disappointed with the bend!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just received my shiny new goniometer from Amazon, and measured the bend which I had thought was around 120 . . in fact it's only just over 100 frown

so I'll have to be a bit pushier with my knee for the next few weeks. Disappointed!

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 9 wks now and didn't even have it measured when I saw the consultant he just said I can see it's at least 90°...went to first physio monday and she got the measuring thingy out and said oh its 115° which is good and not to expect much more than another 10°...not sure what we are supposed to expect as an end result...but I still can't sit up on the sofa with both knees bent I wonder of I ever will again lol
    • Posted

I can sit quite comfortably  on the sofa with both knees bent . . I think they kept on so much about that in the hsopital that I've been very careful not to let the operated leg stick out in front . .  . .and I really thought that it must be at about 120 . . Extension is better than I thought, though, at about 5 . . . 
  • Posted

try not to stress too much 90 seems to be the magic number so anything above is a bonus. Don't be too hard on yourself ... just keep doing the exercises and the bend in get better. 😀
  • Posted

Adjust goniometer for elevation and sea air.
    • Posted

How did you know we lived 500 metres from the sea, up a hill which is almost vertical!!!
  • Posted

100 is still pretty good.

My physiotherapist did not always tell me what the measurement was, she just used to say more, more.!

• Posted

You had mentioned Tenerife and being on the higher part of the Island.  I had to Google it of course.  I have only X amount of time to know everything... ha ha
  • Posted

I found it difficult to measure on my own and now take a side digital picture of the bend and measure it with a goniometer on the the computer screen. You can also compare weekly pictures to visably see improvements which makes you happy lol.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

Don,t be disapointed with the 100 degree bend, it'll get better, I do'nt have a goniometer but my physio & surgeon both measure for me, I am just over 115 right now but I am hoping for at least 135 eventualy. My physio says there is no specific time limit in getting the bend better, it's just a matter of trying for more, which I do.

Where abouts in Tenerife are you?

By the way we are about the same age, I will be 70 this July.

Lynn

biggrin

• Posted

That's really good news regarding your healing process. The last time I went through this, my therapist said if I got between 115-120° I would be a t a level of doing anything I would want to do. Then I realized he didn't know I wanted to be a high wire performer in the circus so I guess that's out of the picture now. Youngsters like you and Valerie should be able to get there however. My immobilizer is set at 40° which I got to quickly and w/o pain but expect the next phase when the real prosthesis goes back in to up the difficulty again. Hope you continue on your journey without any difficulties
    • Posted

Hi Lyn . we live in the north of the island, Bajamar. It's a little seaside village, very little tourism now, although itn its heyday it had four hotels!  Much cooler and wetter up here than in the touristic south!  Yes, we are just about the same age!  I was 70 on Dec 28, so there are only a few months between us!  Have you ever been to Tenerife???
    • Posted

All a matter of which way you are looking. To me, that was a while back and we were still doing a lot of traveling
    • Posted

I would still be doing a lot of travelling. . except that my husband is ten years older than me, and no longer wants to travel more than necessary!  And after the news about the Germanwings plane, deliberately crashed by the co pilot, even more determined not to go anywhere!
    • Posted

That story just started hitting the news late last nite and I haven't had time to get caught up this morning.
    • Posted

Thank you for the lovely reply, especialy regarding mine & Valories age I have been watching your ups & downs & you must be a very special person to withstand all thats been thrown at you & still keep the positive  attitude & sence of humour you have.

Heres hoping this time you'll be fine, you have been through enough, also with the worry of your wife.

Keep smiling

Lynnbiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.