Dilating - how to do it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have finally had my first try-out with the Femmax dilating kit. It wasn´t as bad as I expected. All sizes worked quite well with lots of vaseline, except the largest one which I guess is supposed to be the size of an average penis. I´m sorry for being so detailed and I hope noone is offended. The largest dilator caused me quite some pain, not unbearable but still problematic (excactly like it felt having intercourse which was years ago now). Today, the day after dilating, I am a bit sore but it is quite okej. Can anyone give me some advice how to go on? Should I wait until the soreness fades away before the next dilating or should I go on smoothly every evening? Do you recommend to continue with clobetasol once a day during the dilating treatment (even if I am sore)? My dermatologist doesn´t want me to go through Fenton´s procedure since she is afraid it will cause a flare up and more scarring. I am not sure, since my scarring is quite resistant and I think it will be difficult with only dilators but I will give it a try.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It sounds awful! I would not contemplate it. Have you been told to do that?
  • Posted

Yes, this is a recommended procedure from the clinic. Besides seeing a dermatologist, I visit a midwife specializing in sexual problems due to disease. But I agree, it is not an activity I am looking forward to, which is one reason I didn´t do anything for years. sad
  • Posted

I have come to the conclusion that I probably need one additional size that is not included in the Femmax kit. So I just ordered one more dilating kit from another company. Hopefully, it is worth the money... But I still appreciate all comments how to proceed in the best way.
  • Posted

It sounds like your on the right track.  When you use the dilator make sure your butt is elevated so that you aren't going in in a downward angular  motion, as personally  I have found this to be  painful, I suspect this is due to the fact that some women with LS have what appears to be a band of skin stretching across the very bottom area of the entrance to their vagina, (immediately after the perineum) I am sure it has a name, but I have no idea what it is called, but it hurts like blazes, and so I found raising my butt on a hard surface and taking the dilator in a head on straight line almost painless, and actually I have had sex recently trying this with surprisingly good results.  
  • Posted

Ullis,  doing the dilating doesn't give results in a few tries and a gently approach proves worthwhile.

I have started with the smaller sizes at first and use fluid coconut oil for lubrication.  Use the size that feels comfortable.  Over time you will notice that a bigger size will fit.  (And put something underneath you to catch the oil.)  

I'm doing this procedure every day.  Gradually things have improved considerably and now I am able to be intimate with my husband again.  

Any further questions - feel free to ask.

• Posted

Thank you very much for feed-back and advice. Patience is not my best personal quality unfortunately sad . But I think my first try-out was a bit too much and that a more gentle procedure is necessary. Otherwise, I guess new tearing might cause more scarring, besides being painful. Hanny, it is very inspiring to hear what you have accomplished. And Guppy, I understand what you mean and I agree. In my case, it is though difficult since my urethra is also inflamed and I must try to avoid too much pressure in that direction as well. The straight line seems to be optimal. I´m glad it has worked out well for you. Now, I am waiting for my new order since I think the other company has the optimal size for me to start with.
    • Posted

Hi Ullis,

I've recently started using dilators to help with the tightness and make intercourse more comfortable. I'm using the next size up from the smallest size. I'm seeing a pelvic physiotherapist. I also have LS on my urethra and definitely feel irritated, almost like I have to urinate constantly after intercourse and the friction that causes. How is your doctor treating the inflamed urethra? I just carefully rub some steroid ointment around the the utethra. I honestly don't think it's doing anything.

• Posted

I would try also coconut oil and/or emu oil.  They are healers.  I may eventually turn into a coconut myself (ha), but without it I won't be doing so well.
    • Posted

They did more or less give up on treating my urethral problems. Previously, they tried to widen it and flush it with silver chloride solution but it was only making things worse. I have had problems with urgency but it is nowadays better. I think it can be due to that I am on antidepressant drug treatment since several years. But I have some serious pain now and then. sad
    • Posted

I will give coconut oil a chance. I love the smell. smile
    • Posted

It could also be that you are in need of magnesium.  Made a big difference for me in overall well being as well.
    • Posted

I agree that Vitamin supplements are important. Vitamin D is another very  important vitamin, it boosts  the immune system, and anyone with auto immune disorders should really be taking this vitamin.  Also Curcumin  (Turmeric) is worth considering, It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and is a very strong antioxidant, also it helps with depression, you can buy it in capsules now, if you Google both of these you may find it very interesting.
    • Posted

Be careful using tumeric if you have gallstones. It can make them worse.
  • Posted

Thank you for all advice - I will use my lunchbreak to buy Magnesium and Vitamin D. It can only do me good. My urethra is sore since my first dilating procedure, so I feel a bit low at the moment. 
    • Posted

That is very well possible that your urethra is sore.  Most likely there are also small fusions in that area.  I have the same experience.  Later it passes and as more fusing disappeared due to baking soda and coconut oil treatment there was less discomfort and pain. Just don't force it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.