Different symptoms not sure if related.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I have diverticular and have noticed over last week or so have constipation, it is usually the other way round.  Am going but not clearing (sorry) and have pain in left handside below rib, just above belly button in centre and sometimes, not so often pain in right handside.  Stinging, burning and sharp pains.  What was weird today is that where my trousers go around waist, female, so not on hips, it felt like something was there pressing behind my belly button, when I was washing hands and lent against sink it was sore in that area.  Does anyone else suffer with pains in this area or is it something else. 

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

Pain could be caused by the diverticula  and exacerbated by the constipation.  As mentioned by other members,it is very important to drink lots of water. I now drink at least 1.5L. 

I suffered with severe pain after Christmas and it was mainly left side but radiated to the centre as well. My colon did not empty fully with stimulant laxatives. After severe pain and constipation I was advised by many posts recommending 

psyllium husk. (This is similar to Metamucil)  A lovely lady Felinia advised. The first few days I was severely bloated even in more pain. I reduced my dose and persisted and increased my water intake.

I also decided to take probiotics and other stuff I saw on Health span UK.

Now, after  2 weeks of eating healthier and most importantly fibre everyday. My pain is reduced almost disappeared. 

The fibre & water has been my lifesaver. Bulky stool,empty colon reduced pain. 

Hope that helps. 

• Posted

Can you share the fiber foods you eat everyday?  I have no upper teeth should I puree mine?  Will the fiber help clean out the infection too after you off antibotics? Like clean out those pockets completely or are the shaped a way in the colon where they can't be cleaned out seems like it would be hard to clear the shapes I seen in pictures.

• Posted

Hi if I was you maybe fruit and vegtable smoothies would be ideal with your teeth problems. Be very careful with fiber gel unless you drink plenty of water
    • Posted

HI thanks for your reply.  Glad you are feeling better, the pain is so worrying as it seems to move around and then you start thinking it is something more sinister, in my case pancreatic cancer, that is me just being a drama queen.  I am taking pro-biotics and drinking tons of water, which means loads of trips to the loo, but better than this pain.  I have started to feel a bit better this morning after taking a stool softener but still a few days of being uncomfortable to come I think before things settle.  Take care
    • Posted

I understand I felt the same way and made an appt with the GP. I had a 3week appt date which is coming up next week. At first the pain comes and goes it's intermittent relief of a toilet (poo trip) but then it started again. ESP at night it appeared more intense. I decided to omit the analgesia so that I could keep check on the intensity of the pain.

I was also checking for loss of weight, paleness and blood in the stool. None of these. Pancreatic signs are usually back pain as well and total loss of appetite.

It's so tricky because the symptoms can disguise other diseases but keep an eye on it. I was worried because my pain appeared more intense than before and also lasted a longer period 3weeks. I realised that it was worse with constipation and not fully emptying my bowels.

If you worried make an appt at the GP but give yourself time to get the constipation under control as well as diet (re triggers) mine is pizza and bread. I would highly recommend a good fibre. Sadly wine 🍷 had to be stopped at least for now. I hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi, I am really struggling with what to eat, as everything seems ok, in that I really enjoy it so not real loss of appetite, until after I have eaten it when the stinging starts so not sure what particularly triggers it, luckily I am not a great drinker so do tend to live on water plus a couple of coffee's a day.  I am getting the odd back pain but nothing sinister.  I have been particularly bad today with blood in stool but bright red which is not a worry, just hard stools probably.  I am beginning to think that I might has gastritis/ulcer which is causing all this as the pain is really stingy like someone is stabbing me inside rather than a griping sort of bowel pain. Does  Hope you get on ok at GP's, I will have to go if this keeps up. Does your pain move from left to right and sometimes stays in the middle? 

• Posted

Yes to both, I had a colonoscopy 2 years, I thought it was a flare up but this is not the same pain as it is in a different place which is why I was worried. Thanks
    • Posted

Maybe could you then have flu or like you said it maybe gastritis any nausea?
    • Posted

Funny you say that I was thinking gastritis this morning which could be caused by anything from a hernia to ulcer to a bacteria ( treated with antibiotics) causing inflammation. Your pain sounds like gastrisis 

Gastritis usually causes a burning stinging pain after eating and is usually just above your umbilicus so not near your colon. Only an upper endoscopy gastroscopy diagnose this. A saliva test can diagnose the bacteria  if any present. I suggest you go to the GP. You may need a referral to get to the bottom of this. Don't think the worst. It could be anything from gastritis to gall stone or even a flare up. But if the pain is different and you have no choice constipation  then it's possible it could be the latter.

My pain would start almost immediately after eating it sometimes radiates from the left to the middle and I even resorted to massaging my colon. I was desperate to get rid of the pain. But not a burning pain more like an aching pain.

• Posted

To be perfectly honest Felina on the group recommended

Psyllium husk Fibre. I think this is excellent and is very similar if not the same like Metamucil. It should cause diarrhoea as it is a stool softener and not a stimulant. It bulk up my stool everyday after my morning tea I have a bowel moment.

