Different brands...different side effects???

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all 

just a quick question about something that's popped into my mind

does anyone know or have any kind of knowledge as to whether different brands of Citalopram can cause different reactions/side effects??

A friend of mine has been on Cit for around 5 months now and hasn't had ANY side effects whereas I have and am still having many!

I asked her to show me her packet and it turns out she is on a different brand to me...so it started me thinking?!

Mine are Mylan ...hers actavis 

Any thoughts please!

Pamela 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i seem to get a differant brand everytime i go to a new chemist and though i'm rather vigilant i've felt no difference between them all, except some are easy to break in half some are not!!!! I have never read the side effects label and up to now avoided any discussion of side effects as I knew it would block me using the things. I put on a rather a lot of weight on my stomach, and I am bit less clear on facts, details, timings, etc, which is nice in many ways, and the relaxed attitude means i actually focus better in many areas of my life

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Markanthony

I am just curious.....I'm only just finishing my first packet ....day 17 day 12 of 20mg....too early to be feeling better yet I know?!

its just odd how some people don't seem to have any problems and others get whacked with all sorts of rubbish effects......but hey that's life in general I suppose?!

Keep on....and on...and on..........😳

• Posted

Hi Pam

Im into my second packet, which was a different brand and I've not noticed a difference - I've had crap side effects with both lol! I'm only just over the 5 week mark. I suspect it's your anxiety lying to you Pam. Remember keep taking a step up that mountain........

• Posted

You make me smile Elizabeth 😜

i suppose I'm just grasping at straws right now and if there is even the SLIGHTEST chance of ridding myself from these yucky side effects then I would literally do ANYTHING?!

That mountain looks mighty high right now and obscured by dark clouds!

xxxx

• Posted

In the thread, 'Coming off Citalopram' someone said that she could only take a certain make.  Look back 2  or 3 months to read her posts.  Interesting!
    • Posted

Hi Ms Mac

found the posts.....ummmm....does make you wonder??!!

Only just finished my first pack....they are 10mg that I have been told after the first week to up to taking two a day 20mg

I do think my side effects are pretty standard from what I've been reading but it does make you wonder how some like my friend get away with none at all....is it a brand thing...or just luck?

Do I stick with the ones I've got and hope my symptoms ease or try another pharmacy...the one my friend uses...for my next prescription pick up which will be for 20mg tabs.....oh my...what to do?! 😳

going to see the doc on Wed for my first follow up app....will ask his thoughts......bet he just says there is no difference!!

our life in their hands eh??! 

Thanks for the input x

• Posted

I would never have thought there was a difference but, apparently, it's the coating. Best to ask the pharmasist and, yes, worth going to your friend's one just to see if you feel any differently.
    • Posted

i think it's personal. i had no discerable side effects at all really, apart from some weight gain, and a slight sense of not being fully with my eye on the ball every second, which i think was not a side effect, but a desired effect!

• Posted

Ok....well me being me 😕......I've done some research on this subject and it would appear that MANY people DO feel like they have reacted differently to different brands...in all drugs not just Cit !

It seems to be something to do with the non medication ingredients that are used...coating/fillers.

The only other AD I have had before is Dosulepin and they were Teva brand and I had no adverse reaction to them......so.......I looked if they do Cit and found them and compared the list. Many were the same but there were a few differences.

I now feel that my next script I would like to give the Teva brand a try.....I figure that even if there's no difference I don't see how it can be worse??

on my head be it I suppose 😳

We will see ..........once I get something in my head I'm like a dog with a bone!! 😜

• Posted

Hi Pamela, 

I have been on three different types of CIT from the same pharmacy. Im at 3 months. I still went through all the usual side effects however they have nearly all subsided. The tablets looked the same and I didnt notice or feel any differences from each brand. My GP did say that you may or may not have side effects. I guess your friend is one of the lucky onessmile

Take care

Regards

Marcel 

• Posted

Definitely for me, I can only tolerate the brand name drug (Cipramil) The generics for some reason do not work, I think they use different fillers and my brain doesn't seem to like them.
    • Posted

That's what the pharmasist told someone; I would never have thought that could happen.
    • Posted

It's an interesting one don't you think?

It would be interesting to compare from people without side effects what brand they had?!

Your probably right Marcel ......some people are lucky or have a higher tolerance level.....but I'm still not totally convinced that it has nothing to do with different brands 😕

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

It is an interesting one. To be honest I never really thought about the brand when I first started taking Cit, might also do some research on this smile

• Posted

Well been with my friend today ......and she informs me she has had at least 3 different brands from different pharmacies ......so that sort of blows my theory out of the water I suppose? 

Guess she's just one of the lucky ones .....******JEALOUS!******* 

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Im jealous too sad Especially after all the Side effects & s@#t I went through!!

• Posted

I went to the Docs last eve for my first follow up app for the Cit 

He's a lovely chap and very patient and understanding (I'm a relatively new patient....moved to the area 12 months ago) and very easy to talk to 😊

I told him all my woes.....shaking crying nausea....but he says side effects are very rare from Cit 😕😳...mmmmm??!

Anyway he has put me on propranolol for the shaking says that's the best med for that...so hopefully that will stop it!

im on day 20 now ....15 of 20mg and without wanting to tempt fate I THINK I'm just starting to feel more positive....hers hoping it continues

We will get there.....kicking and screaming if necessary ...ha!

Heres to positivity!!!

Pamela x

• Posted

PS.....I DID get a different brand .....one I've had before on my first AD that I had no adverse effects from.....I still want to see if there IS anything in my theory...stubborn or what?!! ....or just cuckoo!!!😜
    • Posted

Hi Pamela,

Glad all went well with your GP. My GP did say I may not experience side effects but unfortunately I didsad

anyway

How is your shaking? Have the meds helped at all?

Its great that you are feeling positive, it will only get better from here.

Hang in there you are doing great smile

To positivity, happy days!!

Take care

Marcel x

PS haha, you could be right about different brands, hope you find something, good luck smile

• Posted

Hi Marcel

nice to hear from you 😊

Well it's day 23 ........18 of 20mg and I am def getting more positive and feeling more hopeful 👍 ....hope I'm not tempting fate 🙏

hows things with you?

The Propanolol is helping with the shaking which in itself makes me calmer just to ease that physical horrid feeling.

Ive always shook .....shaky hands...it's a bit of a family joke...dad,brother and me ...but this is very different it's all my body quivering inside and out and it's an alarming feeling!!

I haven't cried now for 4 days ***PROUD***!!!

'Pamela' is fighting her way back .......YEAH !!! 

Take care Marcel and let me know how you're progressing!

WISHING EVERYONE ON HERE WELL 

Pamela x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.