Diet for lichen planus

Posted , 57 users are following.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what foods cause LP flare-ups. I'm beginning to think cheese is a problem. Any suggestions?

7 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hiya, I was diagnosed just over a year ago and have tried everything - it was pretty much all over my body, my head/face/scalp remains clear.  I still have to daily use a steroid cream on my 'lady bits/bottom' and this seems to be a permanent not matter what I try...but everywhere else on my body I have managed to control I think through diet, I have spent hours researching online and I try and follow the Paleo diet which is no wheat, no dairy, no sugar, no starch,  nothing processed.  It was really hard at first but has now become a way of life and means that I very very rarely itch or get a a new blister...My oral LP flares up occasionally but that is definitely sugar (when I take a break from the diet) and through stress (which I originally scoffed at but have seen with my own eyes my skin change when under stress)...I also take a cocktail of vitamins including the arsenicum album to make up for lost vitamins though food..but have to say on the whole it's worked...I use aqueous cream as a showergel/moisturiser...the only thing I hate now are the hideous dark marks left by the steriod cream/original LP...am seriously hoping that I'm going to be a 2 year cycle story and that in a years time will be free of this crappy disease that no-one seems to know about nor do any serious research into!
    • Posted

I have to say it was pretty fast, within a week that I noticed I had nothing new...I had literally been waking up each day with new patches...I also gave up alcohol...which was horrendous...but I gave myself 6 weeks in my head to see if I noticed a difference...and their definitely was one...however, not drinking at all is almost as miserable as having LP...I'm in my late 30s with young children with a fairly active social life..so after the kids go to bed my treat was pouring myself a wine...now I don't drink at all when I'm at home and just treat myself on the rare occasion we're out for dinner or an occasion....so it's been a pretty strict life change with eating/drinking...however it has made me be far more creative in the kitchen and its surprising that you can still eat nice food - however we've noticed that it's a more expensive way to eat - and you just have to be more organised....that handy bowl of pasta/pesto I use to cook with no time/energy is no longer!
    • Posted

You have convinced me, Fiona. At least I have no children at home and I have a helpful, understanding husband.  Thank you again.
    • Posted

Good luck, hope it works for you the way it did for me!  The other plus of course is that you will quickly see the pounds falling off...I was a curvy size 12 and lost over a stone in a half in 6 weeks which was not a good look and I looked ill (but felt great as I wasn't putting in any rubbish) and the itching stopped so I looked awful and was massively underweight but I stopped itching....I made up my calories by eating nuts (not salted ones obviously) cashews/almonds etc...sometimes up to 500 extra calories worth so to keep me at a healthy weight.  My husband was great too and didn't moan about boring dinners...and was pleased when he too lost some weight as he was eating so healthily!  Good luck, let me know how you get on!
    • Posted

Hello fiona, you are right. ..I doubt stress is another reason . Do you think wheat products such as chapati , poori and live yogurts (yeo valley ) and beer having any problem
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, How are you doing with your LP? I've been having LP for over 20 years now, but never thought of altering my diet.

Would love to hear how you are dealing with it...

Regards!

• Posted

I do not drink whatsoever so my oral LP has nothing to do with alcohol. I also do not eat red meat.

I was recently diagnosed therefore I personally have ruled these things out.

I think anything that compromises your immune system or anything done obsessively will have consequences or at the very least stress your body..,triggering a pre existing condition such as LP

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

I have LP and would love to get more information from you to control it. Can i contact you? Thanks

• Posted

I retired in December of 2012 and have been (what I consider to be) stress-free ever since.  My job required global travel, so maybe I need a little more action in my life.  Sometimes I suppose stress can be due to a life change, such as retirement.
  • Posted

Good morning fellow lp suffers. I excluded wheat/gluten 4 years ago.it did stop my o.l.p.for a time.however, I am now popping out in itchy flat topped spots all over. I undergo a humiliating "going over" with steroid cream daily......but the more we treat the more lil buggers arrive..interesting point... My mum had lp.i have lp.my daughter now has it, yet I was assured it is not hereditary. 

I do thank the doctor in max fac whe told me BROW.....barley rye oats and wheat.,which makes it easier to remember the never eat items.

so now, working on cheese,I shall give up my daily cheese on toast.

• Posted

For me it's eggs, eggplant and pepper. And as others said STRESS . And unexpectedly exercising hard caused recurrence of LP for me 

• Posted

Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I commented. I went to an osteopathic physician, who drew a lot of blood and identified several nutrient deficiencies along the way. She removed dairy, corn, eggs, alcohol (although I sometimes cheat on that), wheat, and most other grains, also most fruit and meat, from my diet. It has been a slog, but my general health is better. One thing I've realized is that cheese is a problem in our bodies, period. One other thing I've concluded is that processed foods are poisonous to our minds and bodies. Considering un-pasteurized dairy at some point, but trying to follow the diet (for the most part) for now. I began to eat some spicier foods, and guess what, the OLP began to come back. So I am back with the mouthwash twice a day and spot-treatment with fluocininide. My oral pathologist says it's better to get back on track now than wait until it's full-blown. Of course, she's right. I observe my 90-year-old mother's inability to manage even one pill/day and wonder if I could possibly keep up this regimen if I live that long!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with OLP a couple of years ago and ended up having it flare up into an oral cancer. It's exasperating that there is so little useful information available.

One thing that does seem to be helping is Lycopene, which should be purchasable without a prescription. Some research indicates that patients with OLP have a deficiency that Lycopene helps.

Spicy foods are also a no-no... which is difficult for me because I love Indian and Jamaican food. But it's not worth the hassle. I *have* seen a number of recommendation to avoid anything from the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers), which would also tie into the spicy food because it's primarily nightshade based.

Good luck to all of you!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hai I have affected with lycan planus since 2015 January and I have tried corticosteroids and subsidised a lot however I think diet and stress is the contributing factor ...still I have this problem again ...I think the nuts sea fish etc are at risk diet ...aby suggestions please help .....

gibin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.