Dieting with a TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been going to slimming world to lose weight before my op and managed to lose just over 2st. What I want to know is ,will my new knee be heavier or lighter than the original? I want to know what I can blame my weight gain on!!!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I asked my physio how much the "parts" weigh he says that it depends ! I got to hold an actual prosthesis identical to mine and boy is it heavy ! mine weighs a whole kilo more than the old one so I guess the only person who can give you a definite answer is your physio or surgeon,  however the pain meds killed my appetite for ages so I guess that evens things up,trust me though when the time comes your weight and or dress size are very far from your mind, best wishes
  • Posted

For me after two and a half weeks post op my leg feels a lot heavier although this may get better.  I feel like i have a bionic leg and the artifical part are busting at the seams but I am told this feeling will go.  I am early days after the op but it is a labourious task to get better and can be painful doing the exercises.  People are amazed by my progress even though I am impatient, but i can understand why some people can become depresses.  Some days I wish i had not had the op and others I am fine.  I was let out of hospital after less than two days and less than a  90 degree bend, so count yourselves lucky in America where they keep you in until you reach this figure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.