Diverticular Bleed

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have had diarrhea and rectal bleeding for a month and discomfort (but not pain) lower left side. I went to see my GP and she ordered blood and stool samples. A few days later I woke up in blood stained sheets and when I got up blood was running down my legs. I called 111 and was told to go straight to A&E. They kept me in all day on an IV drip as I was dehydrated with sluggish circulation and later discharged with antibiotics Co-Amoxiclav and a letter for my GP saying Diverticulitis/IBD?

Flexible sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy/CT scan have been booked for 31 October. Despite the antibiotics, the diarrhea and bleeding continue and although I am drinking lots of water, I have a continually dry mouth. This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this and am naturally very concerned. I don’t quite understand what is happening. Are the antibiotics to take away the inflammation? Will the bleeding continue until the inflammation is gone? I read somewhere that diverticular bleeds usually stop on their own. Is a month a long time for bleeding to continue? I am trying to be positive but feel very run down and 31 October seems like a long way away for the tests. Any advice please?

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi CJB

I was in the same boat most of aug into sept.I was diagnosied with DIVI after a CT SCAN.  A week after the scan went from Diverticulosis to Diverticulitis when I had a terrible flare up. I bled various amounts for over a month, runs, abdomen pain.  Was put on Anti's right away for 10 days.  Symptoms never went fully away. After 2 weeks of bleeding went to clinic and gp said it could be internal piles that bust when you have a bm.  If you are having a flare up of Divierticulitis the best thing to do is go liquid for the first part to give your bowels a break.  They will love you for it. Then slowly introduce small low fibre easily digestable meals (mashed eggs, mashed potatoes.. etc.) Then when that's going good high fibre all the way.  Don't rush each stage, this can take a while so be patient.  Also a good thing is to keep a food journal.  I'd be lost without mine.  It helps keep track of what can cause flare ups. Some of my triggers are red meat and any berries with seeds.  I drink an enormous amount of water but I also drink peppermint tea and kefir probiotic milk.  Probiotics are great for DIVI sufferers.

Another useful tip.. if your suffering from pain and stinging in the nether region from all the going..Baby bottom cream works wonders!

I've been scheduled for my first colonoscopy in November.  The bleeding stopped near the end of september, but am currently on my second round of anti's as the gastro doc said I never got clear of all the infection from the first flare up.  You have come to the right place for advice.  I've learned soooo much from the people on this forum.

Good Luck

Sunni

• Posted

Thank you Sunni. I am sorry to hear you have been suffering too but your advice sounds good.

I was given no instructions about diet either at the hospital or by my GP but haven’t wanted to eat much anyway. I don’t eat meat as I am a lifelong vegetarian. My normal diet contains lots of fruit and vegetables and I never have constipation so I am a bit puzzled as to why I suddenly have this condition. I am 60 so maybe it’s just age.

I have been under A LOT of stress lately and wonder if that triggered it. But from what you have said it could also be food related.

Since the diarrhea and bleeding started I have just been eating things like a bit of scrabbled egg or avocado and having a cup of vegetable stock each day to try to get some salt into my body plus lots and lots of water. I have cut out milk and milk products. I think the inflammation in my colon must be inhibiting water absorbtion causing the dehydation and continuing diarrhea.

I will take your advice about diet and start a food diary but wondering what liquids I can have that wlll give me some energy. I feel so tired. Would a powdered protein drink be ok do you think?

• Posted

That sounds rough cjb and I sympathise with you. It is a bit risky jumping to conclusions based purely on symptoms and until the colonoscopy is done you may not know any better. I am a bit concerned that your GP did not press for an urgent referral and I'd go back to your GP if there is further deterioration in your general health or increased bleeding.

Have you heard from GP on results of stool and blood tests? These alone are also not definitive but they can tell the degree of inflammation present.

Good luck and take care.

Pete

• Posted

Thanks Pete. My GP did request an urgent referral. I actually got a call from the hospital the following day on the 20/10 but they said 31/10 was the earliest they could do - it's within their 14 day guidelines. GP said blood and stool tests were normal. No infection and no blood in the stools. She did mention colitis and Crohn's but, as you say, I won't know any more until I have the colonoscopy.
  • Posted

the antibiotics it to stop the infection.did you have a leaflet printed of the internet.

​about diverticula diesease.of your doctor.

​it tells you a far amout about it.

i have not had bleeding but a lot of pain every where in my stomach'

i  had to ask the doctor about it a bit more because it can be worrying.

