Discharge

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm now almost 7 weeks post surgery, have had UTI infections treated with antiotics, but have had a discharge for a couple of weeks. Hospital gave me more antibiotics and did swabs but so far nothing has come back. Also the tight stinging feeling in low abdomen is coming from time to time. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dorothy,

When you've gone through a hysterectomy, one would think that you've gone through enough.  But sometimes you end up with repeat uti's. You could have vaginitis, which is why they did the swabs. That could be why you have the stinging feeling, or you could be getting another uti.

It would be helpful for you to start tracking what kind of bacteria they found in your cultures, assuming they cultured your urine, too.  Doing cultures are necessary because they also need to find out what antibiotic they need to give you.

If your ovaries were also removed, then your body doesn't have enough estrogen to keep your tissues reslient, and you get irritated easily, both in your vagina and your bladder.  That means bacteria can attach and grow.  You can try taking probiotics specifically suited to women. 

I suggest you also check out the uti forum on this site.  Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on.  

• Posted

Many thanks for that Lynda. With my first uti they found the ecoli bacteria plus blood and nitrates. The antibiitic they gave me for that made me so ill, the Doctor replaced it with 2 stronger ones. When I went to the hospital last Friday they gave me another weeks course which I am stil taking. They did remove my ovaries too, so that coud explain some of the irritation.I am phoning the Doctor tomorrow to ask a few questions, and I wil check the uti forums.It's all very frustrating isnt it Thank you Lynda, I will get back to you.

• Posted

It's also important for you to realize that you're probably also practicing good hygene, and habits.  Getting uti's is probably not caused by something you did or didn't do.  You needed the hysterectomy, and now there are other issues to work through that are consequences of not having your ovaries and the hormones.  

Also, if you can, keep track of what antibiotics you have been prescribed and their effects on you.  Antibiotics don't always work the same in the body, so I suggest you educate yourself.  Certainly, there are many side effects associated with antibiotics, but the point is to reduce the amount of less beneficial bacteria in your system and enable its population to be kept at bay by the more beneficial.  

• Posted

H Lynda, GP has got back to me, she telephoned the hospital and there was no infection present on swabs, which begs the question why the dicharge? The hospital seemed to think it would clear with antibiotics. So she has re-referred me to the Consultant as my follow up appointment isn't until September, and I really feel this needs to be sorted. I will certainly look to buying probiotics, so thank you for your help. Best wishes.

• Posted

Well, you have discharge.  So my belief would be that your vagina is irritated.  The difficulty here, I think, is specialization.  Your gp knows a little, but not a lot aboout your reproductive system and hormones,  The surgeon knows how to perform surgery, but not how to help with the post operative part.  You can consider asking for a referral to a urologist, but that would probably happen only if you've had a few more infections (awful, isn't it?). Or you can ask for a referral to an ob/gyn to have your vaginitis looked at before things get worse.

To be frank, my surgeon/oncologist would note that I had vaginitis during every quarterly follow up exam.  But he didn't mention that not getting it under control might result in continued uti's.  Nor did he suggest anything that could help with the irritation, other than estrogen cream, which I can't have.  Now, my vagina feels like a paper bag and it's constantly irritated.  After three uti's he's thinking of referring me to a urologist.  I'm thinking of going to my ob/gyn.  

• Posted

Hi Lynda, the joys of being a woman! It's so frustrating when you can't get definite reasons for this or that, or even recommendations for other folk to help you. I'm hoping my appointment wont be too far away and that meanwhile, I dont get any more infections. Trust you soon get an apointment sorted with someone and you receive the help you need, it seems wrong to have to keep suffering before they act. Take care, be in touch

• Posted

Thanks, Dorothy!

I do have an appointment coming up in a week or so.  Will let you know how I get on, and please do the same--let me know how you get on!  

All the best to you! xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda, Hope you've had your appointment and that everything went well for you. Abit of a saga with me, after my GP had written to get my appointment with the consultant brought forward, I was recommended to go to A and E because of my discomfort. Prescribed 30mg cocodamol x4 daily, doctor reckoned the discomfort  was my muscles etc., settling down and to be patient - you are 74 and it's only been 7weeks.So saw my consultant, more swabs & urine sample, she felt that the discomfort I am experiencing is part of the healing process, so was happy for me to be discharged. But to go back if things didn't improve.

?I am still very uncomfortable some days, feels like a ball in my belly,very sore and low abdomen pain. I feel I am being a bit of a wuss, but the pain is vey real and I feel no-one can understand that. I'd love to wake up one morning having not been disturbed when turning over  in bed, and be free from discomfort.

?Can anyone else relate to any of this, and Lynda I do hope your recovery is continuing well. Take care

• Posted

Hi Dorothy,

Went to the ER and got put on cipro, which seems to have done the trick. I am taking probiotics orally and vaginally, which seem to be helping.

Unfortunately, my ER visit occurred because of another issue so I'm involved in getting that one sorted as soon as possible. If you are still In pain, I'd suggest that you press your doctor to do some tests to find out what's occurring.  

Hope you get some relief soon!  xx

• Posted

Hi, When the GP requested my appointment be brought forward, she felt they would do a scan, but when I mentioned this at a and e, and the consultant, they didn't seem to think it was necessary! They were all of the mind that it was muscular, with things getting into place, and just carry on taking paracetamol to help with the pain. I'll give it another few days and hope that it will solve itself, but if not it's a visit to the gp., see if she can suggest anything else.

Trust you can get your other issue sorted soon Lynda, will keep you posted  xx

• Posted

Hello lynda20916.... was the stinging in the abdomen or vagina? Mine comes from the incision area....
    • Posted

dorothy01303

I can relate with the pain issue.....stinging in abdomen....other than that I feel great..... i am 41....i kept my ovaries ..... day 10 after surgery and the pain is too much to bear without pain meds n ibuprofen....belive me I try....when my bladder is full it hurts when I have to do #2 it hurts (my abdomen)....it feels like I am dealing with a child that can't talk....i have to find out where the pain is coming from....when I use the restroom I am relieved....when i take the pain meds i don't feel the pain..... can I have a pain patch for the remaining healing period....kmsl....still can't bend down.... can't get up fast....cant sleep on my side only back..cant where any clothes..very frustrating.....thr area around my incision is tender to touch.....

Praying that it gets better for us!

• Posted

Hiya, I think we all have to accept that we cant do things as quick as we wish, but it will come! Although I am still experiencing discomfort, I can now sleep on my sides which is how I'm used to sleeping, and the area around my scar feels most strange, but been told that that will also go in time. Thank goodness for baggy teeshirts and leisure trousers! and big knickers!

?Given time, I'm sure we will all feel 'normal' again. Best wishes

• Posted

The stinging sensation was diverse, seemed to be in the opening of my urethra, and in the mouth of my vagina--mostly after urination.  It did make me quite miserable.

After my surgery, as my body knitted back together the port sites burned rather than stung.  

Hope this helps.

• Posted

lynda20916

I hate to hear that for you and wish and pray for healing for you....my pain is only from the incision and extreme tenderness around the incision

• Posted

Thank you, Lola, I appreciate your prayers so much!.  Rest and take care of yourself!

All the best! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.