Disillusioned with doctors!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Am i the only one who feels that my doctor doesnt empathise with the pain i am in with my migraines and is all too quick to write me another prescription.I last visited my doctor 2 years ago along with my wife who arguably suffers albeit in a different manner.I was in tears in the surgery trying to tell him how much i suffer but again he wanted me to try more medication.I asked him if i could get a scan or something but i was told they dont scan people in my position because if there was anything seriously wrong it would have shown before now.(im 44 yr old male with 28 years of migraines behind me).Anything i suggest to the doctor as an alternative to tablets is dismissed especially if ive read about it on the internet.

I begrudgingly  took his prescription for Topirimate , had the dosage topped up 3 times until i decided to forget it.I always find my body gets used to the tablets until they become ineffective.

Migraine suffering is a very lonely place.,My wife suffers, the children suffer and the dog suffers when i get an attack. Stuck in a dark room with eye throbbing pain pleading for it to stop is no way of life.

Waking up with a headache, going to work with a headache and getting home with the same headache is no fun.

Having just joined the forum i am hoping to find something new to try in this battle.

I hope all who read this are having a good day and long may they continue...

smile

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Richard,

I am sorry to hear of your suffering but after suffering 30 years myself, I believe I have found the answer for me which I gladly share in case it works for you. In defence of the GP's, no one yet knows the cause of migraines that is why they struggle to help.

I started having migraines at about 13 but also suffered with anxiety. I would get migraines aura + headache either during or after playing sport. I later also found that I got a migraine after eating oranges (they made my tongue swell up) What links both these triggers - adrenaline. It is released during exercise and in response to an allergic reaction to counteract histomine.

I am now on Propranolol which controls the release of adrenaline (anxiety) and is also used to prevent migraine. People who suffer migraine are 3 x more likely to suffer from anxiety.

• Posted

Richard,

Here's a slight twist on what I said before. (I know abslutely nothing but I am facinated by this subject and I am learning) 

I knew my children would get the same migraines as me and really wanted to find a cure and whilst I haven't found a cure, I have found how to stop them which for me and them (yes, they get them too!) is Propranolol.

I know I talked about adrenaline before but I think the starting point is allergies.

Allergy-Histomine-Adrenaline-Anxiety-Migraine.

Propranolol controls stage 3 for me which stops me being anxious and therefore I don't get a migraine. Maybe different allergies produce different responses in the body. Another reason I think allergies are the root cause is that for many people, the numbers and intensity of migraines reduce as they get older probably because the body has become desensitized to the allergy over time.

So in conclusion, you or your wife might be allergic to your dog or dust or food or pollen or any number of things that make your body respond to produce histamine to prevent anaphylactic shock, adrenaline to counteract the histamine which becomes anxiety over time which leads to migraines. 

Get tested for allergies and treat the allergy, hopefully that might stop your migraines. Do either of you suffer from anxiety? If yes, you might think it is because you get migraines, however, your migraines are just a symptom of your anxiety.

Let me know if you get anywhere.

• Posted

Richard,

My evidence supporting my theory is that looking back, I realised my hayfever, anxiety and migraines all happened around the same time (13 years). My reaction to hayfever has massively reduced over time, I do not feel I am as anxious as I was as a child and my migraines have reduced in quantity and severity (I usually only get the aura and virtually no headache anymore)

• Posted

Hi Phil, like you I am long term migraine sufferer ( over 40 years) but I have found the complete opposite to you. I started getting migraines at 17, they would start with the aura and about 20-30 mins later pain over left eye. I found if I took paracetamol at the start of the aura then the pain would be bearable. I never had nausea, sensitivity to light or had to lie down in dark room. At the most, I got 3 or 4 a year and generally I could pin point a reason ( stress). About 15 years ago I started to get them every 4-6 weeks and they weren't treatable with paracetamol or ibuprofen that's when I started to go to the doctors. Since then I think I have tried every preventative med and migraines have increased to at least weekly. I don't work, I don't have any worries so I am not under any stress. Tried all the usual, cutting out cheese, chocolate, wine,citrus fruits and caffeine but nothing has made any difference. I also don't have any allergies. Having said all this I have recently made a breakthrough, after seeing a neurologist in November last year I have been prescribed Pizotifen. This hasn't reduced my migraines, I still get one a week, they are less intense and now respond to just 2 paracetamol. This just goes to show that I think that doctors don't know the exact causes of migraines and that makes them difficult to treat and it would appear that we all experience them differently so what works for one doesn't always work for another, so it's worth trying everything it just might help. Good luck everyone.
    • Posted

Kath

I agree with you that the doctors don't know the exact causes of migraines and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another but I would still argue that you might still have an allergy you are not aware of. For instance, I have eaten oranges without any issues all my life but it wasn't until in my 30's I noticed my tongue became sore after eating an orange. I then linked having oranges to getting migraines.

Another thing I have found is that I have actually managed to turn the pain off by massaging my neck. I just lie on the floor on my back and massge the neck muscles. It was almost like I turned the pain switch off.