I eat Weetabix for breakfast with a tablespoon of bran, brown rice and chicken for lunch and then vegs for included in my dinner. But sadly I don't have much fruit which I'm sure as someone mentioned is great.

The fibre drink everyday have been my lifesaver. But you must must take it with plenty of water and water afterwards. I didn't take antibiotics my GP wouldn't give me as I didn't have fever only pain. So the constipation was causing the severe pain. I suspect getting stuck in the pouches.

My pain is not completely gone. But totally under control and much much less. It has taken 2 weeks of perseverance with the fibre. Remember you can get bloating with fibre so water water after is important. One may need to adjust the amount according to individual response.

• Posted

Sorry that meant to read

The fibre will not cause diarrhoea as it's a stool bucket/softener.

• Posted

Did they check your blood for infection or do a Ct scan for diagnosis? You drink the fiber drink only once a day?
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with diverticula disease last year April after a colonscopy which I urged my Gastroenterologist to perform. Since then have had 1 major flare up with a fever treated with antibiotics. However after Christmas I've had severe pain following poor eating habits and constipation

I suspect I've had DD for many years but the dr always said severe IBS I've even gone to A&E with severe pain. Now at 42 I've I've had a diagnosis explaining the severe pain. So I have to learn to manage the disease. It's frustrating at times because I can't enjoy my pasta and pizza like I used to. I now have to wait until my symptoms settle completely. I've noticed that my flare ups are started by poor eating habits and wine. So I have to learn to eat clean and of course fibre everyday. In the past as soon as I've felt well I've returned back to poor eating and it triggers my DD.

• Posted

Yes I drink the Psyllium husk every evening.
    • Posted

Ps my diet is not perfect I do have biscuits and cake over the weekend the occasional burger. Of course everything in moderation 😁

• Posted

Antwane I appreciate your patoents with me and you taking time to reply to all my questions I am new to this journey and just recent infection. I was wondering do you drink anything with caffien in it like tea, coffee or cola? I love coffee and tea but I was told no caffiene , chocolate or carbonated drinks now I don't know if that was because of the flare up or its a life time thing now and can't have it. Do you eat oatmeal or regular beans? I took the advice on here because I dont have my upper plate yet and cooked soup with beans, brocolli, calflower, carrots and spinach and then I puree it in the blender afterwards I hope that was okay to add regular white beans . Whats the best time to take the metamucil two times a day is too much on me I think its dropping my blood sugar it does have on there also that it balances blood sugar so watch it if you take blood sugasr meds I dont take the meds but I do have low blood suga delveloped it during my pregnancies. What about padling a stabled bike is that okay?  Walking is that better? What fiber foods do you eat thats not the drink?  Thanks

• Posted

Unfortunately, I always think  of the worst scenario regarding health issues.  I always turn to 'Google' and then scare myself silly, lots of symptoms are shared by many different illnesses.  Could it be this, could it be that and then I am on high alert for any little changes.  I wish I could stop being a worrier, but diverticulitis is so unpredictable and just comes when it feels like it.

• Posted

I have never suffered from constipation, in fact since my first attack in 2014 I have always suffered from lose stools.  Confusingly ,all the comments about diverticulitis, triggers, symptoms etc are often quite different.  All we sufferers  know is that the pain is horrendous, taking antibiotics regularly is not ideal, and it has a negative inpact on our everyday life.  I pray for the day when doctors become more knowledgable about this disease. 
    • Posted

It is not a problem honestly. I believe we are all helping each other on this group because the doctors don't seem to be able to have the answers for us. I don't think DD is given the attention it deserves.

I tried taking the fibre twice a day but unfortunately it didn't agree with me. I agree it could drop your Blood glucose esp is you are on meds already. Taking it twice a day for me caused severe bloating and pain. So I take it before or after my 6pm meal at night. I believe you should take it earlier in the day as it has an effect on your blood sugar levels. You don't want to become hypo in your sleep.

I used to drink Diet Coke about 2-3cans per day and I stopped this in October. I believe that this only exacerbated my DD. I can't give up my tea and coffee. I also enjoy red bush tea or earl grey. I find the herbal teas excellent. I have about 2 cups of coffee a day.

I think that everyone will have different trigger factors.

Yes I exercise everyday sometimes a run and sometimes a brisk walk. I believe exercise is vital. It has helped me immensely even when I was in pain. It most definitely helps so the stationery bike is great. DD can make one feel depressed esp when one doesn't feel like eating salad in winter 😩

Whatever breakfast cereal I have I put some bran in it. I enjoy porridge oats and weetabix. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Yes I agree the triggers, symptoms etc are so subjective. I don't think there is enough research for this condition and many doctors dismiss DD concerns. One has to learn to manage their own condition thru trial and error. It's lifelong management.

