Different symptoms not sure if related.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have diverticular and have noticed over last week or so have constipation, it is usually the other way round.  Am going but not clearing (sorry) and have pain in left handside below rib, just above belly button in centre and sometimes, not so often pain in right handside.  Stinging, burning and sharp pains.  What was weird today is that where my trousers go around waist, female, so not on hips, it felt like something was there pressing behind my belly button, when I was washing hands and lent against sink it was sore in that area.  Does anyone else suffer with pains in this area or is it something else. 

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you ever had diverticulitis and was in antibiotics ? Do you drink fiber drink daily and take probiotics? Just sounds like trapped gas and constipation could be making it worse
    • Posted

Hi, I think antibiotics may be the cause of this as they do not agree with me.  But not had them since December so a bit late to be causing problems.  I do suffer with diverticulitis but the symptoms are different than my normal flare up. I drank fybogel for a few days and it has been since then that I have been constipated.
  • Posted

Hi, it probably has something to do with the Fybogel.
    • Posted

Hi, I think you are right come to think of it this happened last time I took them but as I only took one not so bad.  Thanks
  • Posted

Hi it will most certainly be the fibre gel same thing happened to me with that. It can block you right up and cause all sorts of problems. I had to stop taking it and my consultant said that it does not agree with everyone and can cause blockages. I know take Movical which is a stool softner which is gentle.
    • Posted

I didnt know metamucil could cause constipation and a blockage I been taking it twice a day! Is all we need is a stool softner? 
    • Posted

Hi I mentioned to lyn above that I seem to remember this happening last time, which is weird as I have taken them on and off for years.  I took a stool softener this afternoon so hopefully that will help.  I was just concerned as the pains are above belly button in middle of stomach so was not sure constipation would be there, but depends where it is blocked I expect.  Take care
    • Posted

Hi, neither did I until today, I thought they had the opposite effect but will stop them for a while and see what happens.
    • Posted

Hi all, I take Fybogel twice a day and it's great for me but you do need to drink lots of water otherwise it does no good as it draws water from your bowel to work .

• Posted

Hi, I have taken it on and off for years and never had a problem, but seems odd that this has happened a couple of times now.  It is so frustrating feeling so uncomfortable all the time. I am upping my water intake to hopefully move things along (sorry).  Take care
    • Posted

How many glasses of water should we be drinking a day if taking fybogel, I drink to much tea I think not keen on water I must say
    • Posted

Unfortunately if you don't drink enough water the fibre will be just expand cause bloating. The water definitely pushes in thru nicely. This is just my experience I had to force myself to drink water. It's frustrating because I need the loo all the time 😩

• Posted

I was told not to drink tea well decaf tea I can, have said NO caffiene or chocolate is your tea decafe?
    • Posted

I have found out for diverticulitis you should be drinking eight

8oz glasses of water per a day

Well that was an eye opener

It soften stool stop bloating and fibogel needs it to work

Bang go my cuppa

• Posted

Wonder if the water can help flush out infection ?  You say that much water helps soften the stool?  Can the Metamucil cause any dirreah ? 
    • Posted

Surely, the water in tea must count as fluid intake? I could never manage 8 glasses a day!
    • Posted

Crosado8 the Metamucil helps mild diarrhea and comstipation. I take it twice per day 2 teaspoons in 12 ounces of water and chug it down swiftly. It does absorb water which makes your bowels pass soft stools and gets all waste out of your colon. Remember the goal is to keep all waste out and that product helps speed up the processing in most efficient manner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.