• Posted

I agree that adrenaline may trigger migraines. But I don't think allergies always predecess the adrenaline release. For me I think it is any type of stress, for example I used to get a headache every single monday when I was at school. I concluded that it was the stress of getting up early after 2 days sleeping in late on the weekend that "stressed me out". Now things like late nights and lack of sleep can give me a headache asa well as skipped meals, travelling, season change, storms, heavy exercise, long sitting or standing times... the list goes on. All these things have in common that they are a stimulus which I am not used to and so my body perceives as "stressful", thus releasing adrenaline... Apparently the other stess hormone cortisol can have negative affects on the body too which wouldn't at all surprise me if that too contributed to headaches. We're all just a bit senistive aren't we? 
  • Posted

Hi Phil

Back online after 24 hour headache yesterday, feelin ok now though.

Have previously been on propanolol but as with most medication either the dosage gets that high that the side effects outweigh any benefits or they just become ineffective.

• Posted

Sorry if I just replied with a blank message; this is my first time on the forum!

I am only 21 and have been experiencing migrianes since I was about 15. My mum gets them too and she has missed out on so many things because of them. I don't want to waste my youth not being able to join in things because of stupid stupid headaches. The problem with doctors is that they give bandaid treatments rather than finding the root cause of the problem and treating that. Recently I have been lucky enough to find a physio who actually CARES and is determined to help me, as it seems a lot of the headaches for me, are neck related. Since seeing him, my headaches have reduced and I just feel generally better. No doctor had recommended this, I just decided to go on my own. 

I say try a physio and get your neck/back and shoulders looked at. My posture is terrible and for someone so young I should not be feeling so ancient. 

BTW i joined this forum because I am suffering from a migraine right now and needed some re-assurance... I feel your pain.

As a side note- topirimate was the WORST medication I have ever encountered. 

Was on propanolol but some drs agree that I'm too young for that as it reduces the heart rate and I'm already tiny and have blood pressure already on the low side.

Am currently trying Maxalt... seems to work for a bit but wears off quickly rolleyes

Goodluck and take care

• Posted

Hi Caitlin,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree about getting neck looked at, I have Indian head massage and this makes a difference, but I dont feel its the answer.

I dont have the answers as each person reacts to meds in a different way.  But I do totally agree about Topirimate, it made me suicidal!  The maxalt you take is good for getting rid of a migraine, but as you say it comes back quickly, because its only a reliever not a preventer.  You could ask your drs to try you on Pregabalin, its a recognised preventer of migraines and if they still persist see a neurologist and suggest Botox.

Good luck Caitlin, let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

I keep hearing how stress is a migraine trigger but can anyone tell me how to manage the stress of going to work, pay bills, pay mortgage, bring up family etc,etc.Unfortunately for me i am a born worrier so this does not help.

My main trigger is alcohol so i tend to avoid this, but the only time i am stress free is when im on holiday.It is then i am able to drink when and how much i like and not be expecting a headache.

In short, unless i win the lottery to relieve me of some of this burden,i have to manage as best as possible.

• Posted

Hi Richard, I too was a worrier with all the stresses of every day life. The biggest thing for me was getting the mortgage finished with and since then, life is much easier. I feel sorry for youngsters today struggling with this and young families. But this is a different argument. All I can say is try to find something you can relax with, some lads find fishing very relaxing, others do sport or sing in a choir, take up painting etc. It won't necessarily rid you of migraine, but life should be more tolerable.
    • Posted

Worrying is a HUGE problem and that is probably what is causing your headaches.  Psychologists call it ruminating. I didn't worry so much as I stewed a lot over all the things I had to take care of.  I was a single mom who raised two sons who both struggled with addictions, took care of a house, a car, the finances, and went to night school all while working full-time at a demanding and stressful job. I turned to God and learned to trust Him to work out things and it has been a HUGE burden off my shoulders. Our thinking patterns are what need to change. It sounds like you may be using alcohol as a coping mechanism, so I humbly suggest going to a counselor or a twelve step program.  Talking about the issues is extremely helpful. Most of all - talk to God. Blessings to you.
  • Posted

hi liz

I love fishing because as you rightly say its quiet and relaxing.

Mind you went out saturday, it was blowing a gale, pouring with rain, fish were in hiding................still enjoyed it.

• Posted

See, it doesn't matter what the fish do, essentially you are in a different place and it's better for you. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi, Richard. These migraines are strange creatures and unless someone has had one, they have no idea of the excruciating pain and after effects. If your doctor is not helping you or being responsive, I strongly suggest getting another doctor. Pronto.

Stress is a huge factor in migraine. Along with dietary triggers, vitamin deficiencies, etc. I refused all prescription meds due to the side effects and instead revamped my diet, started taking magnesium glycinate because migraine sufferers are known to have low magnesium levels, and am doing a lot of reading on how to change my thought life and handle situations. I would definitely get all the necessary tests done to rule out anything serious has developed and if all is ok, then try the holistic approach. I don't know how you handle work with a headache. I can't. Keep searching. Each person's triggers are different but you will find an answer. Take care and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.