Disappointed - now due for second THR in Aug/Sept

Posted , 11 users are following.

I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself and could do with some fairy hugs!

To recap - I had a surprise diagnosis of severe osteoarthritis last year, leading to a THR on my right hip in June 2016.  Though my surgeon indicated at the time that my left hip would also need replacing fairly soon, I had hoped that it would be at some point in the future, preferably in the far distant future.

During my 6 month follow up in December, my surgeon suggested that the second op should be scheduled for early 2017, but I felt that I couldn’t cope with another operation so soon after the first one and decided to delay making the decision for a further 6 months, which took me to last Wednesday and another meeting with my surgeon.

I have reluctantly accepted that I have got to have my left hip done this year and have been given a waiting time of 2 to 3 months (pretty good for the NHS).

There is also the other issue – now I know (sort of) what to expect.  I am absolutely dreading the first 2 weeks at home – it was a nightmare last time! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

Now, I know I’m being daft, but I just wish that there was another option…….

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

dear chloe,

awwwww..... that sucks, darling ...

I totally went bonckers when I heard that my other (left) hip needed THE surgery at my 6 weeks follow up appointment of 1st (right) THR ... there was no indication that it needed it, however cartilage went from mild to severe in 6 months time ... 

I immediately informed the forum and then found out that I was not abnormal but that this actually happens a lot ... woohoot, right? I thought I was a freak !!!

you will be on the emtional roller coaster ... from knowing what you are in for to knowing what you are in for ... 

it will be different ... 

I had posterior approach both times and to me, the 2nd time around, I definitely was less worried about the restrictions - of course they will be in place, but  I knew that it all was much stronger than I thought ... and I had 2 new hips ---  

I was in an awful pain and was actually looking forward to the surgery ... well, at times, after the hours of paniccry  ---- 

and there are advantages too, you know ... you know how to sit down on the toilet etc ...

just come here and sulk away - rant and rave ...

big warm hug

renee 

• Posted

Hi Renee

Isn't this forum wonderful - I post that I'm sulking and will have a temper tantrum too, and no one thinks I'm odd - they all say, just get on with doing whatever you need to do to deal with the situation and offer support at the same time!

How fantastic is that!

Absolutely bloody marvellous folks - thank you all so much.

• Posted

Renee you are angel you are such a nice person and all time you are so positive . Also I looking forward to have hip done ASAP

Just get rid of pain and hopefully LLD.

Big hug Madla💗💗

PS you have hard from gold

• Posted

Chloe I am really sorry you have to have the second one fixed.

I am feeling pretty much the same as you....I need another one too....I am not happy about it AT ALL. I have also been putting it off (not because I am scared, that is at one benefit, the blind terror of having the surgery has definitely gone) but because I am trying to enjoy the summer after recovering from the first one...and at least get some happiness in before the next one is due.

I was getting my life back, and now it is all going downhill again, got stranded from my car thinking I could walk further than I now can yesterday. Struggling to sleep. All the usual signs. Hip pain has been getting worse and worse......and I am not feeling especially joyful about the first week or two either after THP!! So I know how you feel, it is not so much the surgery that bothers me, although I always worry about the risk. It is the huge amount of time it takes to get properly better!!

I think we grit our teeth and do it when the moment comes. It will be ghastly, but as Renee so rightly said we know how to get on and off the loo (that is progress) we know we will be awake much of the night (so we will download lots in advance) and we definitely know that once it is fixed, that is it!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!

How exciting that we won't have to do it ever again with a little luck!! We will have two legs that work (dont you think it is interesting to compare how strong the new hip is compared to the pain and difficulty of the other one) 

• Posted

Hey Rose, how are you (apart from the other hip obviously)! I can't believe it's been a whole year since my 1st THR, where has that time gone! I've forgotten I've had surgery now & my scar has faded really well (thank goodness for coconut oil)! I really thought my surgeon would be saying the same to me when I saw him a few weeks ago but he compared my x-rays & said he hoped not to see me for a few years!

It's nice to catch up with a few old faces x

• Posted

Hey Rose Fern and Renee its nice to see you are still around. We all went through our 1st hip around same time.....well apart frim renee who was our advisor and helpful expert. How are you all? I am still living the life that just seems to get worse but surely OA will run out of joints to get eventually on me lol l can still laugh inbetween the pain but its become my life now so l am used to it. But l was so pleased to see all your names come up. The old team 😕

Laura

Xxxx

• Posted

Hi Fernlady - everyone is back on here! It is so nice to see old faces cropping up....feels like a thread of consistency!

Glad your surgery went so well, yes I am fine apart from needing another one (eyes rolling now!) and definitely can't complain. We have a heatwave and it is gorgeous here! xx

• Posted

We are the old team with Renee at the head taking care of everyone. 

