Diet for lichen planus

Posted , 57 users are following.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what foods cause LP flare-ups. I'm beginning to think cheese is a problem. Any suggestions?

7 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am embarrassed to go on and on about this, but the inflammation rarely lessens and so I constantly look for information. Flossing twice a day helps.  Also swishing my mouth with water and a couple of drops of tea tree oil each time I eat something helps. I am taking arsenicum album, as many recommend. 
    • Posted

How you fibd arsenicum album? Its homoepathy treatment right ? How u find it ?
    • Posted

Hiya, you can buy in store and online from Holland & Barrett...in fact placed recent order last week and it was on offer. I control my LP by following Paleo diet but notice immediately if I stop taking this tiny little pill...it's certainly made a difference for me!
  • Posted

Do you have steroid capsules from your consultant? The squigle toothpaste really is worth trying. 
  • Posted

I have a steroid gel, but would like to avoid pharmaceuticals. I use it when it gets bad. My toothpaste (Biotene) is helpful, but I will look for Squigle as well.  Thanks so much.
  • Posted

I seem to get the blisters in my mouth whatever I eat or drink, clean my teeth, anything really. From the list of things recommneded, it seems  wheat,  sugar, fruit and vegetables and dairy all can trigger and even meat and some fish! Is there really anything else left to eat? I wonder if it is really these foods or is it just that OLP and LP just flare up and settle anyway, whatever we do. I do think we need to be careful before cutting out great food groups because of the vitamins and minerals we lose too, so would suggest if anyone is considering cutting out dairy for instance that they ask to see a dietician for advice to make sure they get a good balance. 

Am not sure life without chocolate is worth living!!

• Posted

Ha! You chocolate lovers are funny! I agree that cutting out a whole food group is not a good idea, so maybe using my head about dairy is best. I'll stick to "real" fully fatted, plain yogurt and unprocessed cheese. Today I had a snack of gluten-free bread dipped in high-quality olive oil. My mouth took it well ... for now, anyway. Thanks for your post.
    • Posted

My dentist told me to avoid any toothpastes with sodium laureal sulphate.  I now use one of the Sensodyne toothpastes that doesn't have this and I noticed the difference straightaway.

• Posted

I hear & feel you Carol00748

I have a sign hanging in my kitchen 'Love makes the world go round & Chocolate makes the trip worthwhile!'

• Posted

I have to agree... I have oral LP and I really don't think diet is a trigger . It definetly can make symptoms worse though. Chronic stress is a possible trigger for sure as it makes your body produce cortisol. It's incredibly frustrating that so little is known about LP and I don't see this changing unless the LP community explodes!

Stay away from caffeine, alcohol, citrus, crunchy food, spicy food (you prob already know the drill) , brush teeth with baking soda & take vitamins to supplement your diet.

You're certainly not alone!

• Posted

For me, its stress, I think, anxiety, worrying about something., also spicy food.   Although such is the nature of this disease, anything can triggr it off!
  • Posted

Carolyn, I think it must be certain additives in some chocolate . My lips tingle as soon as I eat certain foods. Also , there is no doubt that stress makes the symptoms worse.
  • Posted

It really is trial and error . Things can seems ok at the time but cause flare up the next day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.