Dislocated hip , after hip replacement , and the following nerve pain that follows

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a hip replacement January 9 th 2017, February 13th it dislocated, l became taboo , in my surgeons eyes , there is not much after care , everything is raw and painful , and continues to be. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi mikeny, sorry to hear about your continued pain. How did you dislocate your hip? That is my biggest fear I just had my 2nd. ATHR on August 28th and my 1st one May 15th.Still recovering just trying to stay mobile and positive.
    • Posted

Hi  Treetee, l feel like to be totally honest in order to help anyone here is major.  I had two fusions first was 6/ 96  revision was 8 / 98, very major , hardware dislodged  so revision was needed , 2011 , had left knee total Replacement, l was in so much pain after , it found to be done wrong , but l had to suffer for 6 months waiting , my knee know is really killing me to walk . I have been in constant pain for over 20 years . Presently l had a LTHR, Jan 9th 2017 , after 5 weeks l started to feel very good ,,too good, This was Feb 13  same year, anyway l did rehab at home bad move , so that night l sat on couch my back side sank lower then knees, it was. 10 pm , l live alone , if a phone was not near l would of  been in trouble, l heard a shift loud like a gear shift , l then slid off couch screaming  and yelling , l have never felt pain. Like this , it was human , it took 4 hours before l got it pushed in at the emergency room , 2 hours for someone to get my door unlocked.  I have much after pain , l sure after research l crushed the  sciatic nerve constant pain from my hip to legs yo foot , very painful nonstop, l feel like this is not my leg anymore, l am troubled , the surgeon who did my hip is in Rockland county NY, my visits back to surgeon has been very very disappointing, he is on the defensive mode , he even said l forced him to do the surgery, how can l do that , maybe he felt l was a poor  candidate  but never told me this. I later found out from a  Second opinion that part of the reason it came out was because I had a fusion in the past they seem to not complement one another .  I did not know this I feel there is nothing more they can do because the hip was pushed back again it took three tries to push it back again in the emergency room so all my damage and pain now is from soft tissue nerve damage muscle torn the ligaments ripped will this ever heal I don't know it's been almost 6 months and it feels like the pain is getting worst,  The surgeon who did the surgery really turned his back on me and made some foul comments he said to me only one other patient in 3000 had locations this-located and it was a mental patient and then my next  visit is when he said I forced forced him to do this surgery . Show my second opinion was done at the hospital for special surgery where I should've went from the beginning I wish everybody on this site the best outcome , we are  buddy's . Mikey NY

• Posted

Hi, I sat to low on the couch,  I heard the shifting like your car shifting then  collapsedto the floor, I hope you feel better my prayers are with you Mike
  • Edited

I take it was put back in properly when it dislocated mine dislocated after 3 maths put back in on à Friday dislocated again on Saturday to be put back on Sunday then 10 days traction followed by 3 months wearing a hip brace ok now at 9 month but still limping and getting back pain

• Posted

Dear Janeane

I so sorry to hear that. I dislocated mine just by moving a small bottle from the table on my right to on front of me but it went back on it's own...had an X ray to verify!

I do hope that you are using two sticks or preferably crutches whilst building up your muscles.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Janeane, you have suffered l know this ,  physically mentally, my hip dislocated once , it it was non Human,   It's inhuman the  very severe pain when this dislocates and there's really not much I found that they could do once that happens except put it back in the paint and everything that comes after I have no remedy if anyone has any answers please share that with me I'm not sure what to do .

• Posted

Hi Janeane,  sorry it took me a while to get back to you,  that must've been downright devastating I know the pain for my dislocation was un-human , How did it feel for you when It dislocated the first time second time I know everybody seems to feel different?and God bless you my prayers are with you

• Posted

Goodmorning, Janeane, you have suffered l know, remember we are pain buddy's, tell me something some people appear to have very little pain after a dislocation , others like myself dropped to the floor screaming in agony until pushed back in , and like me are left damaged , with torn  ligaments nerves muscle damage like myself . Was your dislocations severe or not my pain when dislocated was not human. Thank u , Godbless u . Mikey 

• Posted

Hi Janeane,,that is a shame I know you How painful and Scary not knowing if it's going to happen again,  if I could go back to before the surgery with that pain I'd be much happier my surgery was January 9 this year total left side hip replacement and a dislocated February 13 .... i'm really lost I can't see myself living like this the pain is very dramatic it's almost impossible to walk I don't need a cane or walker it's just terrible pain ,,,I pray for healing for you Mike

• Posted

Hi. i know this is years later, but how have you done after your THR dislocation? I dislocated last month. seven months after my THR. I could sure use some encouragement.

