Discectomy tommorrow! Worried... Positive stories required

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have my discectomy booked and I go in tommorrow morning, I met the surgeon yesterday he seems really positive and he seems to have a good reputation, he said I won't need a laminectomy I thought everyone needed that... Don't they? Is he just trying to make me feel better! I was asking him about mega blood loss, spinal fluid leaks, staples and he was a bit like what have you been reading! I am so scared, he said they used to do a laminectomy but now they don't and I don't get a micro discectomy as they have sufficient lighting only difference is a microscope! 

He said I'll be fine, I'm praying I am and he said complications are slim! But I'm Such an anxiety queen! Just so scared I've filled my head with horrible stories. 😞

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi don't worry about this op had one 3 years ago on my lower back all went fine
    • Posted

Oh good I've read horrible things and it's made me stress was yours straight forwards? 
  • Posted

Yes spent about 3 days in the hospital and was off work about 9 weeks still on the patches and pills was on before but I'd been on them about 2.5 years so was told would be hard to give them up but not been off work since
  • Posted

Hi think the laminectomy is when they remove bone as well. My surgeon only said they remove disc. I read about spinal fluid leaking but not the other. Suppose it's like if you have an epidural in childbirth that has risks but 1000's do it. The thought of something unknown is always worse than the reality. That's what I keep telling myself, I'll be the same in a couple of weeks when I have mine done!!! Its been brought forward from August. That it's self made me feel anxious😔
    • Posted

Yeah I was anxious about that as the waiting time was 12 weeks and it's getting done within ten days but I think if your young they like to prevent permanent nerve damage ... Yeah it is to remove bone but he said I wouldn't get that... He seemed very upbeat about it... I'm a nervous wreck ! So terrified ... X
    • Posted

Did you get a good vibe from your surgeon? The one I saw was ok initially not very forthcoming with information but lightened up by the end of the appt! He said the SE if your young git and not had problems for too long you have a good recovery. Anxiety is a frustrating annoying thing. It must be so nice to be chilled and horizontal about stuff! I've never been like that I worry when things are going well lol!
    • Posted

Lisa you sound like me I suffer awful anxiety, I'm worried about the anesthetic and my friends are like enjoy the sleep, I never think that way... Yeah I did and I got my fiancé to go back on thurs to see the surgeon to ask questions etc and he seems to not be worried at all! I am Ill u should email me and I can text you tommorrow and let you know how I am, my email is _____

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an e-mail address from this reply as it is the policy of patient.info to not publish these within the forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi they've roved your address and said to use the private messaging syst on here but I'm not sure how to use that?
    • Posted

Lol ok. I'll just get you here on this then take care .. I'll never sleep tonight lol
  • Posted

Glad your getting sorted so quick id been going round an round for nearly ten years trying pain relief instead of sorting the problem out and was 3months in between seeing doctors after trying dif pain relief hope all goes well for you after having my back prob for so long I now got probs with my hips hey that's what you get for being under 50 
  • Posted

Yes he was good and the one that did my op had trained all the younger doctors I was told if you asked 100 people it would be50/50 I just wanted to be pain free and love working so about 20 years working left at least 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.