Discectomy tommorrow! Worried... Positive stories required

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have my discectomy booked and I go in tommorrow morning, I met the surgeon yesterday he seems really positive and he seems to have a good reputation, he said I won't need a laminectomy I thought everyone needed that... Don't they? Is he just trying to make me feel better! I was asking him about mega blood loss, spinal fluid leaks, staples and he was a bit like what have you been reading! I am so scared, he said they used to do a laminectomy but now they don't and I don't get a micro discectomy as they have sufficient lighting only difference is a microscope! 

He said I'll be fine, I'm praying I am and he said complications are slim! But I'm Such an anxiety queen! Just so scared I've filled my head with horrible stories. 😞

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

"I don't get a micro discectomy as they have sufficient lighting only difference is a microscope!"

There's an additional difference between a Microdiscectomy and a Discectomy: a much larger permanent surgical scar, which the surgeon should also have advised you of. A larger incision also means a longer recovery time and healing period. Has he told you about the alternative surgical procedure of an Endoscopic discectomy, which doesn't require cutting into the back and stripping away the muscles (which causes most of the post operative pain and recovery time ), but uses cameras and various modern gadgets and only requires a c.1cm insertion point? Recovery time is much less because you haven't cut into and damaged so much healthy tissue and future internal scar tissue becomes less of a problem.

Some surgeons prefer old fashioned discectomies because it's easier for them and some aren't interested in learning 'new tricks'. Some patients may actually need the more invasive older method. But it's your body and the hospital, in law, cannot properly obtain your consent without informing you of all the alternatives (so if it went ahead without you being informed of all the reasonable alternatives, you could sue them for lack of Informed Consent).

if you have already been fully informed of all the pros and cons, then that 's fine.

• Posted

I'm just about to leave for surgery oh god now I'm terrified I'm sure there is a reason in getting the normal discectomy ... He said I wouldn't need laminectomy though I'm really terrified and I didn't even know about endoscopic one! Wish I wasn't going in shaking even tying this 
    • Posted

Thinking of you, just think in a couple of weeks you could be saying the same to me😉

If the surgeon is good at what he's going to do then that's better to have that than an op he's okish at 😳

• Posted

Hi lisa I got surgery about 10 was very nervous I feel fine though I'll see how I am when physio comes tomorrow but apparently all went well ... 👍
    • Posted

Great news I've been thinking about you all day. Think I've worked out how to send private message I'll try send you my emal
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine

Noticed it's been a couple of months now since your surgery and I am really interested to hear how things have been since your surgery and how you are now. 

I'm scheduled to discuss my treatment options this week with the orthopods for a prolapsed L4/L5 disc. 

Hope things are much more positive for you now smile

• Posted

Hi Stuart yes I'm doing good, really god I've had some slight leg pains but think its just the nerve repairing! Much better than I was by far 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.