Diverticular and Groin Pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Along with my ongoing abdo pain and diarrhoea I have been getting a horrendous heavy feeling in my pelvic floor area. Sometimes it feels like Ive had a prolapse. Affects my bladder too. Is this a symptom of diverticular? Today I paid to have a virtual colonoscopy as reaching the end of my tether with worry as my nhs date was taking forever. Thought it would be a breeze but how wrong was I! It was horrible. When they pumped the air into me the pain in my groin around my vagina was awful, I honestly thought I was going to vomit. Still painful now and feel like I've been punched in the stomach. Am still hoping to go ahead with my "real colonoscopy but absolutely dreading it now. I dont get my results from todays scope back till about a weeks time. Also I went on another Diverticular forum tonight and they all talk about flare ups which worries me as Ive had the same level of pain and symptoms continually for months. Also a lot of people appear to have been diagnosed without a colonoscopy or ct scan. How is this possible? So fed up and once again worried sick I have something more sinister 😯

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have had diverticular disease for 12 years and also suffer from dragging feeling in pelvic floor but water tests always come back clear.. Have a frequent  and urgent need to wee and difficulty emptying bladder.  Have had a number of colonoscopies over the years and they have shown the condition to be progressing and now affects sigmoid and descending colon. Did not find colonoscopies too bad although the last one, a Ct colonoscopy, was painful when they pumped the air in, but the pain soon subsided once they stopped. I had convinced myself that the diagnosis would be something worse so at least it put my mind at rest on that score.  Diagnosis without a colonoscopy cannot be positive and at least you will be able to rule out anything else. 

I always have pain at some level and feel constantly tired and down.  I have been offered an operation to remove part of the bowel though there is no guarantee this will work and is major surgery.  However my brother had this op 30 years ago after suffering peritonitis when his bowel leaked.  Although it was horrendous at the time, he now lives a normal life and eats what he likes.  Elective surgery should be better than that and hopefully will not involve a temporary colestomy as he had.  I am still hesitant to go ahead as age is not on my side but the chance of being able to live a normal life and having freedom from constant pain is looking like the only way forward.

• Posted

Thats a long time to suffer mia. I was just thinking today that Ive only had this going on for seven months but feel like my life is on hold. Obviously getting close to diagnosis now but that could just be the start of a very different life. Would you not be tempted to have the op and give yourself a chance to be pain free again? I think I would have to give it a shot. Thanks for your help.😊
    • Posted

Hi Mia!

Understand your apprehension. I have made decision to have elective surgery as so fed up and worn out from past 4 years of DD. Don't know how you have managed for 12 years. Do consider op because if you do it now when it not an emergency apparently op safer and recovery better.  like you concerned about my age....late 60s but decided better now rather when older and possibly not as healthy. Good luck x

• Posted

It's the pain teasle, a divi flare is off the scale, and it's off in an ambulance

tout de suit ..if your pain has not been TOTALLY unbearable, so that to move

a fraction hurts,really, really  hurts, Do not know the number to call an ambulance ????

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline. Ive been lucky not to have had unbearable pain, its more constant low grade. The CT scope was certainly not unbearable just v uncomfortable and took me by surprise 😑
  • Posted

I have only just started on the road to being diagnosed, awaiting a ct colonoscopy which I am dreading now I have read that it hurts when they pump the air in! I have only had a couple of flare ups which weren't agonising but I need to know what causes it to put my mind at rest. I too have started having pains in the pelvic floor area and rectum which sometimes feels like trapped wind. I thought I had IBS but the doctor said I need to have this scan in case it is diverticuler disease. Dreading getting the appointment now!
    • Posted

No need to worry, the first two colonoscopies I had were just slightly uncomfortable, the last one aCT colonoscopy was pretty painful when they pumped the air in but stopped straight after.  I would not be worried about having another one.  It only lasts a couple of minutes then it is over.
    • Posted

Aww Shadynook, Im so sorry to have got you worried about the scope. I just expected it to be way easier than the full colonoscopy and was a bit shocked. I have been in quite a bit of pain recently so perhaps my insides were a bit more sensitive. I also have gone on to develop the flu today which probably didnt help either. It is over quickly and inevitability has to be done to get a diagnoses. Can I ask why your doctor has chosen a CT scope over a 'normal' one? 😊
  • Posted

She thought it was less invasive and didn't mention there would be any pain from the air they pump in! I am nit suffering any tummy pain at the moment but have a slight dull ache around the pelvic area and pain in my coccyx when I'm sitting down but don't think that's anything to do with diverticular disease. I just want to know what's going on so I'm sure I can stand a bit of pain for a few minutes, hopefully it will be in the new year so I'm going to try and forget it and enjoy Xmas !! 
  • Posted

Hi teasle! 

Do go for the colonoscopy and ask for sedation. Tell them what happened before. The sedation doesn't knock you out but does make it more comfortable. I also have permanent tummy ache and pressure and throbbing in rectum plus I've had about 4 flare ups this year alone. Had DD for 4 years. I am now booked for elective surgery in Jan and can't wait as acute pains and chronic aches are so wearing and miserable.  I have decided that anything got to be better than how it is at moment and it's only going to get worse surely and I am getting older 😏. I also went  private to begin with at the start of this problem as the NHS wait was too long. At least you get to find out that it not anything sinister. Good luck x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Annie-Marie. You are very brave going for the op but I deffo think its the right decision and something I would deffo do in your position. Its just awful living with chronic pain. I do intend to go for the scope unless I get a clear diagnosis with the CT scan. Really hope your op goes well x

• Posted

If you do intend to ask for the sedation, make sure you take someone with you, otherwise you will not be given it .I went alone and I had the 

gas and air,and obviously you can use as much as you feel you need .Also, as you are awake ,you do get the chance to watch what is happening, as the camera moves up your colon, and you may ask

questions on the way up !!!! 

You will also be able to leave the hospital almost immediately,after a cup of tea .

I know what you are going through ,"" a trip into the unknown "" but

it is a quick procedure ,the insertion of air is necessary ,so the colon widens ,and the camera has an easier glide through.

The theatre garb will make you smile, over dressed  is the word that comes to mind.

• Posted

Good luck with everything...I had my second colonoscopy in July and with all the sedation and gas and air it was OK really.  I have had all sorts of "things" up there since diagnosis in 2006.  My worst ten months was Nov 2015 to July 2015 - ten bouts and ten lots of antibiotics; ill more than well...consultant said I would soon be pleading for surgery and then for me a miracle happened - Acidophilis high dose 20billion from Holland and Barratt have been keeping me well and pain free for five months.  I know they wont work for everyone; and may not work for me forever; but they have to be worth trying.  Keep in fridge once opened and one a day.  HOPE it works for you and many others.  They restore healthy bacteria in the gut thus giving the gut a chance to fight off infection I guess.
    • Posted

I have actually bought some Acidophilus and been taking them for a couple of weeks now after reading another of your posts where you recommended them. Reckoned they couldnt do any harm. Thank you☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.