Distance vision vs mini-monovision (intermediate/distance)

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've just had the first intermediate lens (-1.5D or -1.75D) implanted with the goal of mini-monovision (intermediate/distance). I just read that distance vision encompasses intermediate vision! Just wondering, is there any advantage of mini-monovision over distance for intermediate/distance mini-monovision? Have I made a mistake?

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Judeth, download and print Jaeger chart. See how you do now in pretty good light. That is for near vision, and is intended to be viewed from 14 inches away.

Regarding your two question, the first one I don't understand. For the second, I don't think so. How would you describe your vision with the refurbished eye?

For distance, how close do you have to be to read a car license plate during the day with your operated eye, compared to your friends? Easy thing to try when in a parking lot with friends.

• Posted

Thanks I'll try the Jaeger chart. The vision in my operated eye is clear but limited in terms of range. For example, typing this I have set the font size to 150. That said, it is much clearer than my unoperated eye without glasses and about the same as my unoperated eye with glasses. I haven't left the house since my cataract surgery last week. Trouble is I can't drive like this...

• Edited

At what distance is your new-eye focus best?

Wait, 150 point??? that is incredible.

The font size on a modern Jaeger eye chart usually ranges from J10 (about 14-point type in Times New Roman font) to J1 (about 3-point type in Times New Roman).

• Posted

I'm speaking of the font size on my laptop not the Jaeger eye chart.

• Edited

For driving you may want to consider wearing a pair of prescription glasses that best corrects your unoperated eye for distance. Then take the lens out of the glasses for the operated eye and let it be correction free. This will give you a rough simulation of mini-monovision if the operated eye is close to -1.50 D.

• Posted

I'm speaking of the font size on my laptop not the Jaeger eye chart.

There are 72 font points per inch. So 72 font characters would be 1 inch tall.

150 point font wound be over 2 inch tall characters.

10 point font would be 0.139 inches tall

• Edited

I think she means 150% of normal size for her monitor. There is a setting in Windows for this. I use 125% sometimes and 150% at other times. It tells us nothing about her visual acuity without knowing the font size and the screen size.

• Posted

Yes, my glasses do correct the distance vision of my unoperated eye for distance. Problem is that my glasses are rimless... I guess I'll need to buy a new frame. Should I limp along for another week or so at least before pursuing a temporary pair of glasses. My second surgery is second week of December.

• Posted

It depends on the type of rimless. I had the kind that have a frame at the top, but appeared rimless on the bottom half. They actually have a thin monofilament plastic piece that fits in a groove in the lens. You can just cut the monofilament and the lens will drop out. If it is the rimless type that have no top and just fittings attached to each side of the lens it is a problem.

My brother got around this with a cheap pair of Zenni glasses, but I guess you would have to weigh the time it would take to get them made vs just "toughing it out".

Another solution which was the one I eventually choose was to get daily contacts for my un-operated eye. This would be a better simulation of mini-monovision if you correct that eye to plano with a contact. But, I went 18 months before I got cataract surgery in the second eye.

• Edited

I think she means 150% of normal size for her monitor. There is a setting in Windows for this. I use 125% sometimes and 150% at other times. It tells us nothing about her visual acuity without knowing the font size and the screen size.

Ahh, yes. Makes perfect sense after you point it out. I had not considered that, I use that setting, myself. Currently at 125%. The DPI settings also affect that, but a high DPI setting also affects icons in addition to fonts. And there is also browser zoom.

When printing out the Jaeger chart to the paper size intended, then I think we will get a more repeatable test.

I wonder at what distance is her new-eye focus is best. That doesn't involve any computer settings.

• Posted

Hi Trilemma, Thanks for your question. What would be the best way to check. Would I have to use the Jaeger chart?

• Edited

This will seem a bit nebulous.. Look at stuff, and see what looks to be in focus with the new eye. Then estimate or measure the distance. It is not the case that you would look at some large print, and see at what distance you can read it best.

So ideally, you would have a target with characters/symbols as tall as some small fraction of the distance. That would be a lot of work. But if you look at stuff, there may be a distance at which things look sharper (less fuzzy edges).

• Posted

Hi Trimella,

Inside house, photos on wall look clear from finger tips and closer. Looking outside window across the street and down the road looks surprisingly good considering. It's probably obvious I'm not an engineer!

• Edited

It seems like you're coming along all right. Just give it some time for your eyes to settle. And you don't have to be an engineer 😃

• Edited

Inside house, photos on wall look clear from finger tips and closer. Looking outside window across the street and down the road looks surprisingly good considering.

That is way more upbeat than your earlier report. Good.

But still, you might be able to walk toward and away from some pictures, and note where the focus looks best. Maybe you would get a better indication from a couple of black lines on white paper.

• Posted

I'm just 1 week from my first eye surgery. I tried testing with unoperated eye closed but still the same as above. Do you think it's too early to evaluate vision now?

• Edited

I'm just 1 week from my first eye surgery. I tried testing with unoperated eye closed but still the same as above. Do you think it's too early to evaluate vision now?

Things are changing, but it is not too early to check things out now. So far, I am not sure you have said that things are better/worse looking down the street than looking at things are 40 inches away.

Your target was to get sharpest vision at about 27 inches or so.

Did they measure your refraction at your one-week visit? If you don't remember what numbers they said, you might phone and ask. Given those numbers, people here could offer some early suggestion for what to do with your other eye You do seem pretty pleased with the outcome, which is really great. It's not that knowing the numbers will have actual effect on your choices, other than affecting what choices you make for your other eye.

• Edited

Hi Trilemma, No refraction yesterday. I'd say that what I see from fingertip length away is better than far distance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.