How is going? Did you go back to work? Do you remember that patch when you didn't want to go out? I hope you are out enjoying life again hun x

• Posted

Hey Rose

I did go back to work but ended up getting OA in my ankle and had to have an op to fuse it so have been off again for a few months its never ending lol

I go through good and bad times after my ankle surgery l was really depressed as l was stuck at home in a moonboot. Just got it off last night but it feels weird just now lol

How you doing?

Xx

• Posted

Laura I do really feel for you, you have been through it lately. The moonboot in this heat must have been unbearable. It was 33c last night at 11pm, and we are not used to HEAT are we?!!

Was the ankle fusion a success? Hope so, and hopefully you can get out and about this summer. 

All okay here, not esp looking forward to the next THP nothing new! smile 

• Posted

Hi Rose

Well the snklr seems to have been a sucess as l am allowed moonboot of and he said the new bone hád grown over the fusion. I still have the screws in which said might start to irritate me but so far so good. Aww my god it was awful wearing it for nearly 3 months even in bed it was so heavy and warm. I never left the house as l could not wear my normal clothes and felt horrible plus l kept falling all over the place. I still have a knee replacement to get done but am trying to last as long as possible as the thought of it terrifies me as the 1st one was so painful. Its never stopped for me now there is a pain coming from.my scar from my 2nd hip replacement. Its a weird feeling sometimes it hurts a lot and its a nippy feeling yet other times l can't feel it..i am.hoping its nothing but knowing my luck it won't be. But l am just trying to get back to normal at the moment but lifes not easy as my mum has debeloped mental issues after her cancer and l am so worried about my poor dad as he is ready for a breakdown. I wish life would just give me a break for a while but it never seems to happen. So l.know how your feeling hun not looking forward to your thr. But honesty l would rather have it anyday other than the knee or 3 month of hell in a moonboot. Now l cant move my ankle the wsy it used to. I still am.on lots of pain meds and have my job to go back to soon. But l just try and think there is people worse than me and get on with life in hope l get some normality back.

Thinking of you Rose and great to speak again

Laura

Xx

• Posted

Hi Laura, I read your posts and feel so sorry for all that you're going through. I'm so pleased that you have got your moon boot off, and that the bone is growing over.

I wish you all the best, Judith

• Posted

Hi Judith

Thanks for your kind words. Its funny how much my life has changed in the matter of 3 years as before that l was living a totally normal life, working full time and enjoying walking and going 2 holidays a year everything was going fine then suddenly life hits you with loads of challanges. I had no idea l had OA at all l firstly thought l had pulled a tendon on my groin and 3 years on l have OA in every joint in my bottom half. I now have 2 new hips a new knee and the other to get done soon and then got it in my ankle and had the ankle fusion done in april. I have had to give up my managers position at work and drop my hours because l am unable to do 5 days. In the midst of that my mum got cancer and my husband fell ill with a brain virus. Tell you something l was tested to the max on how to cope. But l did and am. I just have to accept this is my life now and make the most of it.. l still can laugh and have a great husband and family. Xx

• Posted

Hi Laura, how awful that you have OA all over your bottom half, and that it happened so quickly to someone as young as you. I'm glad you have your husband and family, and that you manage to be so brave and rise above your challenges. Love Judith xx

• Posted

I can relate to your situation. I had left hip done 8 months ago and right

need to be done soon. I find out after 6 weeks follow an appointment

When I was told my right need to be done as well. I know what to expect

but still is scary. I don't know date yet . When I had 6 months follow

appointment after left one I was told maximum 3 months . It was painful last time and I hope can't be worse . You are right first 2 to 3 weeks are

tough, specially if you live by self. Sleeping on back , can't do nothing,not sleeping well,relay on friends with everything but need to be done .

You will do fine and may be will not so bad like first replecement, least we know what to expect and this forum is great they help me so much

with my first replecement and wouldn't go trough without this site.

Good luck hug Madla💗

• Posted

Hi Madia

Sometimes life is just a bitch!

Last time - oh that brings back memories......

I'm lucky, I have a hubby who took really good care of me.  

The lovely chap cooked me a meal - unfortunately it was a man-sized plate of manfood - homemade cheesy stuffed meatballs (each meatball was the size of an apple), a mound of mashed potato and peas (as the token veg).  It was beautifully cooked, and tasted lovely - it was also enough to feed a small village!

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I really fancied a small piece of chicken and salad........cheesygrin

I agree - I couldn't have gone through my first op with the support of the folks on this site.  I'm so thankful that I found it shortly after I had been given the news of the op.

• Posted

Umm typo - that should of course read '...... without the support of....'

• Posted

We will survive ,we are strong woman and hopefully will be not so painful and least we know what to expect.

We will have two new hardware and we can call our self bionic

women.

Hug Madla💗

• Posted

Hi Madla

Yes I totally agree - however - sometimes even strong bionic women need to have a sulk and throw a temper tantrum!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.