• Edited

Morning mikeNY.   I had my first hip replacement last July 2016, I dislocated my hip about 2 weeks in but really didn't know I did and was walking and exercising on a dislocated hip.  When I went in to see dr for 3 weeks checkup the X-ray showed the dislocation.  2 days later I'm having a total hip revision. Dr could not pop hip back in. Was six weeks non weight bearing and no hip exercises or hip flexion past 80 degrees.  About 5/6 months later I started having sensitivity in my thigh.  It started out just a little annoying but as time went on it got worse. Anything that touched my thigh was terrible it was so sensitive!  Dr put me on gabapentin and I was using Voltaren cream to put on the thigh and hip area.  I was using Aspercream which seemed to help but for a short time.  Dr finally referred me to a pain dr. There he diagnosed me with Meralgia Paresthetica.  The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve had been affected. It's the large sensory nerve in the thigh.  I received 2 steroid injections but didn't help much.  Then pain dr put me on lyrica which seemed to help better than the gabapentin.   But I wasn't taking it as prescribed.   The pain dr started talking about numbing the nerve for like 8/9 months lvg whole thigh numb or burning nerve leaving thigh numb permanently which I'm not ready to do.  I also have a lot of lower back issues and he also recommended a spine stimulator which I'm not sure I want to do either. 😩  I did see neurologist had tests done.  Do have a lot of nerve issues in my leg, but he said this cutaneous nerve is so hard to treat and didn't really offer much.  Back to pain dr with same options but this time I asked to have MRI done oh hip and thigh.  I need to know what and why this happened.  It really has taken away a lot of my life.  Being happy is few and far between.  Neurologist did ask for blood work too see if diabetic and see how my B12 is.  I go back soon to see results of blood work and MRI.   I started taking the lyrica as prescribed and see a difference, but I'm wondering if I'm not having IT band issues as that bothers me from just above knee all the way up to butt, all on side of thigh then to have sensitive nerve, a double whammy!  😖😭.   So did you have to have a revision?  Are you non weight bearing?   When you say you become taboo, you mean your dr does not want to treat you anymore?   Do you know how you dislocated your hip?  I honestly don't know how i did.   Or even when.  God's blessings to you for healing, peace and comfort.   Please let us know how you're doing.  Hugs 🤗Linda 

• Edited

Hi Linda,   I read you a story and I know your pain I will write later it's a terrible day to not human with the hip dislocates hang in there Linda ,your pain buddy Mike

• Posted

Hi Linda I felt so good after five weeks postop hip replacement I took some of the cushions off the couch and I sat on the couch for about a week comfortably and then one night while sitting there he just popped out , The surgeon started talking crazy my first visit  post dislocation, he was not understanding or caring in his  actions words ,  my second visit he stated that I forced him to do the surgery , he said he had concerns because of my other pain , and back surgeries, I said then why Did you do it .  When I went for a second opinion in the hospital for special surgery in New York city one of the best if not the best , I was told there that's probably why it came out , l feel responsible for it coming out more then anything, One day at a time sometimes one minute at a time my prayers are with you

