Distance vision vs mini-monovision (intermediate/distance)

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've just had the first intermediate lens (-1.5D or -1.75D) implanted with the goal of mini-monovision (intermediate/distance). I just read that distance vision encompasses intermediate vision! Just wondering, is there any advantage of mini-monovision over distance for intermediate/distance mini-monovision? Have I made a mistake?

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Certainly, there is an advantage of mini-monovision over distance only - you'll get better intermediate-distance acuity, and better-though-maybe-not-great near-distance acuity.

I don't have to get my first eye done 'til next year, but I am considering a similar target range of -1.5 D to -2.0 D, to get some decent near and intermediate vision. So I don't think it's a mistake!

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for mentioning the near/intermediate approach. I could do that too!

• Edited

Judith

I am glad your surgery has gone well. What kind of IOL did you eventually get?

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I've just had the first intermediate monofocal lens (-1.5D or -1.75D) implanted with the goal of mini-monovision (intermediate/distance). I do feel a bit blind with the intermediate lens only!

• Edited

ok. I meant to say which IOL? Clareon , Eyhance , Tecnis?

• Edited

Be careful. I cannot comfortably use my laptop at 28 inches (or any practical distance) with full distance correction. I need -0.75 diopter under correction. Even then, I'm using a setting of 125% most of the time on my display and a 14-inch screens size. Getting my eyes set to plano would be awful. Most people do not get decent intermediate with a monofocal IOL targeted to full distance correction.

• Posted

Very interesting Jim! Would you say that's true for everyone or especially those with moderate or worse myopia?

• Posted

It's the rimless type that has no top and just fittings attached to each side of the lens. As an alternative, do you think it might work to order a matching clear no correction lens that could replace the lens for the operated eye?

Your brother ordered glasses from Zenni? Great prices! I could call tomorrow and see. I think Laura also mentioned drivers glasses. Have you heard of those?

Many thank Ron!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.