Looking forward to getting well by the spring so I can enjoy a glass of wine or 2

• Posted

Yes one thinks the worst esp the big C. As long as you keep it under control but it can be very frustrating and the pain can be horrendous!!
    • Posted

With my panic and anxiety (bad case) I do NOT google anymore! I had so much happened since June of 2016 had female cancer scare had to have several biopies, transvaginal ultra sound , several smears tons of blood work, I thank  the Lord all was good! Then in Jan 23, 2017 I had an attck that ended me in ER which they performs a ct scan with dye , samples of urine and boiwels and more blood work like 5 tubes which showede this diverticulisis infection. I had bad constipation but I still dont know what caused my diverticulis I hear so much.
    • Posted

what is prridge? Whats is Weetabix ? Do they sell that in the states? Bran is that an instant cereal?
    • Posted

Perhaps, I am wrong but I am not giving up my wine unless it is proven conclusivly, to cause my attacks.  I used to enjoy a glass of cider or prosecco but I think gassy drinks aggravate, so I do not drink these anymore. 
    • Posted

Doctors dismiss concerns because they really do not know the answers to this condition.  They can make recommendations on diet, lifestyle etc, give us antibiotics, perform surgery but they do not have the answers to this condition yet.
    • Posted

Apologies porridge is oats and Weetabix is a cereal biscuit like fibre. I buy pure bran from my health shop and I put a tablespoon in my cereal. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you've had an awful time of it. But it's good you got an all clear, better the performed the necessary tests. 

Constipation & not enough fibre is most definitely the cause of diverticula disease. Some people have alternating diarrhoea. I look back on my history and my pain it was always triggered by severe constipationand difficulties in passing stool. Sadly the laxatives I took only made my colon "lazy" 

learning to manage the condition can be frustrating at  times as I do want to enjoy my food. 

I have found that a few days of a  soup diet,  calms my colon when I have a major flare up. 

Then I start a healthier clean eating regime (no white bread, pizza etc) with fibre and it keeps me regular pain free and no flare up. At least for now fingers crossed 

• Posted

Antwane has the formula down. Bravo live pain free just like me😁

• Posted

In America they call it the North American diet. We humans over in USA eat too much red meat and not enough fiber. Since I am guilty of that I went to surgeon after flare ups every 8 weeks and said I'm ready to get my colon ripped out. The good old Doc looked at me and said go get some Metamucil and I will see you later. I never been back and that product has kept my colon clean and all wast moves quickly through my system daily. I'm like a well oiled machine and the only downside would be I have to sit on the porcelain god a few more times per day versus the average Joe.

That's my story and I still eat some red meat and even eat popcorn and nuts without any issues.

• Posted

Crosado8 the only product that will clean you out properly is psyllium husk. Get on it right away and it will keep your infected area clean which will allow you to heal much faster.
    • Posted

Lyn get on psyllium and you will be back to normal soon.
    • Posted

Psyllium husk was recommended to me by Felinia in the group. I don't know what I would have done if I did not start taking this. 

I was expecting a miracle but by a week of taking it I started feeling better.

day 1-3 I had severe bloating & was doubting if it would work

day 4 I increased my water after taking it and wow. Day 7 I felt better.

I cannot thank her for enough the advice. 

The bowel movement is everyday and bulky. 

• Posted

Hi Crosodol,Oatmeal is the same as our porridge,its very good as a fiber food,its also good for lowering the cholesterol in our blood,you can sprinkle the Psyllium on it aswell ,Remember to drink plenty of water or dilute juice,tea and coffee are diuretic so not a good idea to drink too much of them.
    • Posted

HI I too wish I could stop worrying.  I went to see GP last night and she gave me some antibiotics after just 3 things feel a lot better and  I have eaten and managed to go to the loo properly.  At least if it goes with anti b's then I know it is nothing sinister so will keep you posted on my progress.

• Posted

Hi, I'm glad that you feel better now that you have seen your GP and taking the antibiotcs.  We worriers are our own worst enemies and I'm sure it makes matters worse, and anxiety plays havoc with the body.  Wishing you a speedy recovery and keep posting your progress.

• Posted

I didnt know we can add to oat meal because it jels and you have to drink bunch of water ...Wouldnt adding to my oatmeal like choke me?
    • Posted

My problem is it drops my blood sugar Maybe try one teaspoon in water and plus late that same day drink the prune juice. Any ideals?
    • Posted

I have been 

sprinkling it on my porridge for 3years and I have been fine ,I get my psyllium in the form of  Lepicol from Holland & Barrat but you can get it from Amazon or Health food shops, it also as probiotics included,Just google Lepicol.

• Posted

Hi, I was thinking today how much simpler life was before google, I am 57, female and live in UK and have gone through lots of different things but getting an ipad was the worst thing ever as it makes me look up every little symptom when years ago you would have just put up with them until you became so ill you had no choice but go to the docs.  I do feel better and therefore I am not googling . The fact that after a few days on anit b's the pain is virtually gone, as has the headaches and other aches which were down to anxiety, tells me I wasted my time worrying about cancer or whatever, days of feeling so anxious it made me miserable. I know my family are fed up with me going on so much, time to give up Mr Google, until the next time LOL.

• Posted

I gave up google a long time ago my anxiety and panic is to chronic for that! Rememeber Mr. Google is NOT  A  Doctor nor has a phd :-) it's feed info from everywhere! Mr. Google is just a search engine driven by meta tags and keywords :-) hope this helps!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.