• Posted

Afternoon Mike....that just sux that the dr would say that!!  No one forces a dr to perform surgery!!   So what kind pain are you having? Where is your pain? I've been diagnosed with Meralgia Paresthetica.  It's terrible being in pain after having this surgery.  You have it to get out of pain only to come out having new problems.   I know not everyone experiences bad stuff from this surgery.  They go on to feeling so much better and living their lives.  And that's great!  But then there's us......it's not been an easy road.  As a matter of fact I've regretted it....I'm worried that I'm going to wound up having this for rest of my life and that really sux!!  I hate taking meds.  Thanks for the prayers, I'm keeping all of you fine folks in my prayers as well.   Wishing you all the best and God's blessings to you.   Hugs 🤗 Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda yes the doctor does suck January 9 this year I had the posterior total hip replacement on the left February 13 is when it came out  I don't even go back to the surgeon one visits in my last visit to him he said to me I did 3000 of these hip replacements  and only two dislocated you and a mental patient when I heard him say that I knew he was in my doctor ,  oh it's constant pain 24 seven ,  I had a fusion in the lower lumbar spine in 1996 and the revision and 98 the second opinion doctor stated that that may have contributed so it's coming out ,  sometimes I just want to lay in bed ,  it's a battle every day ,  so how are you doing  Linda . We are painbuddys write me anytime , l hope you feel better as well ,  my left leg does not feel like mine, the muscles in my thigh was pushed around , nerves were damaged , etc , l later on the floor in my apartment for 1 1/2 hour in agony before the door got opened , l could not move a inch, my knee was replaced on that same side in 2011 , and that was always killing me now that's worst , my whole left side is  devastating , the hip hurts , pain in the foot same side .Second opinion doctor said the hip is in it was pushed back again in the emergency room and there's nothing more they can do .  I'm seeing a spine surgeon November 7 at the hospital for special surgery in New York city . That's where I should've went.  Pain medicine doesn't take the pain away  .  I form degenerate of this disease which is a form of arthritis young working outdoors in the cold . Thank you for writing Linda I wish you the best and my prayers are with you

• Posted

Hi  Linda , Was your hip totally out , you were walking and still needed a revision,  it sounds like Doctor era
    • Posted

Afternoon Mike.  I dislocated sometime between the first and second week.   Honestly I'm not sure when it happened or how.  I remember being in hospital after second day was walking with physical therapy and I noticed I was walking on my tippy toes on that leg.  Told pt but didn't seem concerned.  When I got home about a week later I was getting a shirt out of drawer.  I was not facing drawer I twisted to good leg bent slightly over got my shirt then closed drawer and I felt a sharp pain in butt.  Had pain for a day  when I told the physical therapist when she came on Monday because this happened on Saturday she asked me if I was still in pain I told her no so we didn't do anything about it my family noticed when they would walk behind me that my hip seemed higher like I was slanted then I noticed in the mirror my hip is higher I remember calling the doctor and he asked me if that was normal and I'm like I don't know  don't know. I started having more pain when walking and exercising seemed harder.  In bed I noticed my foot was now touching my ankle on opposite leg. I went like that for at least a week or two till I finally went to dr for checkup.   Then the x-ray showed the dislocation he was going to try and pop it in two days later but couldn't had to redo the whole thing he said that the ball of the hip was caught  on the cup but on the side of the cup not in the cup kind of like behind the cup.  it's just so weird how I managed so long like that.  I was also almost 2 inches short before surgery.  He gave me back all my length.  I too have back problems.  It's like a never ending story isn't it?   I'm ok but the nerve pain is keeping me down.  I had MRI on my thigh today with and without contrast.   Hopefully it will reveal what's going on.  I'm really sorry for what you are going through.  Pain is terrible!!   Hugs 🤗  Linda 

• Posted

Hi Linda,  when my hip dislocated I heard a gearshift like a car I slid off the couch I never felt pain like that in my life I could not move an inch for one hour and a half till the super was able open the door it was 10 o'clock at night lucky I had my phone right now and me I was stuck big time , you walking etc sounds like it could of been loose , and then l too have  height taller on one side    And l always had thigh pain post op, you said  your foot was touching your ankle sounds like they were Defects from the gate , oh and nerve pain is  terrible I have constant pain in my butt like the sciatic nerve was  crushed an  going down to my foot the hip hurts all the time ,  and my thigh does not feel like you belong to me it's a different size than my right side it feels tight where I have a severe dislocation are you feeling these things as well now. Prayers with you Linda blessed healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.