Disequilibrium for 5 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I hope all those in this discussion group/forum are doing well and are getting better. I've been dealing with disequilibrium and off-balance sensations for the last 5 months that started in mid January of 2018. I woke up on a particularly cold day in Ontario to urinate at 3 AM and passed out after I finished urinating. Then 3 days later I pulled a muscle waking up and went to a chiropractor the same day. My neck was still sore when I came home and for 4 days I didn't really leave my bed/couch until my body felt better.

That is when I noticed a disequilibrium sensation (not vertigo). A week later I went to the doctor after it didn't get better. I had blood work done and was giving Naproxen and baclofen which helped the neck pain but not the imbalance. After a week later I went back to the doctor and was then giving Beclomethasone Nasal Spray and a Beta-Histine. The Beta-Histine reduced the imbalance a bit but the side effects were not great and the nasal spray cleared up the nasal passages but some of its listed side effects ironically are my symptoms. 

I was sent to an ENT who saw me for maybe 3 mins and ordered an MRI and audio pressure test, both of which came back with no detected issues and then he suggested I see a neurologist, which now I've been on a waiting list for a few weeks. All blood tests came back normal as well. Two weeks ago I bought Natursea Omega fish oil with Vitamin D3 and have been taking it. And yesterday I started taking 3-6 drops of oregano oil to see if that might help with potential any bacterial/viral causes.

To summarize: I'm a 32 year old male of an average build (I weigh 156 lbs) that has been dealing with imbalance issues that have no known causes which is mainly centered around the forehead with some periodic ear pressure. Needless to say this has robbed me of my quality of life and reading some of the other stories here, it seems like I'm one of the lucky ones that it is not worse. Any theories or advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mr F,

Does your balance issue feel like you're standing/walking on jelly sometimes or the floor beneath you is not solid?

I am going through something similar and also on the waiting list to see a neurologist as docs and ENTs tests have come back fine

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

I would say the first  few months felt like I am walking through pudding and while lying down there is a small swaying sensation. In the early months of going through this I couldn't really sit up in my room for a few hours do to the disequilibrium.

• Posted

Its not constant for me it depends on certain movements, its pretty scary when it happens too.. 
    • Posted

U sound like u may have BPPV. It's vertigo that's affects u when u move certain ways. And it doesn't  mean you'll have a spinning head every time. I've been lightheaded for over 4 yrs. & it would take all day to say what I've been through. 2 Neuros. 2 ENT's, Eye & others & finally after 41/2 yrs. I got a VNG test that showed it was BPPV plus a balance issue. Only 1 time in 41/2 yrs did my head spin. I just walked around lt. headed. They r trying the Eply Manuver on me now & I think it is helping a lot. You can find it on u-tube, but it must be done exactly as said. Ask your Dr. to order a VNG test 1st before trying.

• Posted

I've had the epley done by multiple docs and physios and there was no change, I've had a VNG test done as well which brought on lightheadedness and when they closed the goggles it felt like the room was spinning but they analyzed the testing and said it was all normal

• Posted

Hope you find some relief; it is debilitating!
    • Posted

Thanks. I hope so too. Glad to have found this discussion forum.
  • Posted

when you say you passed out do you mean you fainted?
    • Posted

Yes, I felt weak and could see black bars on the sides of my eyes, I remember all of it and then sliding down the side of the wall and siting on the floor. I got up and quickly went back to bed hoping that it was nothing worse.
    • Posted

Jeez how do you go back to sleep after that
  • Posted

Hi Mr F,

Mine is swaying, bobbing up and down heavy and light on a boat feeling

Walking is like float, sink, on a plank

This has robbed me of my quality of life, i feel better to know there are quite many out there, i am not alone with it

Alan 37

Singapore

• Posted

I hope you are feeling better alan94308, and I agree that knowing one isn't alone in dealing with this is a good thing. I tried a netti pot yesterday and my nasal passage is a little clearer but while having the water flow through my nostrils did increase the imbalance a bit for awhile before it calmed down. I'm guessing I might have upper sinus or inner ear issues that might be causing this.

• Posted

Thank you Mr F

If your nasal are blocked, smell senses reduced, could be something to do with it, but i noticed your ENT doctor just did MRI for you, he should have tested you for hearing test or the test where they see your eyes while running hot and cold air into your eyes, to check for inner ear balance, did they check, you did not talk about it and did he camera scope your nose to see any problem

My Singapore time is directly the opposite of most of you guys, so when i reply at night, you guys are in the morning

Alan

• Posted

Sorry, i mean run hot and cold air into your ears and see movement of your eyes by a computer lens to check inner ear balance, some test name i forgot
    • Posted

My ENT did a audio pressure and hearing test and everything can back normal, but I do have a bit of pressure in my ears too. I didn't do the hot/cold air test you mentioned and I never brought it up since I wasn't aware of that type of test. Also I only saw this ENT twice each time was very short and after my MRI came back normal he suggest I go see a neurologist. So basically I have to go to my home doctor and maybe see if a CT scan can find an issue. I feel bad for everyone on this discussion board. None of us should be going through this type of hell, but here we are. That's life. I just hope that most of us will find a solution to our answers.

For example my issue could be mold related so I will see if there is any blood tests I can get that may prove or disprove my theory. I do have small amounts of mold in my bathroom ceiling (only part of my apartment that does have it).

• Posted

Mold related, should be unlikely right

Someone told me there are support group of such on Facebook which are helpful, any idea 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.