​try not to worry .if you are that worried phone the doctor and tell him it is worrying you and see if he can explain it better. i still have pain every where in my stomach .

​it is from all the wind.that divercula dieases can cause.i think stress can make the pains worse

• Posted

Thanks, Linda. No, I wasn't given any more information but I am finding out lots from the net. I don't have any pain, well, just a slight soreness lower left side, more like a slight twinge. I don't have any wind either. I have one more day of antibiotics to go. It occurs to me that they might be adding to the diarrhea. 
  • Posted

Hello, I can't understand why A&E sent you home .Usually Divi sufferers are

admitted immediately ,put on intravenous antibiotics, and a blood test done to 

see if is raised, as it shows how bad the inlflamation is. 

There is normally LOTS of pain with a divi flare, so it may be something else

If you are feeling really awful, phone for an ambulance 

And yes, stress is not good for you

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline. I think they don't know yet whether it is diverticulitis. They wrote it on the letter to give to my GP with a question mark after. Yes, I wonder if it may be something else. I won't know until I've had the colonoscopy. A&E said to go back if I feel worse and to ask to go straight to acute so I have that option.
  • Posted

Hi You shouldn't be loosing that much blood I think should go back to doctor or hospital. You probably may have to get your blood checked for anemia lack of vitamin B There are alot foods you should be eating. Vitamin B and some foods you should avoid. My dervicular is on the right. I now been told after much hass and asking. "WHY " to be. told the bowel sometimes is floppy and can move to the right. After a year not getting any answer . I have recently had another CT scan which showed hardening narrowing. of the bowel scarring. I'm going see a new consultant November. Your problem seems to be more IBS. I have never heard all this loss of blood I should insist on a CT scan and investigations be rethat's terrible ered Mine may even be chrones waiting to see. Some antibiotics don't work plus giving you diarrhoea bad can be strong especially the one you have been given I spent 5 days on the loo with this one. Also people think they have diarrhoea when actually their constipated it's called over flow where maybe some faeces stuck in a bulge your intestine colon then liquid bypasses it causing diarrhoea and that means you have a blockage. The worst thing you can do is take Imodium in that case. If you have never ever been constipated and just getting diarrhoea you could more likely to have IBS cramps stomach other in that case you need Imodeum. Never take Ibaprofen either it's one the tablets that will activate any stomach problem It took the lining off my stomach and I landed in hospital 3 days. If your in alot pain paracetamol. Really please go see Your GP it's no good the hospital saying this or that ask to be revered to a gastric consultant don't suffer I have been through hell and back. Previous consultant who was useless because my dervicular on right. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Melekie. From what I have read on the net there CAN be a lot of bleeding. I found this:

"What is diverticular bleeding?

Diverticular bleeding occurs when pouches (diverticula ) that have developed in the wall of the large intestine (colon) bleed. If you have these pouches, you have a condition called diverticulosis.

Diverticular bleeding causes a large amount of blood to appear in your stool. Bleeding starts suddenly and usually stops on its own. Abdominal (belly) pain usually does not occur with the bleeding.

If you have a large amount of blood in your stool, see a doctor right away. It is possible, but not common, to quickly lose so much blood that you become lightheaded or weak.

What causes diverticular bleeding?

The reason pouches (diverticula) form in the colon wall is not completely understood. Doctors think diverticula form when high pressure inside the colon pushes against weak spots in the colon wall.

Normally, a diet with enough fiber (also called roughage) produces stool that is bulky and can move easily through the colon. If a diet is low in fiber, the colon must exert more pressure than usual to move small, hard stool. A low-fiber diet also can increase the time stool remains in the bowel, adding to the high pressure.

Pouches may form when the high pressure pushes against weak spots in the colon. Weak spots are where blood vessels pass through the muscle layer of the bowel wall to supply blood to the inner wall.

Bleeding occurs when the blood vessel going to the pouch breaks open.

What are the symptoms?

Diverticular bleeding usually causes sudden, severe bleeding from the rectum. The blood may be dark red or bright red clots. In most cases there is no pain, and the bleeding stops on its own."

One of my concerns is that I do eat a high fibre diet and wouldn't appear to be a candidate for this condition but as I am 60 it could be an age thing. Or maybe it's something else completely. I'll find out in 11 days or sooner if things get worse.

• Posted

I was in the same mind set. I had just turned 40 and I was thinking it triggered some switch....I eat pretty healthy too and this diagnosis seemed to just appeared out of nowhere. Dr. never gave any good advice and I ended up researching on my own and it lead me to finding this forum. 

