Disappointed - now due for second THR in Aug/Sept

Posted , 11 users are following.

I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself and could do with some fairy hugs!

To recap - I had a surprise diagnosis of severe osteoarthritis last year, leading to a THR on my right hip in June 2016.  Though my surgeon indicated at the time that my left hip would also need replacing fairly soon, I had hoped that it would be at some point in the future, preferably in the far distant future.

During my 6 month follow up in December, my surgeon suggested that the second op should be scheduled for early 2017, but I felt that I couldn’t cope with another operation so soon after the first one and decided to delay making the decision for a further 6 months, which took me to last Wednesday and another meeting with my surgeon.

I have reluctantly accepted that I have got to have my left hip done this year and have been given a waiting time of 2 to 3 months (pretty good for the NHS).

There is also the other issue – now I know (sort of) what to expect.  I am absolutely dreading the first 2 weeks at home – it was a nightmare last time! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

Now, I know I’m being daft, but I just wish that there was another option…….

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had hip replacement in January for 3 months had infection then fixed in April sat down total hip dilated it's self they operated 2 days later , 2 days after that it dispaced again 2 days later another op 10 days on traction bed sores after dicharge followed by 3 months wearing a brace I'm 6 weeks in went to clinic he was on holiday leg infected bad rash but van only take of at night now back on during day for 6 more weeks left knees now give out so I need a review knee as it's false anyway in pain all the time I need help

• Posted

Gosh Jane that sounds truly terrible. I hope your hip is better now - I do hope you are getting there. Stay strong. 
  • Posted

Hey All

I don"t know if you remember me l am one of the oldies from back at Fern and Rose anf of course Renee's time. Totally understand how your feeling hun if you remember l was told l had to get both hips replaced and its ok to sulk or silk as fern put it and feel so fed up. My life has just went like the song the hip bones connected to the knee bone blah blah l won't go through the full song but the OA has went from joint to joint in past 2 years and l honestly lost the will to live.

2 hip replacements 2 knee replacements like you l put 1 of my knee ops off as l could not take more surgery and l think to punish me for that someone decided l should get it in my ankles. So for 2 years l have either being having ops or recovering its been the worst 2 years of my life......infact it is my life now. I cant work now l cant drive as l am wearing a moonboot which l have had on following ankle surgery 3 months ago. And l have fell so many times. I am only 44 l feel so mortified falling. I hate what OA has done to me. So l get you chloe . So many times l have got so frustrated at not being able to walk or falling over things and screamed and cried why me what did l do so wrong. I have never abused my body l am not carrying anymore weight than a normal person. I have been stuck at home for 3 months. So you sulk hun as l do and l cry and feel sorry for myself. But then some days l say l am lucky at least l am alive and there is people worse than me. But its so hard to see it that way sometimes.

I dont know what l would have done without the hip forum it helped me so much as we all undestand what its like and like you as soon as l have this moonboot of my ankle which is this week my doctors going to say to me about the last joint l have left to get done and l truely can't face it just now or in the near future. But l will have to at some point.

I just wish they could have replaced my full botttom half as its all metal now. Apart from my 1 knee.

Hope you feel better to know you are not alone.

Laura

Xx

• Posted

oh dear laura, 

so sorry to hear this darling - you had/have so much to deal with - 

May I ask how  your mother is doing?

Thinking of you and continue to have you in my healing circle

bug warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

Of course you can ask about my mum. Well she went through her treatment and the doctors told her that her tumour was now just scar tissue but it did not end there she went kinda crazy and started acting weird. I can't explain it she said she had pains in her legs and could not stop moving around and would not go to her bed. She was pacing the floor we took her to hospital but they said she was fine and did not know what was wrong but she certainly was not acting like my mum she was more like a old woman with dementia. But we eventually found out that it was one of her tablets that was causing her to go off her head. But tbh Renee she has never got over it she is obssesed with being ill. Even though she has had the all clear she says she can't do anything as she has no energy and has trouble breathing. We have had her checked and doubke checked and tried diffrent things but she is not like my mum anymore. My poor dad is so stressed tying to deal with her as she gets up and cries everyday and is always depressed. We have tried anti depressants but did not help. Last week she was complaining she had a pain in her neck and shoulder so she though she had cancer again. The doctor sent her for an ultra sound and found a blood clot in her neck. But all they did was give her the injectionss you get after you get surgery to thin her blood and sent her home and she has to do injections for a while. We all nee this was going to make her anxiety worse and it did she went back into her bubble of self pity. And we have tried and tried to get through to her how lucky she is to have beat it. But she has let it take over her life. So out last hope is try her with a therapist so she had her first session yesterday so we will see how it goes. But its been very hard Renee so stressful especially with me going through more surgery and she seems to forget that l am struggling to. But thats how it is my friend. Lifes been really hard and my OA is now in every joint in my bottom half. But l can still laugh and hope that things will get better.

Hope you are ok

Laura

Xx

• Posted

Hi Laura, you really have been through the wars haven't you. Glad that you are still on the forum as you know we are all here for you (& Chloe). Sending you both big hugs xxx

• Posted

oh laura ... good news on the cancer but not so good otherwise - I hope that therapy will help her to find peace - 

embracing you both -

• Posted

Laura I think the fear she was holding in is just coming out...she needs counselling and time. Hopefully your mum will get over it. In the meantime short visits, and try and give your Dad lots of breaks.

It will get better as she feels stronger - a friend once told me she did not feel in the least bit grateful to have beaten cancer because she felt so very cross about being blighted with it in the first place, perhaps not the most spiritual view, but it was her experience. It can sometimes define people when they are really scarred by the experience. 

• Posted

Rose you have hit the nail on the head she has got such a fright getting cancer when she beat it she just could not come to terms that she has. She constantly thinks she is getting it again or has still got it she has developed extreme anxiety and to make things worse she is complaining or a sore shoulder amd kneck so we took her for an xray and she was called back as they has seen something. She right away said it must be cancer. I said wait and see. It turned out to be a blood clot on her kneck and it was not bad they sent her away with injections to thin her blood but since then obsessing over it and worse than ever.. i am going to the doctors with her tursday to see if l can get help. I have to for my dads sake.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Chloe

Sorry l did mean that message for you hun although l brought up the others name that are all the old crowd along with you. I hope you feel better honestly l know it seems like such another hassle to go through and scary again but honestly having both my hips done 8 weeks apart was the best thing l done. Yeah it was sore and hard to recover from but now l feel like l have normal hips. I went on to have my knee done and jeeze l thought the hip was bad the knee was agony. 10 x worse than the hip thats why l have been putting off getting the other one done. And then l got OA in my ankles and got my 1st ankle fusion done and again Chloe it was meant to be small keyhole surgery. Yeah that was the easy bit. I have had to wear a cast and then a moonboot for nearly 3 months. It was terrible Chloe l have been stuck in here for 3 months l can't drive l stay out in the country my husband does not drive. And trying to sleep with a boot and a big thick sock everynight has been worse than any of the operations l have been so down. But l am terrified of getting the other knee op. So l know how you feel xx

• Posted

I'm going in for my second hip tomorrow, almost one year exactly from the first. I am more anxious this go around, even though the first one went as well as I could expect.

Knowing what lies ahead is a bit nerve wracking, but we also know the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Good luck YoMike

Don't forget to let us know how you get on,

PS I've been in contact with my hospital's waiting list department and I've got a short wait - my op will be sometime in September.

• Posted

YoMike.....Wishing you all the best tomorrow, Judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.