to get a grip on.  What stool softner do you use (private message me if you can't name it).  I take fybogel with mebeverine once a day and this does at least ensure I go everyday.  Like you I think I will aways need to take it. Thanks.

• Posted

I have both IBS and DD I also take fybergel and mabevarine. I also find stress gives me the runs so my consultant told me to take half a Imodium and it works for me. I am taking cough medicine at the moment and that has caused my view to go off   Sometimes I don't know what to eat for the best. But I look in my food diary to see if I have eaten anything I should not have. Have you got a food diary? If not it's a good idea to start one   I hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Should be bowel not view lol 
  • Posted

hi. welcome to the D.D club, which seems to have two groups of thought... Constipation I agree is a (bummer ) and has to be avoided at all costs. LACTULOSE is my best friend regarding this matter. can be bought ,or your G 'P will prescribe. The object is to be one step ahead,and if I miss a morning ,I take a dose later on ,or. the next day. I tend now not to fad eat, as it takes up most of your day deciding what to eat and what not. I have suffered the pain and two perforations, so  my answer is ,to keep the bowels busy ,,by eating small meals little and often 

and I do take Acidophilus twice a day  to punch the bad bugs into submission. Stress did,, and still does now and then creep in ,when I let it. but I just get into the car and drive through Derbyshire,. You are on in a no can do that ,as you don't drive, but  walking in the garden helps as well. Suppose your neighbours are not too helpful as they are new, I also find Phoning a friend helps to cheer me up .at least you have company. I live alone. 

don't let food become your life. I eat almost everything, as after a colonoscopy ,the surgeon said,, eat as normal.Have you got a dog ??? They are great stress busters, or ,even someone else's . There is no cure for our situation, (prefer that word to ( Disease )  and constant worrying about does not help.The only thing that I do,, is strip seeds out of tomatoes, but they are all so tasteless, now I rarely buy them I do eat curry. my recipe, Another thing I now do ,is to chew everything well, Just be kind to yourself .

• Posted

When I had a bad attack last year I stopped eating most things so know when I try them they upset me. I would love to have a burger or steak but find they give me the runs. I have been tested for colitis and celiac so waiting for results. Once I get them I am hoping to start eating better   I too used to get very depressed but decided I wasn't going to let DD or IBS run my life. I know go out every day and go for pub lunch ( but careful what I eat) 

• Posted

Hi Susan,, glad you have taken control of yourself. I think we all get brain washed ,into eating nothing but slop. The thing is ,the pouches are there, and it's really Sod's Law if one gets infected, I don't eat red meat ,in saying that ,I never have Fish is my first choice, chicken a poor second, but I do have a bacon butty and thoroughly enjoy it.  I have been to T Max today, and rifled through the cosmetic troughs they all seem to have, always come out with some exotic bottle  of something. Hope your results come good, Little and often is the D,D mantra, Let us know your results , then we can all go for a pub lunch xx

• Posted

Ha Ha , I do make exceedingly good soup but very wary of pub soup ,, visions of yesterday's left over 

veggies always comes to mind .My favourite lunch time nosh is to go to Sherwood Forest Craft centre, have a dish of chips and a pot of tea rolleyes

• Posted

I am convinced stress has a lot to do with this.  I have had two flare ups in the last couple of months and I never get that many.  I am having lots of problems with my mum at the moment which is extremely stressful and I'm sure it's that which has caused my flare ups.  However, my Dr doesn't think so!

• Posted

Do you also have IBS. I used to think I was having flare ups but my DR said no it was IBS   I had a sigmoidoscopy that confirmed IBS. I would ask your DR to check if you have it.
    • Posted

Hello  Yes I agree with you.  Stress makes things worse both DD and IBS.  I know from experience being an anxiety sufferer  how it affects me.  I am trying hard to find ways to cope but it is hard.  I hope you are soon feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Susan how are you doing at the moment.  I agree with you about stress and I know you have had your fair share of it.  One thing puzzling me I did not know that IBS could be confirmed by a scope.  As you know I have IBS and Diverticulosis (thank heavens have not had an attack as yet).  My Ibs was diagnosed some 7/8 years ago by my old gp just from symptoms I was not offered any tests.  The Divertiulosis was diagnosed from a colonoscopy last year plus hemerroids but the surgeon did not say whether he thought I had IBS as well.  I just assume I still do.  I might have mentioned but a few weeks before Christmas I went to A and E with a awful cramp like pain left hand side about half way between naval and bottom of abdomen.  I thought it was wind as it had happened in the past but this time it would not go.  Anyway after blood tests and examination they concluded it was IBS spasm as there was no infection.  I felt fine apart from the pain.  I was given pain killers and buscopan.  It was much better after I left the A and E and remained a bit sore for a couple of days before going away.
    • Posted

When I had the sigmoidoscopy the DR doing it said the symptoms I had and what he didn't find made him come to the conclusion I had DD and IBS. I see the gastro consultant next week so will let you know what he says 

• Posted

Do you suffer from dyspepsia at all?  I have it at the moment ...... probably stress! sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.