I could also be a case study for the bleeding.  The amount varied from day to day but there wasn't any pain associated with it.  I agree with thinking the anti's are causing the diarreha.  Have had severe case both times I was on them so far. 

• Posted

It sounds like it has come from nowhere in both our cases. I received my appointment letter today for a colonscopy on 31/10 but then another nurse from a different department called me this morning to talk to me about my symptoms and to arrange a colonoscopy! The NHS in the UK works in a strange and often inefficient way. Anyway, she suggested I call the endoscopy department to ask to get on a cancellation list for a flexible sigmoidoscopy in the first instance as that doesn't need the complete bowel clearance prep, just an enema on the day apparently so that if the problem is there treatment can start sooner rather than later. I called them and was told that my papers had been requested for a doctor to review to see if I should come in earlier.  The amount of diarrhea and blood loss is a cause for concern and I feel very weak and tired so I do hope they can do something before the 31/10. My antibiotics finish today so it'll be interesting to see if the diarrhea improves over the weekend.
  • Posted

Hi I have been really ill with diarrhoea on very strong antibiotics. I managed to see my doctor yesterday. My new consultant said from my CT scan in September this year I have chronic derverticulitus. Today she's having a meeting with her team and already has sent my CT scan to Addenbrooks hospital in Cambridge for them to look at. As mentioned before I was under another consultant last year. I had to make a complaint against him at our hospital over my care. He discharged me as said nothing wrong at a meeting which was recorded said I had only dervertacidosis normal for someone my age of 69 and was minimal. This was untrue Ion my CT scan 2014 shows dervticular desease. I have been in so much pain for over a year ended up in AE several times and no one taking note because I had been discharged from AE after beeing put on a drip for hours and had been vomiting and had violent diarrhea. had passed black stools July was admitted to hospital .I was in there 3 days and I never had ant antibiotics. Early that year had been put on Tablets for acid reflux. I never had anything wrong with my osephgous.they did endoscopy and ultra sound my Pancreas all came back as normal blood tests everything. . Discharged and yet again they didn't raise a CT scan that my consultant had ordered.! Another critical mistake. All my my pain ignored because discharged from Mr #### consultants gastric team the year before. I have felt like I was going mad when they could nor find reason my pain on right side my abdomen. I even had to have my appendix out in 2013 I thought when pain so bad could be adhesions. from appendix operation or they had damaged my bowel keyhole I had my gallbladder out same but that was years age in 1992 and had no trouble ever that keyhole operation. Zoo you can see I'm really angry upset because been lied to my CT scan in 2014 it showed clearly that it was not just derverticuLouisa from old age. Worse when you have to go back to your doctor in pain and they go by the previous consultants findings. What else can they do. In January this year my surgery believed my pain under my rib was from a fall and had maybe fractured my lower right sixth rib told me to take pain killers joke. I had no cracked rib it was a upper stomach problem that's how ended up in hospital in July miss diagnosis. So from Janury 2015 to July was being told a cracked rib will take its time because of my age ! .Until in June that was ruled out by a Exray in AE .! Now today waiting see what my new consultant going to do re my chronic condition and possibly Addenbrooks she is angry and taking all this very seriously. Just to say your bloods can come back as normal My bloodpressure has always been low only raised to 140 over 90 sometimes where that's very high for me when usually 116 over 8O and lower to much is stored by medics by saying yep that's normal the latter when not for me. All their guidelines it doesn't mean your nor in pain. As shows my reply to you I have chronic derviculitus and obviously in pain but all my tests come back normal. At moment they are worried my blood flow to my bowel and other intestines is not getting through I been lightheadedness had heart palpitations felt dizzy had stiff kneck arms felt heavy everything.and possibly I'm dehydrated but drinking loads water to stop diarrhoea. Do I feel like suing precious consultant well YES because I may end up having part my bowel removed other and ending up with a bag. Watch this space.!!

• Posted

My god Melekie, what a nightmare for you,Being ignored seems to be par for the course when we hit a certain age, unless you are lucky enough

to find a caring consultant. I have severe Diviticulitis,and left to cope

with it by myself. Have you had a Colonoscopy. ? That is THE

procedure that shows everything in your colon,CT scans ,I have been told do not show everything in detail.

There is no cure for Divi, only removal of the worst pieces.

hope your outcome will not be as bad as you are expecting ,

It is a serious problem,and cannot be ignored, plus, it will not let

you ignore it 

Good luck, sounds as though you have found a sympathetic

consultant. AT LAST

• Posted

That is what I have been told Jacqueline - that the colonoscopy is the most thorough diagnostic tool. The hospital are currently deciding which procedures I need, trying to figure out how to deal with my not having anyone who can look after me 24 hours afterwards - something I have written about in a separate thread. They said they could do a flexi-sig and a CT scan (but not on the same day as it involves different departments and operators so it would delay diagnosis) but even after those I may still have to have a colonoscopy to determine what is wrong. From the discomfort (not pain) that I am experiencing lower left side - no more that a stinging sensation really - I'm hoping that a flex-sig alone will find the cause. The blood I'm losing is bright red so seems to be coming from somewhere lower down.
    • Posted

I have just had my second flexi---- in two years this one was because an abcess burst, and infection was rife, However the shed load of antibiotics

drip fed kept the infection local, The camera job can be atad uncomfortable

but you can watch and ask questions No one was with me so I could not have the sedation, but the laughing gas is O.K And you can go home fairly quickly (after a cup of tea ) and, the nurse or doctor who does the job, usually tells you what is found . If you get a choice !!!!!!!!

ask for the flexi. which is only half way look,and takes very little time

Good luck,and don't worry  

• Posted

Hi again Jacqueline. I have just had a long conversation with a very nice nurse at the hospital and we have agreed to go for that - a flexisig with entonox and I can go home alone afterwards. I don't mind uncomfortable. Thanks for the reassurance.
    • Posted

Hi yes had colonoscopy showed thickening my Sigmund colon but not really complete Then had CT scan 2014 showed dervicular. desease and he said 4 months later something that you get normally in ageing process No in that meeting said dervicular change when the CT scan a few moths earlier. showed DERVICULAR DESEASE WHICH IS MORE SEROUS THAN HIS BLOODY MINIMAL RUBBISH STATEMENT IN DEC 2014 .Therefore was at a loss and somewhat upset dismissed it as minimal. I'm also upset as to find out now I'm in a whole lit trouble my bowel which he said was nothing wrong didn't have any problem there lol. I have been in continuing pain right side since January this year. As I said BEGGINING to think gone mad or had adhesions However I read sometimes your colon can stick to your bladder if pushed that way and form a fisture which ons would cause pain on the right side and that would need surgery to unstuck it. I'm hoping that I don't want end up with a bag!! Also you get no help or get given a diet or advice. This desease is dipilitating like a constant toothache and scared to eat anything. I'm just glad not cancer but they more likely to counteract that now and you get much support. I feel with derverticulitus they just make you get on with it. Not much empathy. Personally I would rather break a leg and at least after a while you know will re cover. Anyway will let you know outcome. What I can't understand I have never been constipated in my life I never have smoked and I hardly ever drink maybe one glass every few months of wine socially with a meal. I have no idea why I should get this as have always eaten veg fruit and cerial doesn't seem I'm even a candidate for this desease!!
    • Posted

Just they doing that because in their heads say cheaper than a CT scan. No it's not good in my case as had so many procedures that have cost more money than a CT scan and admitted to AE 6 Times and several admissions into hospital over flare ups when a simple CT scan would been cheaper in the long run. Plus what's wrong with a barium meal first than invasive procedures. .Personally a flexible pipe up your anus colon while you have had so much bleeding I fathom to understand. Insist on a CT scan other.. Look at it this way they can't do a endoscopy down your throat if had bleeding or ulcers your osephgous so why your back passage Their having a joke . !! DON'T PUT UP WITH IT. !!
    • Posted

You are more than welcome, just glad it's going to happen for you. 

we all have bits of advice to offer, that's why it's "Good To Talk ""

You will only feel a tad uncomfortable when they put the air in, Ask lots of questions about what you see,they don't mind

• Posted

Sounds as though you me and BIg Ben are always on time. and boring old 

farts with the drinks and smokes. Age of course is an east get out answer

but I do believe that stress contributes to the condition. 

You are quite depressed which doesn't help. May I suggest that you ask 

your G.P for a referal to the Stress management department ,I have been going for a few months now, and find it really helpfull, it can't

hurt, and you will be able to whinge your head off, as I do sometimes

One thing M you have us now to "talk" to and help where we can

I think veggies and fruit don't help the condition, so read up on the

goodies, and the baddies, and some cereals are frowned upon by our colons. 

• Posted

disregard the word EAST, it should read EASY
    • Posted

Forgot to tell you that my colon is rigid in parts ,which means ??????????????? Don't know I wasn't told.
    • Posted

Yep they couldn't find a spare flexible probe whatever and used a non flexible one I had to ask them to stop, I'm thinking maybe I have a rigid colon in parts because it hurt really bad and. had to have more gas and air my back hurt for over a week. Personally think he was a sadistic B I should have said well don't do it bcos Go find another flexible b probe!!
    • Posted

I thought all rear end probes were flexible, as the colon is quite twisty

I gave a few yelps as he poked his way around before coming to a dead

end. Don't know if a doctor would have had more experience  

dealing with problems. Had to take Paracetamol for a few days as the 

internals were quite sore, O.K now No call back to see the cosultant

so, whatever is up there will remain a mystery ,to me anyway.

Working on the theory that no news is good news !!!!!!!

• Posted

Just an update. I had the flexi-sig with some Entonox (gas and air) and the procedure was fine. Not uncomfortable at all and all over very quickly. I watched the screen and could see a lot of bloody bits. It's not diverticulitis but ulcerative colitis so I've been started on Prednisolone and Pentasa with a clinic appointment for two weeks time to review.
    • Posted

Aren't you the lucky one !! I bet you are soooooooooooo pleased with the

result.

Out for a pint and a curry tonight then , ????????????

• Posted

I wish. Makes for gloomy reading looking at the foods that can trigger flares. Going to have to rethink my vegetarian diet for sure and the frothy coffees may have to go but at least I have a diagnosis and can work now towards getting it under control.
    • Posted

It sounds worse than the DD do and don't. lots of veg are no -no for 

us unless they are cooked to disintegration YUK I am braving up a bit I

had one of Lidl's ready curries ,Tikka Masala thoroughly enjoyed it 

What' not good about coffee ??? That is my Starter for the day---- every

day.

• Posted

I found a site which listed 14 foods and drinks that can trigger UC. Dairy, coffee and tea are on the list but I guess different things affect different people. The site was suggesting low residue refined foods, white bread, white rice, white pasta. If the steroids don't make me put on weight, a diet full of those will. It's been 40 years since I last ate meat or fish. I can't see me ever eating meat but I shall think about trying some easy fish, maybe salmon and smoked haddock else I can see me becoming malnourished.
    • Posted

Low Residue is used for a very short period of time ,just while the bowels 

and bits get back to normal ,usually for a couple of weeks 'I don't eat

red meat ,but I do eat lots of fish  I even go to the chippy, but i remove

all the batter  .Cheese is good, milk I never use ,I have coffee mate for

tea and coffee. 

Will you be on the steroids for long ?? That weight will come off

quite quickly once you stop taking them 

I love potatoes ,mashed. roast  new ones and chips occasionally

remove skins  off all of them

Maybe probiotic capsules will help .they certainly help me, and lots

of the D.D crowd use them 

• Posted

The endoscopy clinic was a bit of an assembly line this morning so only time to make the diagnosis, give me the script for Prednisolone and Pentasa and get a bit more info from the recovery room nurse. The doctor popped in and said we'd talk more at the clinic in a couple of weeks time when they'll have the biopsy results. I assume he'll review the drugs when he sees how I've responded. I'm just doing a bit of research myself to see whether there is anything I can do dietwise to help recover from this flare up. I'm due to stay with friends next week and I don't want them stressing over what to cook for me or wondering myself what I can have when we go out.
    • Posted

Don't eat BIG meals, and chew everything and drink lots of flavoured water NOT sparkling Scrambled .poached or omelettes  ,nice and easy to digest

At least you have a follow up appt, none for me , As I have severe D.D they probably think there is no point in seeing me  

• Posted

Good advice. I'm not a great lover of egg dishes but have been eating more these last few weeks to try to get some protein into my body as I have felt so weak. I am inclned to go for soda water as an alternative to wine if I am out and driving and sounds like that isn't a good choice because of the fizz.
    • Posted

Yes soda water is bad especially if acid reflux to and fruit juices cranberry juice I can drink mango juice though it's the least acid drink
    • Posted

I think it's the juices with Bits in that cause probs Cranberry is supposed 

to be good for you Are you evevtually going to get better or is it 

a life long issue ??

• Posted

Melekie , 

Have the found relief for you ? I have been suffering for two years now and they think I'm nuts because I keep saying it's the same pain and same place where my diverticulitis was found . I have had many infections since 2009 and was left with a small amount of pain but since February 2015 no end invite constant pain and attacks they kept giving me pain meds that don't work so I recently stopped them because of long term use 2 years and many procedures at pain management but they are not getting this is my diverticulitis nothing else I'm a 43 year old female . My life has come to a complete stop 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.